PDA

View Full Version : Gamefly: is it worth it?

CaptCrunchPants
08-22-2008, 12:49 AM
The Long: I just want to know what people's opinion is on gamefly. i have been using it for about 2 months now. I am not sure if I am getting my moneys worth or if it is even possible. Takes 4 days to receive a game, god forbid a weekend falls in that. Also I have a problem renting games I feel I can't get the full 1000gs (I have a completionist problem). Like Ninja Gaiden 2 and stuff because I know I can get the full points and still get my moneys worth from gamefly. But games like Timeshift I wanted to play but never wanted to own so it seems worth it.

The Short: Should my $17 a month be saved to buy games.

naptownsteeler
08-22-2008, 01:10 AM
No. Use gamefly for what it is. A way to play more games than you normally would by just buying them. If you like it keep it longer and finish it. If you don't send it back. It's definitely worth it.

Marshallkev
08-22-2008, 01:42 AM
Yes I have it and think its worth getting, better than buy 60$ games, you get 3 mos. of gameplay for the cost of one game

wcgalo
08-22-2008, 01:46 AM
I think it is good for games you want to play but don't intend to buy, just like you said. I don't use it, but it sounds good just to play a game that you don't want to buy. There are games that I will buy for sure though, but others i would just borrow or rent.

Gears of War 2 is a game i would buy.

Too Human is a game i would rent.

DanteElDiablo
08-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Its a good deal for those that just want it for the achievements or you just want to play the game.

But I still buy games too.

ShaunMichael80
08-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Use Blockbuster....same price...same games...quicker service

Omega Deez
08-22-2008, 09:27 AM
I think it's worth every penny. I even buy games from them because alot of the time they're cheaper than Gamestop's used games.

xCOBRAx
08-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Use Blockbuster....same price...same games...quicker service

what planet are you on? blockbusters total access package is not the same price game for game as gamefly is. not only that blockbuster doesnt have close to the selection that gamefly does.

heres a few tips i can reccommend that will hopefully improve your experience and turn around time.

IF you have multiple post office's in your area, try and find out if one of them has a system gamefly terms as "FAST RETURN". Basically what happens is when the post office scans the code on the envelop gamefly is instantly alerted to the fact that their game is coming back and will proceed ot send your next game to you. I have to PO's in my town and found out that the one my mail carrier takes my mail to does not have fast return and the other one does. A little bit more of a hassel but it speeds up my turn around time 10 fold.

Another suggestion i have is try and put your games in the mail friday night. For whatever reason i have noticed that if my game is sent out saturday i always get it monday, whereas if the game is sent out monday it could be as late as thursday before i see it.

Lastly think about your 17 bucks this way, the next time you rent a game you thought was going to be awesome and that you might have actually bought turns out shitty, think of the money you have saved! (that was a horribly written sentance)

A Satyr
08-22-2008, 10:20 AM
When i used gamefly i payed 20$ to get 2 games a week and then wait a full week to ship the games from washington to califuckingfornia... that is way to long... so i spend 40$ at blockbuster to walk 5mins to the store and pick up something new whenever i want. Gamefly 1 month got 4 games, BB 1 month got 9 games...

Albino Goose
08-22-2008, 12:05 PM
When i used gamefly i payed 20$ to get 2 games a week and then wait a full week to ship the games from washington to califuckingfornia... that is way to long... so i spend 40$ at blockbuster to walk 5mins to the store and pick up something new whenever i want. Gamefly 1 month got 4 games, BB 1 month got 9 games...

But you are still paying more aren't you?

A Satyr
08-22-2008, 01:06 PM
But you are still paying more aren't you?
twice the price double the games and 1/1000th of the time gamefly takes... i'll spend and extra 20 for it...

rrapp00
08-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Gamefly is easily worth it as long as you have the time to play the games. If you don't like waiting the 4 days to get a game then try egtting 2 games out at once that way whenever you send the other back you still have a game sitting at home with you to play. Or yes if you have a blockbuster near by do that only thing is their game selection is very slim compared to gamefly.

CAMOUFLAGEiPOD
08-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Blockbuster is about the same as gamefly , either one is a good deal.
I had gameznflix, thinking I could get both movies and games, I paid for a whole year up front, and probably received 3 or 4 games worth playing, they never went in order of my que, and even tho I had over 50 titles in my que they always said they were out of my selections, biggest scam on the internet.

ShaunMichael80
08-22-2008, 02:17 PM
what planet are you on? blockbusters total access package is not the same price game for game as gamefly is. not only that blockbuster doesnt have close to the selection that gamefly does.

heres a few tips i can reccommend that will hopefully improve your experience and turn around time.

IF you have multiple post office's in your area, try and find out if one of them has a system gamefly terms as "FAST RETURN". Basically what happens is when the post office scans the code on the envelop gamefly is instantly alerted to the fact that their game is coming back and will proceed ot send your next game to you. I have to PO's in my town and found out that the one my mail carrier takes my mail to does not have fast return and the other one does. A little bit more of a hassel but it speeds up my turn around time 10 fold.

Another suggestion i have is try and put your games in the mail friday night. For whatever reason i have noticed that if my game is sent out saturday i always get it monday, whereas if the game is sent out monday it could be as late as thursday before i see it.

Lastly think about your 17 bucks this way, the next time you rent a game you thought was going to be awesome and that you might have actually bought turns out shitty, think of the money you have saved! (that was a horribly written sentance)

Planet Earth?

