PDA

View Full Version : Way to change your gamertag for free?

infradude
09-04-2008, 12:55 AM
If you get enough of your friends to report your name, will microsoft tell you to change your name without the charge of 800 MS Points? This isn't a bad idea if it does work. Thanks, infradude.

Pashos
09-04-2008, 01:05 AM
That is a bad idea because Microsoft will look at your gamertag and see if it actually is offensive and then they won't make you change it.

There is somewhat of a guide located HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88898) and that might be able to work but I haven't tried it.

DarkPyroGuy_09
09-04-2008, 01:19 AM
How about you go buy some Microsoft Points like the rest of us!:mad:

neok182
09-04-2008, 01:23 AM
@DarkPyro: $10 is A LOT of money to change a name. ridiculous amount in my opinion. only reason why i haven't done it. that and you can't use a '-' in your tag. wanted mine to be Neo-K 182

ftpking
09-04-2008, 03:15 AM
Doh! .

Deadly Moves
09-04-2008, 03:26 AM
Why dont you just spend more time thinking about what you want your original gamertag to be.
Then you wont need to change it ;)

CyanideBreathMint
09-04-2008, 03:32 AM
@DarkPyro: $10 is A LOT of money to change a name. ridiculous amount in my opinion. only reason why i haven't done it. that and you can't use a '-' in your tag. wanted mine to be Neo-K 182
Nothing personal but that's one weak ass argument. Anyone's logical rebuttal to that would be: Think of a proper gamertag the first time and you wouldn't have to change it again.

From everything I've read since the dawn of this lame attempt to get a free gamertag change is that it no longer works. MS will force you to change your gamertag on your dime, not theirs if they receive complaints about your tag.

Pony up the 800 Billy Bux if you're that desperate to change it, or simply live with it.

jonnyMAGNUM
09-04-2008, 03:40 AM
Yeah, I knew a kid who wanted to change his name, so he asked all of his friends to report his name. He just ended up with a bad report. Microsoft told him he had to change his name or it would get banned.

I've seen it happen the other way too. Tons of people report a name and nothing happens because it simply isn't offensive.

zzjj
09-04-2008, 03:46 AM
i heard that the filing complaints method doesnt work

Tussell
09-04-2008, 05:08 AM
I've never felt the need to do it. That's why you should pick something that's original the first time around.

As for going about it free, there's really no legit way to do it. They'll just review it and think, "this guy just wants a free ride, fuck that" and ignore it and they won't tell you to change it. I've seen people get away with it, but usually they do have something worthy of changing such as '69', '666', etc.

neok182
09-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Nothing personal but that's one weak ass argument. Anyone's logical rebuttal to that would be: Think of a proper gamertag the first time and you wouldn't have to change it again.

From everything I've read since the dawn of this lame attempt to get a free gamertag change is that it no longer works. MS will force you to change your gamertag on your dime, not theirs if they receive complaints about your tag.

Pony up the 800 Billy Bux if you're that desperate to change it, or simply live with it.

i agree you should. for me i couldn't get what i wanted because microsoft dosen't allow a - in the name. but even then. i wouldn't mind paying to change if i wanted to i just think that $10 is too much. i would glady pay half that to change a name but 10 just seems a bit rediculious, always has to me personally. but again thats my opinion. once xbox live goes free eventually (hopefully) it won't really matter since we can just make a new name. just stat over achievement wise.

Ben is a Ninja
09-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Its sooo annoying when people send me messages saying 'REPORT MY GAMERTAG'. Don't do it if you don't want to be hated.

jonnyMAGNUM
09-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Its sooo annoying when people send me messages saying 'REPORT MY GAMERTAG'. Don't do it if you don't want to be hated.
I had a kid do it to me once and I was like ... hate me then! Cheap ass.

_DaNnY_
09-04-2008, 04:44 PM
When your a working adult 5, 6 euros, $10 is really no amount of money at all.

I don't think it should be free because people would abuse it, maybe it should be slightly cheaper but to be honest with you $10 isn't exact robbery.

Your better off just paying it to be honest and spending the remaining points on a DLC :)

Atleast be happy the option to change name exists, I'm going to want to change my name at some point :)

dakisbac
09-04-2008, 05:26 PM
My tag was initially the same as my username here. I don't find it offensive, but my friends filed a complaint on me (and I did NOT want them to nor ask them to) and M$ made me change it.

I don't think it works anymore though.

CyanideBreathMint
09-04-2008, 11:27 PM
i agree you should. for me i couldn't get what i wanted because microsoft dosen't allow a - in the name. but even then. i wouldn't mind paying to change if i wanted to i just think that $10 is too much. i would glady pay half that to change a name but 10 just seems a bit rediculious, always has to me personally. but again thats my opinion. once xbox live goes free eventually (hopefully) it won't really matter since we can just make a new name. just stat over achievement wise.
I totally agree that $10 is a pricey deterrent but it's one they (and I can't believe I'm saying this about MS) wisely decided on. Then again, there's nothing preventing PS3 owners from changing their PSN IDs anytime they want but then again their online service is free (and for a reason at that).

One can always create a new tag for free but the downside of course is losing your gamerscore. Now if only MGC<dot>net would allow us to keep our accounts intact when we do change our GTs then I'd be happy.

For the record, I've paid twice to have my tag changed. I didn't solicit anyone from my friends list or mooch off of total strangers to file reports on my GT. That's just pathetic in my opinion.

In your case, that sucks to a degree, but I'm guessing MS simply didn't want a see of GTs floating out their with -'s, *'s and the like. All the XxxX GTs out there is enough as it is.

neok182
09-05-2008, 12:02 AM
yea the massive ammount of XxxX's is annoying as hell.

And yea for me no reason to change until MS lets us use special symbols. maybe with the xbox 720 lol.

xBoricua Killax
09-05-2008, 05:28 AM
I have spent like 80.00 on my gamertag being changed.. it is alot of times with in 2 years...

undyingone
09-10-2008, 12:14 AM
if only there was a way but there isnt itll cost you 800 ms or just make a new one

vI Starlight Iv
09-10-2008, 09:34 AM
^^^^Take the advertisement out of your sig dude and then read the announcement at the top of the page^^^^

Pay the mony cheapskate and for the record the reporting thing doesnt work as it got abused by people

S1lent B Deadly
09-10-2008, 09:38 AM
my gamertag is frickin awesome so i'll save 10 bucks

Ashz0r
09-10-2008, 09:50 AM
This used to work.. like half year ago.. lol

Do it now and they disable your account untill you pay to change your name.

CovertDog
09-10-2008, 10:25 AM
This used to work.. like half year ago.. lol

Do it now and they disable your account untill you pay to change your name.

Enough said. Closed.