PDA

View Full Version : Nuke and SDI

Saffa_UK
08-14-2008, 06:07 PM
I've been playing this game for some time now and am not too certain about the order of tech in the above instance. Does anyone else feel that the ability to build the SDI defence should, at the very least, be allowed to be built very soon after the discovery of Atomic Thoery.

Maybe I am playing it incorrectly, but the ability for SDI seems so late in the games in comparison to getting a nuke. I know there is only one nuke, but it still seem out of sync to me.

MartiniKiss
08-14-2008, 08:02 PM
i always thought sdi was kind of pointless to begin with anyway because no other civilizations nuked me or were able to build a nuke before i was :)

Darth Odan
08-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Atomic Theory was made in the 1940s. The SDI was proposed in the 1980s, never made. So, its fair for the tech/ time gap.

Seraph Metatron
08-15-2008, 02:14 AM
Have you guys seen the SDI work? Does it always work? I have always been ahead of my enemies when I play, so I tried nuking my own city to see how it worked. I picked a city that I knew I had built SDI in, I confirmed the launch and it still nuked the city. Didn't know if it failed to work since it was a friendly city. Any thoughts?

eXtreme 1138
08-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Have you guys seen the SDI work? Does it always work? I have always been ahead of my enemies when I play, so I tried nuking my own city to see how it worked. I picked a city that I knew I had built SDI in, I confirmed the launch and it still nuked the city. Didn't know if it failed to work since it was a friendly city. Any thoughts?

Lol that idea never even ocurred to me, anyway the only time SDI has ever worked with me is when I nuked an enemy capitol. As far as I know though SDI will always work, or at least that's what I've always assumed.

Vervous
08-15-2008, 07:31 PM
The SDI worked against me once, boy was I annoyed when it struck.

I always get hyped up for an incoming nuclear explosion, and I completely forgot that the SDI structure existed in the game until it zapped my rocket out of the sky. :(

tadpeters
08-16-2008, 12:32 AM
The AI are pretty smart at building the SDI's so don't plan on getting a big explosion a lot of the times unless the city is pretty new.

J.Waddo
08-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Dont get me wrong, I really like how they included them into the games, theres just a few problems that stand out for me:

1. Once we use our first nuke we should be able to build more as units.
2. The other day, I confirmed a nuke launch on some Russian Bombers who were hovering above the sea, the nuke exploded, only once the smoke had cleared, they were still there!! I dont know how the hell a nuclear missile can go through a shit load of giant planes!!!!! What also pissed me off is that those very same bombers invaded my Japanese city of Kyoto, killing my Modern infantry (def of 156) with an attack of 81, causing me to lose the game 2 turns before the end of it:mad:

KatDiesel
08-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Dont get me wrong, I really like how they included them into the games, theres just a few problems that stand out for me:

1. Once we use our first nuke we should be able to build more as units.
2. The other day, I confirmed a nuke launch on some Russian Bombers who were hovering above the sea, the nuke exploded, only once the smoke had cleared, they were still there!! I dont know how the hell a nuclear missile can go through a shit load of giant planes!!!!! What also pissed me off is that those very same bombers invaded my Japanese city of Kyoto, killing my Modern infantry (def of 156) with an attack of 81, causing me to lose the game 2 turns before the end of it:mad:

It is a surface to surface missile, of course it wouldn't hurt the planes unless they were sitting on the ground. They were just flying above the explosion.

J.Waddo
08-17-2008, 03:43 AM
It is a surface to surface missile, of course it wouldn't hurt the planes unless they were sitting on the ground. They were just flying above the explosion.
But surely the power of the explosion should blow them up
Also, the SDI does work, did it twice tonight, one nuke on Tipoli (or whatever, some Arab city) whilst playing Beta Centauri on King difficulty, and another nuke on Atlanta was stopped by the SDI when I reloaded the same game.