PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about playing NTSC/J format games.

Drake O'Phile
08-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I've done my fair share of television format research, and I know enough to know that although NTSC and NTSC/J are nearly identical, games in this format will not work. If I'd like to play an imported game on my console what would I need aside from a 360 from overseas? Would I need a region modification chip or are those not available for current-gen consoles.

Figgsy91
08-17-2008, 07:03 PM
My GRAW 2 is NTSC/J and it works fine on my PAL console. It's not modded either. I think some games work but not all of them.

vI Starlight Iv
08-17-2008, 07:25 PM
how do you know if its going to work?

Drake O'Phile
08-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Well I mean like, if I wanted to purchase an imported console title that is NTSC/J format, how would I go about playing it on my North American NTSC console? Would I need a special boot CD (ala PS1/PS2) or a mod chip or something? Or would this just absolutely not work at all hands down?

I know a fair bit about television formatting and other things but when it comes to console modding and how to get around region codes I know nothing.

Ypuh
08-17-2008, 09:24 PM
NTSC and NTSC-J often work fine on PAL consoles. I have 3 NTSC games (RBSV:2, UT3 and NG2) imported at gamehubs.com.

Drake O'Phile
08-17-2008, 09:31 PM
So it's looking like I'm going to need to purchase either an NTSC/J or PAL console?

Artamus
08-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Depends on the games you wanna import. But most likely you'll have to import the console aswell.

pwjuggalo
08-18-2008, 03:19 AM
well they make mod chips that do remove region code locks on the 360, i do not know much about them but i do know they are kinda pricey a buddy of mine has a modded 360 and he can play american, japanese and pal games

JC
08-18-2008, 07:48 AM
So it's looking like I'm going to need to purchase either an NTSC/J or PAL console?
You will need an NTSC-J console, if you want to play a lot of Japansese and Asian games. Some of them will be region free and work on PAL, NTSC consoles. But most are not.

Drake O'Phile
08-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Okay, well if I need another console (no biggie I can just put money away for it from my paychecks at work and such) can I have the same Gamertag on BOTH consoles (Dracophile)? And if I only use the Japanese console for imported games, will my gamerscore still remain updated even if I go off and unlock points on my regular American console?

By the way I appreciate you guys being so helpful. :)

Jdm
08-19-2008, 05:10 AM
Okay, well if I need another console (no biggie I can just put money away for it from my paychecks at work and such) can I have the same Gamertag on BOTH consoles (Dracophile)? And if I only use the Japanese console for imported games, will my gamerscore still remain updated even if I go off and unlock points on my regular American console?

First and foremost, let's keep the discussions of "mod chips" out.;)

Yes, you can have the same tag on both consoles, but you won't be able to play on your tag with two consoles at the same time.

Your Gamerscore will always be updated whether you use the NTSC-J or NTSC consoles.

As for the games, there are selected titles that are Region-free, but most are restricted to either NTSC, NTSC-J, or PAL. Therefore, you'll need that certain specified console to play the games.

TomoyoN
08-19-2008, 05:52 PM

Like the poster above me said you can use the same gamertag on any of the consoles as long as it is not similtaneously... For ease of mobility and for your sanity I suggest you purchase a Xbox 360 Memory Card... They come in 64MB / 256MB / 512MB flavors... I suggest going for the 512 MB [MSRP of $50 i believe] as the more games you play the bigger ur gamertag info gets I am hovering around 95k gamerscore and my profile is about 50MB now...

The memory card allows you to just plug and play your profile on any Xbox 360 console so it saves you time recovering it over and over everytime you switch console regions.

JC
08-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Like the poster above me said you can use the same gamertag on any of the consoles as long as it is not similtaneously... For ease of mobility and for your sanity I suggest you purchase a Xbox 360 Memory Card... They come in 64MB / 256MB / 512MB flavors... I suggest going for the 512 MB [MSRP of $50 i believe] as the more games you play the bigger ur gamertag info gets I am hovering around 95k gamerscore and my profile is about 50MB now...

The memory card allows you to just plug and play your profile on any Xbox 360 console so it saves you time recovering it over and over everytime you switch console regions.
I just use my HDD when I switch between consoles as they are both in the same room, so not much point in a Memory Unit.