PDA

View Full Version : PC gamers don't have to pay for live accounts

elitechief2004
08-24-2008, 10:09 AM
If anyone has read the newest issue of game informer you have no doubt read that PC gamers are getting their fees waived for their live accounts. I love Xbox live and the fact that you can play with people from all around the world, but having to pay for it gets kind of expensive since you have to have a high speed internet connection in order to use it. I personally think if the PC gamers don't have to pay console gamers shouldn't either. What's your opinion?

o0 TommyGuns 0o
08-24-2008, 10:17 AM
well it would be awsome if it didnt cost money to go on live but i cant see that happening anytime soon

Chud 360
08-24-2008, 10:38 AM
obviously it would be cool if it was free but the pc and ps3 (also free) just can't compete with xbox live and the catalogue of great games xbox has.

40 a year is not too bad

Artamus
08-24-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't see it happening any time soon since that's what makes Xbox Live so good.
And if you know the right places you can get 13 months for 44$.

Zee
08-24-2008, 11:23 AM
The PC version of windows live is just basic play. Theres no DLC, movies, etc... Thats why it's free. Besides the games we share the servers on are also free for 360 users. (like Shadowrun)

Dark Aspire
08-24-2008, 11:28 AM
40 isn't bad for 365/366 days. I would just be happy if they made it free for us too.

vI Starlight Iv
08-24-2008, 11:48 AM
never gona happen it costs microsoft to much in staff and servers etc to be ale to offer it for free

blackflame0729
08-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Well here's the thing, most games can't cross-platform play so they can only play with PC gamers (If you read game informer =p)

But fair? No. Are they gunna change it? Proboly Not. We just have to suck it up and deal with it.

Figgsy91
08-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't mind considering I only pay 25 for 13 months!!

Which isn't bad considering Microsoft offer a great service.

Gariom
08-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Sure I wish XBL was free (who doesn't) but 60 or $70 isn't all that bad for 13 months of it. Plus when the update comes out and it has Netflix's service on it, it'll be worth the price even more!

Ypuh
08-24-2008, 02:46 PM
I hope it doesn't get free. The support and quality XBox live has at the moment is huge, I enjoy every second of being on live. Also, XBox Live 13 months costs only €37,99.

To make a quick calc;
13 months x 30 days = 390 days.
€36,99 : 390 days = 9,4 cents a day.

I don't know about you guys, but if I go to the bar, a beer costs €2,-. And I'm not satisfied with just one beer. Also I'm not satisfied by going out just once a week. So, XBoxLive is almost free ^^.

wgpfly
08-24-2008, 04:52 PM
On the flip side of PC gamers not playing for a live account. Most PC gamers also have to rely on someone to buy a server or such for the games that they play.

Crimson Ridley
08-24-2008, 05:46 PM
If Xbox Live were free we'd have a million more idiots on it. I don't mind paying for a quality service, but if it became free, it would be like a cheap whore behind the pub, every idiot would use it, and thus make it less fun.
I prefer to play against people who pay as they wouldn't want to lose the right to use Xbox Live for being a prick.

Tenacious
08-24-2008, 06:31 PM
but if it became free, it would be like a cheap whore behind the pub, every idiot would use it, and thus make it less fun.

LOL

But yeah.. PC gamers don't have to pay to play certain games like Shadowrun, etc. It doesn't bother me that much, we need more vista users on Shadowrun anyway.

Segnius
08-24-2008, 10:06 PM
I'd imagine the reason for this is that PC gamers can play any game that they want online for free. So to not discourage them from buying Live games, they're making them free to play online as well. Makes sense, and it doesn't bother me.

Gun-Nut
08-25-2008, 08:24 AM
I believe the main reason for allowing LIVE on PC Side to be free is well mainly it does nothing new for PC Gamers other then adding in achievements tied to your Gamertag

Most of what it does can be found in a MMO like City of Heroes, You got Friends List you can Leave Messages & Hell you can even collect Badges which are at the end of the day achievements.

Also with Microsoft doing this I'm guessing more games will start to tack on LIVE + Achievements therefore making more money for MS anyways.

And I will end on saying that most people gaming on the PC have no doubt already got a Gold Sub from there 360.

DeafSunchaser
08-26-2008, 01:20 AM
i bought my 13 months live from ebay cost me 24.. it was sealed so im happy with paying for live!

the 24 i paid also came with live camera! so was mega pleased even tho the camera was not listed :)

neok182
08-26-2008, 01:29 AM
PC games, with the exception of MMOs have always had free online play. When Games For Windows LIVE (GFWL) was announced it made everyone think that they HAD to pay $50 to pay any GFWL game online, which was totally wrong but no one cared to actually read anything. all the $50 got you was matchmaking, truskill, and cross-platform. and with only 4-5 games, who cares.

The problem was that because of that persona, GFWL games did not sell very well at all. and there was not that much support from deveolopers either. so Microsoft realized that they can't make any money through it that way so they got rid of the charge and since then aparently Halo 2 and Gears of War for Windows have sold a lot of copies since they got rid of the charge.

But either way, it always should of been free. paying for cross-platform makes sence. paying for an MMO makes sence. but you can't ask PC gamers to pay for something that we've had for free for 10 years.

and for the record i've been a die-hard PC gamer since MYST. Got a 360 because i didn't want to wait 3 years for halo 3 and i wanted rock band lol.

Steelhead
08-26-2008, 02:57 AM
I don't know about you guys, but if I go to the bar, a beer costs 2,-. And I'm not satisfied with just one beer. Also I'm not satisfied by going out just once a week. So, XBoxLive is almost free ^^.
That's exactly how I justify the money I spend on gaming. I have a couple consoles and around 70 games. My wife never says a word though because it's a hell of a lot cheaper than booze used to be back when I was drinking every day. Plus, I'm doing it at home rather than laying around the bars.

It's really cool that there isn't a charge for Games for Windows, but I really don't mind paying for XBL. I most definitely get my money's worth.

radar616
08-26-2008, 12:15 PM
PC gamers have online for free for years, barring MMO's. Being told you have to pay to play online was a bit hard to take.

Santa
08-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Paying 40 is good, we get good features, especially coming up.