PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to link my laptop to my 360??

RickOfPompey
08-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Basically, I have some films on my laptop, but due to a dodgy disk drive I cant copy them off, is tere a way of linking to my 360 so I can watch it through that??
Apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anythin on the subject/.

Daywalker-san
08-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Not easily, the only way i think would work is if the 360 and comp were on the same network, and you could stream the movie though the network
I would recommend using a memory stick or a portable HDD to play the movies on the 360

Never Final
08-14-2008, 10:59 PM
the movie also has to be a certain file type/codec. Im not sure off hand what the 360 accepts but there are tons of ways to do this process. Id suggest google for this. Ive tried doing it with windows media center and almost got it. Im pretty certain they both have to be on the same network.

Daywalker-san
08-14-2008, 11:03 PM
It suprisingly supports a deacent amount of codecs, DivX and XviD work for me on it and the majority of encoded video files are one of those two

kantizuni
08-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Yup. I never use DVDs anymore. I've always had all my movies/TV shows stored on my computer, and since my computer and xbox are both tied into the internet through the same network, it's a piece of cake.
All you need is both machines up on the network, and windows media player (or Zune software).
Then go here!
http://www.xbox.com/en-us/support/systemuse/xbox360/digitalmedia/pc.htm

edit: To the post above me: Yeah, you initially have to download a couple of codec bundles from microsoft (it will automatically download when you try to play a not-yet-supported file) and then you can view almost any standard video type. I've yet to encounter one that won't play.

RickOfPompey
08-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks kantizuni, I've managed to link tem, but I can only play my music and pictures, what file types does te 360 play, all my films are AVI's, what would be best to convert them too??

LumberjackNate
08-15-2008, 01:37 AM
I have never had a problem playing AVI's on my 360, an easier way in my opinion would be to use a USB portable drive to play em. Windows' networking abilities are sketchy.

pwjuggalo
08-18-2008, 03:47 AM
ok first thing first go into you shared files like and all you videos need to go into the video file the 360 will only access that folder....also if you looking for a good program to transfer things into xvid i would reccommend auto gordians knot...very very simple, takes a little while but you will end up with dvd quality in sync files every time you can download it here...http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/autogk.cfm/v2_45
hope this helps

Nerotic Shadows
08-18-2008, 03:43 PM
The easiest and probably cheapest way I've found to do this is to connect your Xbox up to your PC, go into Windows Media Player (i think it has to be version 11, not sure though), then go to

Tools > Options > Library tab > Configure sharing

Then you if it's connected properly you should see Xbox 360. Choose allow for that and it should work. You should be able to choose your PC from the source option.

I think it only supports the same file types as windows media player does.

NoShineMM
08-19-2008, 03:30 PM
I have no problem playing AVI files, make sure you save em all to the same folder so the 360 seems em. Mine works great now i dont gotta burn em to DVDs anymore.