PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use Verizon?

Tatanko
09-01-2008, 06:48 PM
I've been reading around the forums lately because I'm living at home for the year and have been trying to figure out why my NAT settings aren't Open. I've done the port forwarding, but I can't set static IP addresses or Live simply won't work. If I let the settings on automatic, it will connect just fine but it will be Strict. This is a huge problem playing Halo, and a problem I never had while I was living in the dorms.

So I'm wondering if it's a problem due to my ISP (Verizon). Does anyone else have Verizon and have this issue? If it's not a problem due to Verizon I may soon go shopping for a new modem and router. The modem is still the original one Verizon gave us years and years ago and it's a pile of crap. The router I have now works fine, too, but it often randomly disconnects my mom's PC (wireless) and I have to reset it once and a while to even just use it normally.

Point is, I am looking for input on Verizon before I go out and shell out a bunch of money for better equipment. Anyone?

laundryman
09-01-2008, 07:34 PM
I use Verizon and I don't usually have connection issues.

Did you use the modem they give you?

Tatanko
09-01-2008, 07:36 PM
I use Verizon and I don't usually have connection issues.

Did you use the modem they give you?
Yup, like I said in my original post it's the original modem they gave us when we started using them like 7 years ago. It's an OLD modem.

laundryman
09-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Hmm..well Ig ot my Verizon service about a month and a half ago and it's a decent modem but I prefer my old one.

I think it was a linksys.

Tatanko
09-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Just curious...what modem did they give you?

dm master
09-01-2008, 09:04 PM
you might wana try trawling through ebay to find an old one for like a tenner

try lookin in some tech forum for an answer

Tatanko
09-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Well I used to not even get the IP address confirmed but today when I tried again I must have done something different because the IP address got confirmed but it failed the DNS test. Does that mean anything specific? What it lists under the Error Message is pretty vague.

Segnius
09-01-2008, 11:02 PM
I have Verizon and it works perfectly. My modem isn't as old as yours though. You should call them and ask about it, if it's because your modem is outdated they may send you a new one free of charge.

Tatanko
09-02-2008, 01:20 AM
I have a feeling I could use a new router, too. The one I have now is 3 or 4 years old and it works, but meh. I wonder why the modem being old would keep me from using static IP addresses though...?

kiwi18
09-02-2008, 01:32 AM
I got FIOS about 7 months ago and love it. No connection errors/problems. We have one router for the Xbox and one for the PC's and Mac. I say go for it, it is worth the money. Hope this helps.