PDA

View Full Version : Fall Update First Day of fall? Or That week?

TheColdWolf
08-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Hey, do you think that the fall update will come around the first day of fall or that week or so after the fall update? Just wondering what you all think:)

JC
08-11-2008, 05:37 PM
It will be sometime this Fall, that is all anyone knows...

Though I would hedge my bet that it will come sometime in December, same as last year.

TheColdWolf
08-11-2008, 05:43 PM

Though I would hedge my bet that it will come sometime in December, same as last year.

I hate it when they do that:( Because my gears of war isn't working and would like it to when the update comes out so that i can complete it before gears of war 2 comes out.

blackflame0729
08-11-2008, 05:49 PM

Proboly...Thats Microsoft for ya...

dm master
08-11-2008, 06:50 PM
it wont be early fall i bet

also wont you need a working disk to install your game onto the HDD?

vI Starlight Iv
08-11-2008, 07:07 PM
it wont be early fall i bet

also wont you need a working disk to install your game onto the HDD?

yeh it wont work

iNSANiTY
08-11-2008, 07:13 PM
What do you mean you wont need a working disk to install a game?

kiwi18
08-11-2008, 07:59 PM
There is a new feature with the update where instead of having the game disc spin, you download it onto the HDD and it will play it from there, without the spinning.

Gorjira
08-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Can each disk only be downloaded once? If not, the game may be passed around and MS could lose a lot of money...Im sure they have considerd this though, like the DLC coded thing.

The Pants Party
08-11-2008, 08:10 PM
The game checks for the disc when you start the game. It still has to be in the tray for the game to load, it will just run off the HD after that so it won't have to spin and it won't be noisy. MS aren't that dumb. :p

Gorjira
08-11-2008, 08:53 PM
The game checks for the disc when you start the game. It still has to be in the tray for the game to load, it will just run off the HD after that so it won't have to spin and it won't be noisy. MS aren't that dumb. :p

I thought as much. Thanks.

Gariom
08-11-2008, 09:00 PM
The point of installing your disks on the HDD is to reduce load times by around 30% I think that's what they said anyway. But as a piracy check (presumably) you have to put the disk in. I can't wait for this update!

But if the update does come out during Fall, it's gonna be really late Fall.

finative
08-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Don't you mean the spring update?
Yeah, last years spring update is coming next year. lol

I would guess sometime between early october and late november.

RFT 123
08-11-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm guessing the 1st week in November.

DigitalFury
08-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Man, hearing about this update and how you're gonna be able to DL your games to the HDD makes me happy I bought the Elite. Okay, so I know this will reduce load time by about 1/3, but will this also reduce framerate drops? I was playing Civ Rev the other night, and had like 9 cities all building something (Mostly building and wonders) but it made the framerate drop to a snails pace.

Krawk
08-11-2008, 11:11 PM
If this is true, Im going to save up for the 120GB, knowing microsoft games of the HD will take alot of memory!
Correct me if I have any of this wrong?!:p

True I Skill
08-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Hm.. i kinda dont see the point In uploading games to my xbox360.. i dont mind the noise it makes? :S
Any1 know what uploading it will do..? Also if u upload it and put disk in, and the disk breaks will u still be able to play it if the disk is broken?

Artamus
08-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Technically, you don't upload, you install.
Works the same as with PC's.
And no, if it breaks you won't be able to play.

Krawk
08-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Technically, you don't upload, you install.
Works the same as with PC's.
And no, if it breaks you won't be able to play.

I hope you have the choice to install it, because i dont mind the sound either... the intercooler makes enough sound as it is :(

Xilynx
08-12-2008, 01:08 AM
There will be no change to game installation with the fall update. We install games onto the 360 now. The PS3 on the other hand offers gamers to upload certain games to the HDD for faster load times. However, it's not worth the space if you ask me.

This option will NOT be available with the fall update. If somebody knows to the contrary, please include a link to your source. And to answer the question, all MS has indicated is that the update will come in LATE fall. Fall goes until December, so who knows.

xepherys
08-12-2008, 01:54 AM
There will be no change to game installation with the fall update. We install games onto the 360 now. The PS3 on the other hand offers gamers to upload certain games to the HDD for faster load times. However, it's not worth the space if you ask me.

This option will NOT be available with the fall update. If somebody knows to the contrary, please include a link to your source. And to answer the question, all MS has indicated is that the update will come in LATE fall. Fall goes until December, so who knows.

If you've read enough to "know" it's late fall, you should've read enough to "know" about the game installations to HDD. Try here (http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/08/09/video-fall-update-game-installation-process/), here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_System_Software), here (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/17/details-on-the-new-xbox-experience-search-hard-drive-play-ale/) or here (http://gamerscoreblog.com/press/archive/2008/07/14/mrcwhtnltrnxe.aspx). Are those references enough?

Also, you don't currently install games onto a 360. What are you smoking and why haven't you passed it along? UPDATES install on the 360, because they cannot be written to ROM-optical media. Obviously...

Hmmm, you WILL need a (non-broken) disc for the game to work. The reduced load times are the largest benefit, noise is a secondary benefit.

Yes, you will still be able to play all current games WITHOUT installing to the HDD. That's just an option.

This has been a public service announcement!

EDIT: And yes, for many games it WILL be worth it. Notably GTA IV would benefit from faster load times. Bad Company MAY have a benefit on mutiplayer maps as you spawn into a new game after the map is loaded on your system. Having the game on HDD may offer benefits of getting a jump on people without the game loaded on HDD. *shrug* Though they may patch for exactly that reason.

mjc0961
08-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I thought it was going to be more like the PS3's system where it still loads things from the disc now and then, but it has to load from the disc far less often. But the games won't load from the disc at all? That's pretty awesome. Maybe this update will be worth dealing with Mii knockoffs after all. On the downside, we'll all probably get stiffed on the price of 60 or 120 GB hard drives now.

kantizuni
08-13-2008, 01:14 PM
It's not worth the disc space if you ask me.
I have the 120GB drive, and admittedly, I have 93GB free, but I still won't be copying any games to my hard drive.

@MJC0961 - 120GB drives will probably go down in price, and there will most likely be a 250GB drive come out (or something around that range). Especially with the introduction of netflix.

Back on-topic: I hope it comes out on the first official day of fall. :D But I can see it getting delayed a month or two..

xepherys
08-13-2008, 02:22 PM
It's not worth the disc space if you ask me.
I have the 120GB drive, and admittedly, I have 93GB free, but I still won't be copying any games to my hard drive.

It could be worth it for SOME games

@MJC0961 - 120GB drives will probably go down in price, and there will most likely be a 250GB drive come out (or something around that range). Especially with the introduction of netflix.

Man, you guys don't read ANY of the actual news before posting here, do you? Netflix is streaming only, which is why there will not be HD content initially. 480p content only, streaming (so HDD space is not a valid argument regarding this as there won't be more than a dozen or so MB cached at any time).

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/events/e32008/articles/0714-netflixteamup.htm

This movie-watching innovation will be available to Xbox LIVEŽ Gold members who are also Netflix subscribers, and will let those users enjoy streaming movies from Netflix on Xbox LIVE at no additional cost.

TheColdWolf
08-13-2008, 09:03 PM
I like the idea of netflix doing that i might become a member of netflix for that:) And didn't they say we can get invited and watch our friend's movies?

Gyouseki_Puro
08-13-2008, 09:17 PM
mid december probably like the last