PDA

View Full Version : Question About Official Memory Unit

zI Beef Iz
08-14-2008, 10:31 PM
I've just been reading on another forum about recovering your gamertag on a friend's console and various problems associated with it. The one that worried me was that somebody recovered their gamertag and then deleted it before they left, when they recovered it on their 360 back home, their saved data still showed up on the console but could not be loaded on their games (i.e. they had lost everything). Has anyone else experienced problems with recovering gamertags on other consoles?

My current situation is that my brother has a 360, so my account and saved data is all on that 360. I'll be getting my own 360 soon, and will need to transfer all my stuff over onto it from my brother's 360, so, if I get this 'official memory unit', does it store your saved data and your Live profile? (i.e. if I take the memory unit round to a friend's house and put it in their 360, my saved data will be there but I will also be able to load my profile without having to recover it, thus ruling out any problems with losing the saved data?).

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully somebody will be able to help. I'll need the memory unit when I get my 360 anyway, so it makes sense to get it if I can load my profile without recovery on another console.

--

EDIT: Forgot to add, would it make a difference if I bought a second hand one? Because I can get one for half the price, and there's no point getting a brand new one if the second hand one doesn't do anything different and if it'll only be getting used a few times, is there?

Daywalker-san
08-14-2008, 10:52 PM
I strongly reccomend looking for a second hand 512Mb card, it comes with a free copy of Geometry Wars

zI Beef Iz
08-14-2008, 10:56 PM
My local CeX (games store) has 4+ second hand 512MB units for 15 each, and I would much rather pay that than 35 for a brand new one. Do you know the answer to my questions though?

kantizuni
08-14-2008, 11:18 PM
I don't know what this memory unit you speak of is...
I've loaded my data onto friends consoles a few times to play co-op games, and all I ever did was go to my friends house, "recover gamertag" on his console and it downloaded all my stuff onto his console through the interweb. When I got home, I just recovered the same way, back onto my console.
Never had any issues or anything with it. No missing data or whatever.
If you recover like that and you want to use DLC, you have to download it again, but it doesn't cost you anything to redownload.

Hope that helped, and wasn't completely off-base. lol

zI Beef Iz
08-14-2008, 11:20 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ggCxHjmkL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

^ Memory unit.

I think I'll just get one, as I'll be needing one within the next few months anyway and it seems a lot easier and safer than recovering the gamertag.

Never Final
08-15-2008, 08:08 AM
I keep my gamertag profile and all my popular saves on my 512 at all times. I just keep it with me so that no matter what box i play on i have my gamertag and saves. Ill be screwed if i ever lose the thing but I keep a good eye on it at all times.

Scurvy Curr
08-15-2008, 03:38 PM
I have never used it to put my gamer tag on but they are well worth it if you are playing a game that only allows one save at a time and you need the help of another save...DEAD RISING for example...which I hate with a passion!!!!!

zI Beef Iz
08-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Decided to just get a brand new one for 25 rather than the second-hand one, it came with a free copy of Worms too, which I'd rather have than Geometry Wars. I copied some save data onto it and my gamer profile, I didn't think it'd be so easy.