PDA

View Full Version : When I go to test connection my "IP Address" says Failed.

Inyaface13
08-21-2008, 12:48 AM
My router for my living room computer messed up the other day so I plugged my Xbox 360 Ethernet cable directly into my modem (Unplugged the internet from my computer and plugged the ethernet cable into its spot).

Now when I try to sign in to Xbox Live on my Xbox 360 it cant connect so when I go to test the connection it says my "IP Address" has Failed.

Why does it say that?
and
What can I do to fix it?

Do I HAVE to have a router to play on Xbox Live?

dakisbac
08-21-2008, 01:01 AM
Don't know how to fix it aside from answering your second question, which is no. Just do a direct connection to your console from your modem.

Gariom
08-21-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm not entirely sure if you NEED a router to play online. I'm pretty sure as long as you have a wireless modem it should work fine. But mine was doing that to. Everything was normal, it just wouldn't connect. I restarted my computer and my modem, router, everything. Nothing worked. Then the next day it just started working for some reason. So I guess you should wait a couple days.

dakisbac
08-21-2008, 01:06 AM
Like I said. You do NOT need a router to play online. A direct connection from modem to 360 is perfectly fine (in fact it was what I've been using the last year and a half up until recently).

Kind of a pain in the ass to be constantly switching back and forth unless your comp and 360 are right next to each other, like mine

Inyaface13
08-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Don't know how to fix it aside from answering your second question, which is no. Just do a direct connection to your console from your modem.

Yeah when I plugged my 360 directly into my modem my Xbox 360 could not connect to LIVE and when I tested the connection it said my IP Address failed.

I'm not entirely sure if you NEED a router to play online. I'm pretty sure as long as you have a wireless modem it should work fine. But mine was doing that to. Everything was normal, it just wouldn't connect. I restarted my computer and my modem, router, everything. Nothing worked. Then the next day it just started working for some reason. So I guess you should wait a couple days.

Yeah I dont have a wireless modem. Im pretty sure my router is trased cause when we plug it in the power light turns a dim red.

Gariom
08-21-2008, 01:17 AM
It might just be the router. If you can, get it replaced or borrow someone else's router and test it. If theirs works, it's your router is broken. If it doesn't work, then I don't know what's wrong.

Inyaface13
08-21-2008, 01:23 AM
It might just be the router. If you can, get it replaced or borrow someone else's router and test it. If theirs works, it's your router is broken. If it doesn't work, then I don't know what's wrong.

Yeah I am goin to get a router ASAP. I threw the other router in the closet. I was just wondering why my Xbox 360 says my IP Address has failed when I have my ethernet cable from my Xbox 360 plugged directly into my modem.