PDA

View Full Version : Is my 360 dying?

hopesfall2win
08-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Well I've had my elite for a year and a half now, I lay it on its side with plenty of breathing room, and started playing gears today and had graphic glitches.

After about 10mins of play time, the colors go to hell, they started turning bright green and purple, with blocks everywhere. Pretty sure that's a video card problem, am i right?

I've not gotten any red rings or error codes though, so I'm just unplugging the power strip and all cords to the 360 for the night, putting it up straight and getting dust off.

Should I go ahead and send it in to squaretrade (where i got my warranty) or give it a couple days to rest?

rhino185
08-14-2008, 01:24 AM
You should give it a day or two to cool down. Then you should try different games and if it does the same thing then I would bring it back.

A Satyr
08-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Graphics card malfucktion or cable problem, i had the same thing. First make sure your cable is set to Standard if you dont have HD or vice versa, make sure its set to the right setting, if that isnt the problem then you have to send it in...

hopesfall2win
08-14-2008, 01:34 AM
Graphics card malfucktion or cable problem, i had the same thing. First make sure your cable is set to Standard if you dont have HD or vice versa, make sure its set to the right setting, if that isnt the problem then you have to send it in...

I'm using HDMI, but I know the cord you're talking about with the SDTV/HDTV switch on it.

The power brick had some dust inside, standing the 360 up now, hopefully it'll be better tomorrow. Does it matter if the power brick sits on carpet? It's not moving so I can't imagine friction or static electricity being a problem.

A Satyr
08-14-2008, 01:36 AM
If its not the switch its internal, send er in...

dm master
08-14-2008, 04:06 PM
you have your console set to output the right definition for your TV?

mine reset the settings once so it could happen to you

if it dont work call MS or something

hopesfall2win
08-14-2008, 06:43 PM
you have your console set to output the right definition for your TV?

mine reset the settings once so it could happen to you

if it dont work call MS or something

When it happened to you, the graphics in the games had blocks show up and bright green/purple filled your screen though? It doesn't seem like a cord problem, but I've unplugged everything and let it sit overnight. Plus I haven't touched the cords in weeks.

Crimson Ridley
08-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Well my mates died while I was playing Halo 3 on it. Suddenly everything you have said happened while I was playing. Switched if off then back on again and got 1 Red Light, so I'd guess it's about time for yours to go to console heaven. Or Microsoft, where ever.

Bax x360a
08-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Well I've had my elite for a year and a half now, I lay it on its side with plenty of breathing room, and started playing gears today and had graphic glitches.

After about 10mins of play time, the colors go to hell, they started turning bright green and purple, with blocks everywhere. Pretty sure that's a video card problem, am i right?

I've not gotten any red rings or error codes though, so I'm just unplugging the power strip and all cords to the 360 for the night, putting it up straight and getting dust off.

Should I go ahead and send it in to squaretrade (where i got my warranty) or give it a couple days to rest? Is Gears of War the only game this happens in? It sounds more like a glitch with the game instead of a hardware problem. I believe I had that problem with Gears aswell, along with Bioshock also. If it starts happening with every game you play then yeah, get a replacement console, but if its just Gears, I'd try out a different copy before sending your console anywhere.

hopesfall2win
08-14-2008, 10:03 PM
It happened with Gears and Cod4, i figured since it was 2 games its probably all of them.

About the arcade games, when I ship it to my warranty place, i probably wont get my hdd back unless i just dont send it to them, on my new 360 will I be able to redownload the games without it being a hassle? Or should I save the data to a flash drive if that works? Otherwise I'll just keep the hdd and send them a different one.

A Satyr
08-14-2008, 10:08 PM
You dont have to send them your Hard drive just the xbox unelss they tell you to send it otherwise they steal it...