PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a complete novice

BulletMagnet Uk
08-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Does anyone have any usefull hints and/or tips for someone who has never played a Tiger game other than the demo version of 09?

Any information that has been collected from the numerous previous games would be greatly appreciated.

MagnetixSQL
08-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Just remember when your putting if it say 5in up or 5in down you need to over shoot or under shoot the whole. (Mark sure you put the marker on top of the whole to get that info) Once you get the distance down then you can read the green to move your shot right or left.

Once you get putting down you will be golden.

ShaunMichael80
08-29-2008, 12:35 AM
use the 3-click feature..which consists of pressing A 3 times to complete a swing. It is very hard and annoying to use the LS at the start, because you slice and hook alot.

When putting a good rule of thumb is when going up hill, every 2 inches uphill move an extra foot past the hole. So if the hill is going up 6 inches, and its 20 feeet to the hole, make the putt 3 feet more past the pin, SO you would put it at 23 feet.

Same principle for putts going downhill,except for every Inch going downhill decrease your putt by 2 feet.

Pay attention to the wind and get familiar with where it is, Once you get it down and realize and know where to shift your club placement to the left and right of the hole you can get eagles and hole in ones easily.

Check out my Achievement Guide, that will help you as well

Minty
08-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Ignore Shaun...... every inch up or down is a foot on your putt. Watch out for hight adjustments on your approach shot as well.

Adjust the clubs in your bag to suit your game and learn your distances- i.e. if you have to lay up, you may be better laying up further away to get an easier shot in thats full power on your wedge.

And take the time to get used to the LS- its far easier when you get used to it and its more fun.

BulletMagnet Uk
08-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Cheers guys. Putting has been mentioned a few times there and that seems like the thing I'm ok at in the demo. Will assume it gets much harder as you play holes with trickier greens.

My main problem seems to be hitting at say 80% (on the left stick) with my pitching wedge because my sand wedge wont reach. Same thing can apply between and two clubs. I could try the 3 click system as suggested, but think i'll at least try to master the left stick approach. As Minty said, it seems more fun that way ;)

Just got back from town with it now and bashing it on for a few rounds. Will see how I do.

Minty
08-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Try using power shots to boost the club a bt- and you can change your bag to carry more wedges ;)

Bishop24
08-29-2008, 07:10 PM
I would also suggest the LS Stick as it's very easy to get used too then the 3-click feature.

Also, When you're in your backswing rapidly tap A or RB, as that will give you more power on your swing. But don't do that on Par 3's and some Par 4's as it will give the ball too much power.

And just do what Minty says, he plays these games every year so he knows what he's talking about.

Edit: Dangit, Minty said use the power boost. And I was trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about. :p

ShaunMichael80
08-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Ignore Shaun...... every inch up or down is a foot on your putt. Watch out for hight adjustments on your approach shot as well.

Adjust the clubs in your bag to suit your game and learn your distances- i.e. if you have to lay up, you may be better laying up further away to get an easier shot in thats full power on your wedge.

And take the time to get used to the LS- its far easier when you get used to it and its more fun.

You can't use the LS at 1st, because your accuracy is low and its very hard to consistently hit it straight. So the 3-click swing is a better option. Also putting downhill requires 2 feet past the hole for every inch downhill. It's not the same as going uphill.

BulletMagnet Uk
08-30-2008, 12:32 AM
You can't use the LS at 1st, because your accuracy is low and its very hard to consistently hit it straight. So the 3-click swing is a better option. Also putting downhill requires 2 feet past the hole for every inch downhill. It's not the same as going uphill.

I know Ive only been playing a day, but I find the left stick much easier to use than the 3 click system. Only time I revert to that are the precise wedge shots to try and get as close to the pin as I can (Im not able to check my power efficiently with the left stick yet).

I have so far found putting pretty straight forward, just those pesky downhill puts that are taking some getting used to.

Thanks everyone who has chipped in with advice. The extra power on shots especially (I had no idea I could do that ;)). And thanx BBallFBallFan24, I know Minty beat you to it, but its the effort that counts :p

Lamar Ryder
08-30-2008, 08:55 PM
The X button is pretty useful. Lets you choose between pitch, full, punch, and flop.

workbench
08-31-2008, 12:09 PM
use only a driver, 1,3,5,7,9 irons, and ALL the wedges. u dont need anythign else once your character is maxed. dont always go for 120% power, u dont need it. get 141 yards from the pin or closer u have 6 wedges to choose from. so u can tee off with a 1 iron on a lot of courses and a lot of holes, leaving u with like 120 yards to the pin, and then an accurate wedge shot, 3ft to teh pin all day long.

when u are putting, u should hit the back button and see the caddy tip about speed of green, if its slow, u need to hit a LITTLE bit harder, ie, if u have 13 feet to the pin, and u use a 10 foot putter, with the right stick pushed the whole way up, it may not reach, (pushing the right stick up or down on putts adds or subtracts 3 feet to the length of your club) on average greens, 15 feet can be reached with 10 foot club and the stick pushed all the way.

and a good way to judge distance, ie, u need 85% of the length of the club, (on drives or approach shots) if u count down in 5's at a rate of one a second, ie, u need 85% so u pull swing stick back, and hold it, 95 - 90 - push stick, and u shoudl be bang on close to the required length.....

(i think that was a lot of rambling but its all useful)

BulletMagnet Uk
08-31-2008, 02:52 PM
The X button is pretty useful. Lets you choose between pitch, full, punch, and flop.

Any advice on how best to perform the 'flop' shot? I can never seem to get it anywhere near where its supposed to go. It falls short a lot so I aim slightly ahead of where I want it to land, it then decides to land exactly where I was aiming and end up long. Is there a method to this this shot that I could try, or should I simply stick to the 'pitch' shots which I find one hell of a lot easier?

use only a driver, 1,3,5,7,9 irons, and ALL the wedges. u dont need anythign else once your character is maxed. dont always go for 120% power, u dont need it. get 141 yards from the pin or closer u have 6 wedges to choose from. so u can tee off with a 1 iron on a lot of courses and a lot of holes, leaving u with like 120 yards to the pin, and then an accurate wedge shot, 3ft to teh pin all day long.

when u are putting, u should hit the back button and see the caddy tip about speed of green, if its slow, u need to hit a LITTLE bit harder, ie, if u have 13 feet to the pin, and u use a 10 foot putter, with the right stick pushed the whole way up, it may not reach, (pushing the right stick up or down on putts adds or subtracts 3 feet to the length of your club) on average greens, 15 feet can be reached with 10 foot club and the stick pushed all the way.

and a good way to judge distance, ie, u need 85% of the length of the club, (on drives or approach shots) if u count down in 5's at a rate of one a second, ie, u need 85% so u pull swing stick back, and hold it, 95 - 90 - push stick, and u shoudl be bang on close to the required length.....

(i think that was a lot of rambling but its all useful)

Seems like some sound advice. I should try your bag setup, looks like it would help making close to the pin that bit easier.

Its probly me, but I dont quite understand your last bit about distance and the 1 second thing. If I'm holding the left stick down and counting down in 5's, if I wanted say 60% I'd have to hold it down for 8 seconds. Doesn't holding the left stick down longer increase the power? Like I say, its most probably me missing something blindingly obvious :p

Thanks for the tips.