GTA IV 2008's biggest seller

Pheonix_Assassin

It is official, Grand Theft Auto IV is the biggest selling game this year, although the news probably won't come as that much of a shock to most gamers.

Statistics from the Top Global Markets Report, which is a compilation of data from computer game data collection companies Gfk (Europe), ChartTrack (UK), NPD (US) and Enterbrain (Japan), state the Rockstar title shifted 6.29 million copies since the turn of the year.

In second place, selling just under a million copies less is Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Next came Mario Kart Wii, which sold 4.7 million copies, followed by Wii Fit on 3.6 million.

Completing the top five was Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, with 3.48 million sales.

Unsurprisingly, gamers in the US snapped up the most copies of Grand Theft Auto IV (4.7 million) with UK gamers responsible for 1.58 million sales.

According to the BBC, Grand Theft Auto IV sold 609,000 copies on its first day of release generating £24.4 million.

I thought everybody knew this already. I guess not. Anyway, suck that Halo 3!

gta 4 sucks.... I seriously hope it doesnt keep this crown as it doesnt deserve it

Ok, why does it suck? Personally I think GTA IV is an amazing game.

dont be silly..there are alot of ppl who do not like GOW..

if halo coulndt beat it then dont think gow 2 will do any better..

And a lot of people don't like Halo or Gears of War 2...

Back on topic, It was to be expected from a game like GTA, It had such a large cult following that it would almost be impossible for a game to out sell it this year.

[Alex]

But is the GTA4 top seller based up the 360 and PS3?

1. If it isn't, there is a chance for any game coming out this fall.

2. If it is, then GoW2 will most like be the closest to hitting the 360 as a top seller.

Some people don't like Gears, but it is definitely Microsoft's next bush baby. Since Halo is a no more, Gears is some good stuff and I know I'm getting it right away. :p

If you want to do best seller, you can really only catergorize games into differenet platfors because how is G.o.W a xbox 360 exclusive meant to compete with Gta 4 which came out for Xbox 360 and PS3.

Xbox 360 sold more copies of GTA 4 so not really fair but didn't GTA 4 sell 3.6 Million copies on first day.

But is the GTA4 top seller based up the 360 and PS3?

1. If it isn't, there is a chance for any game coming out this fall.

2. If it is, then GoW2 will most like be the closest to hitting the 360 as a top seller.

Some people don't like Gears, but it is definitely Microsoft's next bush baby. Since Halo is a no more, Gears is some good stuff and I know I'm getting it right away. :p

Halo is no more?

December: Halo Wars

Late 2009: Halo 4 (set before halo 1, they lied about it being a triology... people love money $$$$)

As for gears everybody bones the hell out of it, i've got GOW and it's a good game but not amazing.

Back to GTA:

GTA 4 wasn't amazin, big let-down over san andreas in terms of content and features

it sold so much due to the reputation of the older games, my money says the next GTA won't do as well as this one because tbh GTA4 pissed off alot of people, the online is alright but the way the cars handle is crap and too much stuff was taken out (modified cars, planes, jetpacks anybody?) islands are incredibly small, can drive around city in just a few minutes

GTA4 was a disappointment, if you actually think it deserves to be the best selling game (that's taking away the fact everybody bought it because the old GTAs were pretty good) then I guess you never played the older games.

The developers screwed over GTA4 in the name of being original and unique. Hahaha.

Edited by _DaNnY_

GTA was...Terrible. Fable 2, The force Unleashed and GoW2 will blast this list apart..Well...Maybe the 09 list, as it'll be a bit late when these games come out.

Scrap The Force Unleashed. It's like the 4th best release comming up (With GoW2, Fallout3 and Fable2 completing the top), I doubt anyone will spent his money this same year on an another game.

GTA4 was fun for the first hours, but it dissappointed me that it didn't really added new things, but even left things away compairing San Andreas.

I just hope Fable 2 or GoW 2 will beat it ;).