PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Unlocking Achievements = MS Points

AllThePenguins
09-01-2008, 09:06 PM
This idea all stemmed from when I first got my Xbox and had no clue about how achievements or GS worked or what MS Points were and for a while I thought that were the same thing lol :p.

So it got me thinking, do you guys think that it would be good if every time you unlocked an achievement you got a certain percentage (say 1% or 2%) back in MS Points, that would then encourage a lot more gaming and would allow you to get DLC or other things from the market place if you couldn't really afford it.

Discuss

iNSANiTY
09-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah would be a good idea but the new dashboard will offer 1 vs 100 to win prizes such as MS points so kinda pointless isnt it?

itsmatt338
09-01-2008, 09:08 PM
yeah microsoft would lose tons of money! no chance

dm master
09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
MS wont do it its giving away money for nothing

they are out to make more money always so any deal will make them loads

xbirdyx112
09-01-2008, 09:13 PM
If microsoft arent going to admit a fault with the xbox 360 'Ring of death' they they aint gonna give away things for free. I actually do think this would be a good idea but it just aint happening

ThirdeYe
09-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Gee this hasn't been mentioned before... :p

AllThePenguins
09-01-2008, 09:22 PM
If microsoft arent going to admit a fault with the xbox 360 'Ring of death' they they aint gonna give away things for free. I actually do think this would be a good idea but it just aint happening
Sometimes I think that it is a shame that people always say how tight Microsoft is, I mean it's usually true but it's weird to think that a company who gave us something that we love so much can be so hated, Don't get me wrong, I realised that it wouldn't happen in a month of sundays but it was just an idea that I was throwing out there.

As for the RROD to be fair on MS they did extend the warranty on all the 3 red light errors to 3 years so they are kind of holding their hands up for that one.

EvilestBean
09-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Thats a good idea but knowing MS, they wouldnt do that:(

ostriker
09-01-2008, 09:25 PM
MS wont do it its giving away money for nothing

they are out to make more money always so any deal will make them loads

you got exactly the same mind that i do, microsoft giving free stuff is dreaming or a bug, other free are publishers

vI Starlight Iv
09-01-2008, 09:42 PM
if they were to do this it would push up the price of games in the first place which noone wants

Pashos
09-01-2008, 11:47 PM
I think it's a good idea but Microsoft would lose a lot of money from it, like other people have said

Kolin32k
09-02-2008, 02:09 AM
My friends and I have been knocking back this idea for some time now, When I first got my xbox I even thought that the GS points were used as online currency but.. yeah fat chance huh? :P

Besides, What's stopping people from nabbing up the Easy 1000s by renting them to get the points? Not to mention borrwing from friends, two of several ways Microsoft would be out of pocket, and The last thing we want is for Bill Gates to stop wiping his arse with 50 quid notes, 50 dollars bills, what have you.

undyingone
09-02-2008, 02:15 AM
This idea all stemmed from when I first got my Xbox and had no clue about how achievements or GS worked or what MS Points were and for a while I thought that were the same thing lol :p.

So it got me thinking, do you guys think that it would be good if every time you unlocked an achievement you got a certain percentage (say 1% or 2%) back in MS Points, that would then encourage a lot more gaming and would allow you to get DLC or other things from the market place if you couldn't really afford it.

Discuss

good idea wont happen but good idea

Pootcrum
09-02-2008, 03:03 AM

They did admit fault for the problems with overheating, hence the extended three year warranty. They lost billions almost purely BECAUSE they admitted fault. People are always so eager and happy to bash Microsoft for faults, but not often do you hear any praises.

On topic, this idea has been floating around for a LONG time. If it were to ever happen I dont think it would be a long lasting thing, maybe one month where you may earn points by gaming. But with the new dash up coming with games and such, I cant see it eventuating.

Tussell
09-02-2008, 03:28 AM
If you can't afford it, why should you get it? I mean, that goes for everything. It's the Xbox Live Marketplace...

CyanideBreathMint
09-02-2008, 03:40 AM
If there are still gamesavers/hackers out there, this will NEVER happen. Ever.

Eternal
09-02-2008, 03:58 AM
If you can't afford it, why should you get it? I mean, that goes for everything. It's the Xbox Live Marketplace...

Same in real life. Can't afford it, don't get it.

vI Starlight Iv
09-02-2008, 07:16 AM
there are no freebies in this world and gamesaving, easy thousands and achievements trading will stop this

Wargasm
09-02-2008, 07:17 AM
hahaha that would be pretty sweet and like harder achievements should be more ms points

Curtis
09-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Think about how many people use xbox live. Times that number by 1000 and 1 in that number is the chance of this happening.