Its called a Game Pass...2 games out at a time...return whenever you want..no waiting a week to get a new one..

plumbpist
08-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Gamefly is absolutely worth the money. I only have the single game plan and I use it rent everything im not sure of, or not that enthusiastic about. I still buy games I know im gonna play for a long time. So even if I have to wait 4 days for my next game, I can go back and complete another scenario on Civ:Rev for example...

killerharu45
08-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Gamefly is definitely a better choice. Since they added a new shipping location in California, I get new games in 3 or 4 days. Its a great way for me to finally get 1000 on the games that I gave up on a while ago. And I can try new games and see if I really want to buy. Its hardly expensive at all. I just got 3 months for $30 with a special deal so I think Gamefly is the way to go

CaptCrunchPants
08-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Well I will probably continue to use it since it is working out fairly well. Also I really don't mind waiting 4 days for a game because I always have some achievements I am working towards on my own games.

YanksForTheWin
08-23-2008, 02:18 AM
GameFly is godly, I can play a lot more games and not have to pay 60 each for it. Only games I truly buy are the ones I think are really really worth owning and has a lot of things to do, such as Oblivion.

dudecrazy108
08-23-2008, 02:28 AM
Well I have the two games one and its good. Takes like 5 days to get it and most of the time they are horrible and I send them back the next day but it saves me money from going out and buying games that would stink.

oEliteSniper X
08-23-2008, 03:37 PM
I definitely think it's worth it, I don't have the money to spend $60 on games I want so I rent most of them. I get my games in about 2 days since there is a GF warehouse about an hour from where I live. I've bought some games from them and delivery is very quick. I guess it depends where you live if you get games quick or not. For me it's been worth it because I've rented a lot of games from them, more than I'd get to play if I bought them.

vI-Youneek-Iv
08-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Gamefly is great but the price is over the top theres Gameznflix where you get 3 games for $16 but the only problem is that sometimes it takes longer to ship and not a whole variety of games to chose from. I would pick Gamefly way more titles and faster shipping.

NISSM0
08-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I have used Blockbuster and currently use Gamefly and perfer gamefly. Gamefly has added more warehouses making shipping better than it has been.

Pyroman31
08-23-2008, 11:05 PM
I had a membership with them for awhile.

Until they started to ship games that were like numbered 20th on my list. Not to mention the games they shipped me were scratched and didn't work. Ended the membership after they shipped me a 4th game that was too scratched to play.

Piccolo549
08-23-2008, 11:10 PM
I had a membership with them for awhile.

Until they started to ship games that were like numbered 20th on my list. Not to mention the games they shipped me were scratched and didn't work. Ended the membership after they shipped me a 4th game that was too scratched to play.

you should only put games on your list that you want to play and as far as a scrached disc you can go to their customer service and theyll send you your next game right away.

ConclusionZ
08-24-2008, 01:53 AM
I don't got it but keep it if your video store doesn't have certain titles.

SHA0L1NSTYL3
01-28-2009, 04:23 PM
I think if you are using it to whore points its awesome, I can get around 10 games a month (2 out plan) just knocking out the achivements and sending them back ASAP.

eXyle
01-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Gamefly definitely needs to open up in Europe too

Telexen
01-28-2009, 05:50 PM
I think if you are using it to whore points its awesome, I can get around 10 games a month (2 out plan) just knocking out the achivements and sending them back ASAP.

I'm not sure how you get that many games. I sent back The Orange Box and it took them a full week to get it. Based on past experience, it will be another week before they even send me out a new game.

The Bunnyin8or
01-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Definitely keep it. I've only had gamefly for only a week and half and it's AWESOME!!1

dreadlock11
01-28-2009, 07:14 PM
i dont have it but i would like to get it

onenonly034
01-28-2009, 07:34 PM
i would not have even close to the gamerscore i have today if it wasnt for gamefly. If you want to get your gamerscore up quickly then i would highly recommend them.

gatorbait
01-28-2009, 08:30 PM
It really depends what you expect to get out of it. I would use it to play some of the shorter games that you know you can finish up in less than a week but I'm starting to lean more towards buying games cheap and then just reselling them when I'm done. Obviously there are some games that you're going to want to buy regardless. It's a great way to rack up some of the easy 1k games but I'm starting to think it's better off to just buy a game that interests you when it's on sale somewhere or even on ebay for a cheaper price and then just sell it when you're done.

HacksawDoomx187
01-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Definitely keep it. I have saved a boat load over the past year with a 3 game plan and have no intention of stopping.

Metalteeth9
01-29-2009, 04:29 AM
I am on a college campus. I don't have a car. The nearest Blockbuster is a 10 minute walk away. And I'm LAZY!

Gamefly is amazing for me. The game comes straight to my dorm, I send it out from my dorm.

FourChan
01-29-2009, 07:31 AM
People are posting in an old thread here lol.

PwnStar
01-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Not only is renting from Gamefly economical, if you decide to keep any of the games, they're about 50% off of prices you'll find in the game stores! Plus, if you can really bang out games and get all the achievements, it's the perfect situation.

Gamefly is cheaper than renting from typical movie/game rental establishments. Take into consideration:

gas + outrageous game rental prices + late-fees (you know you'll have them) = Gamefly > everything.

Bhhawks78
01-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Has saved my tons of money from buying overhyped/way too short games like Fable 2 and Gears 2.