PDA

View Full Version : Harmonix Covers: A retrospective

artvandel4y
08-22-2008, 07:48 AM
In the arms race against Guitar Hero, both companies have promised 100% master tracks. Rush's 1981 album Moving Pictures is now available for download featuring master versions of two songs that were covers, which is redundant and not worth 2 bucks. Masters are awesome, but it brings about the end of an era. I guess it kind of helps if you played GH2 as well for this, but my question is which band did they cover best. I require multiple songs covered from the same band, even if some are DLC.
From memory, the bands that qualify are: Rush, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, David Bowie and Iron Maiden. Let me know if I'm forgetting anything. All great bands from the 70's and 80's, some better covered than others. Vote on which were covered best.

fuzzy510
08-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Check again, there was no David Bowie in Guitar Hero II.

And I'm completely lost as to what the point of this is.

Dex
08-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Check again, there was no David Bowie in Guitar Hero II.

And I'm completely lost as to what the point of this is.
Yeah, I think he got it mixed up with Ziggy Stardust from GH1.

I think the point of this is, which (cover)band was the best in the last 2 Harmonix games (and being in both of course). Best at sounding like what they were covering, I'm guessing. I'd go with Iron Maiden. Lesser of... the evils.

If the OP wants to include DLC, you should also list The Pretenders

GH2, Tattooed Love Boys
RB, Brass In Pocket (DLC)

XVx KILL SWITCH
08-22-2008, 04:33 PM
I went with iron maiden too

nightmare975
08-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Those Black Sabbath covers were horrible! I went with Iron Maiden.

Matrarch
08-22-2008, 05:55 PM
How can we forget the cover of The Romantics' "What I Like About You"? A cover so good it lead to a lawsuit! -_-

SebastianSB
08-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Black Sabbath and Aerosmith both had horrible covers...I didn't even realize the Aerosmith ones were from that band originally until I looked at the band name. Iron Maiden was done pretty well.

fuzzy510
08-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Those of you all voting for Iron Maiden clearly haven't heard the master track for The Trooper, which was butchered in GH2.

artvandel4y
08-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Forgot about the pretenders. Sorry. For the record, Bowie had a three pack at launch of Rock Band, all covers, done poorly. Queen bitch was butchered worse than the trooper.

fuzzy510
08-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Forgot about the pretenders. Sorry. For the record, Bowie had a three pack at launch of Rock Band, all covers, done poorly. Queen bitch was butchered worse than the trooper.
Moonage Daydream is the master track, I think.

spankyNspronkle
08-23-2008, 02:45 AM
I am going to have to go with Iron Maiden as well.

CriscoDisco878
08-23-2008, 09:15 PM
rush is the worst, they totally butcher it, tom sawyer is so bad i cant even play it, im so glad they are releasing a master for it. so im gonna have to say aerosmith because i though the train kept a rollin was decent and maiden sounds bad, and black sabbath is pretty bad too.

RINGO
08-23-2008, 09:18 PM
I didn't think any of the covers were all that bad.... but iron maiden was probably the best.

I think people love RUSH so much (including myself) that they are a bit more critical of covers.

XVx KILL SWITCH
08-23-2008, 11:24 PM
yea, tom sawyer sounds HORRIBLE

edd__
08-24-2008, 02:10 AM
I prefer the cover of Train Kept a Rollin more than the Aerosmith version ;D

And yeah, Queen Bitch was butchered, was such a shame. Bowie is an inimitable artist tbh.

killerharu45
08-24-2008, 07:26 AM
I thought the rush covers were done well. obviously i dont listen to them enough because I can't tell the difference between the master and the original

CriscoDisco878
08-27-2008, 05:14 AM
I thought the rush covers were done well. obviously i dont listen to them enough because I can't tell the difference between the master and the original

yeah tom sawyer wasnt as bad as the limelight cover but it was bad. thats why im glad theyre releasing moving pictures, which did not come out today (stupid microsoft)

artvandel4y
09-14-2008, 06:08 AM
Train Kept a rollin' is a cover of Aerosmith, which covered 60's british rock group The Yardbirds. Clapton and Jimmy Page were the guitarists. If someone is singing it on the mic, that's three layers of cover. I fear this is the closest we will ever get to Zepplin in Rock Band :(.