TheColdWolf
09-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Would be cool that way i won't have to keep asking for MS points lol.:p

vhayste
09-02-2008, 10:30 AM
I think that's a good idea. But sales-wise, I don't think MS will implement it...

Pootcrum
09-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Think about how many people use xbox live. Times that number by 1000 and 1 in that number is the chance of this happening.

hehe then put a one and 2 zeros in front of that...

FoxRacing1234
09-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Unfortunately, I think it may encourage gave saving if it were to happen. It would give people extremely easy, not to mention free, points

dakisbac
09-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Love the idea-obviously- but it's not going to happen

negitorotemaki1
09-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Rentals of Avatar would go through the roof. LOL

Honestly, points will never happen, but I don't see why not just award swag for getting to a certain level like a Tshirt or a plaque or something for hitting 20k, 50k, 100k etc.

CyanideBreathMint
09-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Everyone remembers the Old Spice Challenge right? Seen it since? LOL.

njdevils17
09-04-2008, 02:46 AM
That's what I originally thought gamerscore was. I thought it was points to download stuff.:p

I love the idea but it's not happening knowing M$.:Bounce:

ftpking
09-04-2008, 02:51 AM
When i first got my 360 like 2 yrs ago, I thought these achievement points were ms points.

Would have been cool and made a bit of sense, that you could go about spending them and so on.. It would have made soo many gamers try to get bigger scores, as i dont think that everyone is all into it

Deadly Moves
09-04-2008, 02:58 AM
IMO the only way it could possibly work is...

Microsoft can't go giving out mp everywhere and all the time... doesnt make any business sense
But if you get all possible achievements from a game you could be rewarded with mp
For example
For every game that you get 1000/1000 you get 500 mp

zzjj
09-04-2008, 02:59 AM
this would be cool but i doubt that will happen with all the easy 1k games out there

OzzieDreamer
09-04-2008, 03:48 AM
I think it's a great idea! Points do encourage people to buy or rent more games. And, if they encourage you to buy xbla games that you wouldn't otherwise buy, it would make MS a LOT more money! Especially now that games have been going up in price, why not give something back? To me, xbla games are more expensive than $60 retail games. At least with retail, you can rent, trade or resell them and get most of your money back. You won't have the game anymore, but if you are done with it that extra cash will let you buy something new....

I think the new game show games should be fun. They will increase gold memberships...

IAmTheDude360
09-05-2008, 05:51 AM
Actually discussing this topic with friends tonight. While not actually giving away anything of actual 'monetary' value we came up with these:-

Reach 1000 or 1250 receive a exclusive theme or set of gamerpics for that game.

We all agreed 150-200 for gamerpics and up to 800 for a theme is a ridiculous amount period, especially as a) no preview of either (until Nov update) and b) from what Ive read, 90% will only use one pic out of a set and very rarely use a theme for long.

Exclusive themes and pics and maybe even a free or discounted XBLA game for hitting certain amounts of gp. ie, 100k - Bronze theme and bronze gamerpic with 100p discount, silver for 250k with 200p, gold for 750k with 1/2 price vocher and platinum for 1mill etc. Maybe even a free Netflix rental lol (or something along these lines, numbers not important but you get the idea)

While MS arent really losing out, the gamer can feel more rewarded for achieving full points from a game and kill off some chevvie-whore-haters ;) Obviously anyone caught gamesaving or non-standard cheating (action replay etc) would have their score reset and be publicly humiliated by having a permanent 'black' gamerpic which cannot be changed as well as having their 'privilages' (pics/themes) revoked/removed. If in the case of discounted game then a certain time period of XBL would be suspended/revoked.

Thinking around the unachievable games and multiplayer chevvies then it could be a case a certain amount of points from the game or a certain amount of achievements would unlock the treats.

Time sensitive rewards for getting 1000 - along the lines of the GTAIV and R* key but downloadable. Say, get 1250k in Halo Wars before the 360th of Xboxember and receive exclusive bonus content. Similar to an extras disc etc

Bog standard stuff really except exclusive to Xbox users if its a multiplatform etc.

You can replace any rewards with things like excluive clothes for avators etc but you get the general idea for it though.

We came up with many more but these ones seemed more realistic. Id love to have a free membership to www.fitdirtynakedgirlsplayingwithxbox.com (http://www.fitdirtynakedgirlsplayingwithxbox.com) for getting 1000 in Avatar III lol