PDA

View Full Version : What kind of achiever are you?

nobodieshero
09-04-2008, 02:05 AM
What would you say you play for? Do you go for quantity or quality? Or do you just play and thats the end of it. Because I think I get the most fun out of Quality. I am a completionist I think getting those ridiculous 20 point achievements is what it is all about. Bragging rights. Not just beating the game for 600 and moving on to the next one. This is kind of funny commin from me considering how little I have completed but I m still working on many. I dont like the idea of boosting either. I think the only boosting I will do is prolly for EA's stupid get a top 20 video on Burnout Revenge.

JD FTW
09-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Ive changed my approach to GS after becoming close to quiting.

So one day i was playing Fuzion Frenzy when all of a suden i thought to my self, WTF am i doing playing this POO. Ever since then i have never bought a game for easy GS, i but the games that i really want and try to get as many off that game, although i dont earn as many points as i used to, i dont want to kill myself :D

PhoenixKnight78
09-04-2008, 02:13 AM
I usually play a game once and get whatever score I get. If the game is really fun to me, I'll play numerous times to get more achievements. There are only 2 games that I could/will finish, Mass Effect and M:UA.

nobodieshero
09-04-2008, 02:13 AM
lol nice. Well put.

Deadly Moves
09-04-2008, 02:18 AM
I try to get as many achievements out of every game that i can..
But i mainly get a game just for the fun of playing it...
Have bought a handfull of games just for easy points. Not done it for a while though.

So to answer your question... I all of them...lol

Tenacious
09-04-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm a little of both - I try to get most of the achievements in a game before I finish up on it, but I don't like trying to get uber tough achievements like Seriously or General or something. That said though, some of the Guitar Hero 3 achievements are taking me ages, and I already finished GHII + GH:A.. so I guess it depends on the game itself. Really, I complete when I feel I can get the full 1000, but if the rest of the achievements are tough, I'm happy with anywhere from 750 to 900. :)

xX MaslaN Xx
09-04-2008, 02:24 AM
I was all about points.....but now a days I play for fun. I like playing with friends and listing to little kids freak out over playing by myself, playing a game for points... :/

Aprimex77
09-04-2008, 02:29 AM
I'm a glutton. I love achievements and I'm extremely impatient. Some games I'll grind on until I have a perfect score, but not often.

GrUnTxSKaTeR
09-04-2008, 02:40 AM
I pick games that I'm interested in playing and I try for as many of the achievements as I can get. I'm a completionist and to me it looks bad having below 200G in most of your games. I would rather work hard to get 800-900G in a game rather then getting that same 8-900G from 4 different games.

njdevils17
09-04-2008, 02:43 AM
I play games that I want to play. If they have easy achievements, great. If they don't, oh well it will just take me some time to get them. I like achievements but I don't want to play Avatar and Open Season. I want to play Halo 3 and Gears of War.

StarmanX22
09-04-2008, 03:21 AM
im like a mix.. i go for as many achievements as possible. but if i cant get the full 1000 then meh.. no biggy... play more for fun...

OzzieDreamer
09-04-2008, 03:28 AM
I mostly play for fun. It is nice to get the achievements though. I did Avatar for the points and currently have King Kong which I am trying to play for the points, but I really don't like that game that much.... I just re-signed up for GameFly, so I added a few of the easy point games to my queue.... If they suck, they will quickly get sent back!

jonnyMAGNUM
09-04-2008, 03:44 AM
im like a mix.. i go for as many achievements as possible. but if i cant get the full 1000 then meh.. no biggy... play more for fun...
I'm in the same boat. Although I always aim to get all 1000, but never do.

exo-apollo
09-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Whats an achievement?

gatorbait
09-04-2008, 04:00 AM
Going for every achievement in a game can get boring and take the fun out of the game sometimes. I certainly will rent games that I normally wouldn't play for the points but just because it's an easy 1000 doesn't mean I'll play it no matter what. I buy the main titles and games that will last me and rent ones that you can complete most of within a week's time. I'd much rather play a variety of games than stretch a game out well beyond it's playing time just for a few more points.

staticz
09-04-2008, 04:34 AM
GS is fun but other than Avatar (it was just to EASY) I haven't played a game I did not have some kind of interest in. I would not say I was a completionist. I won't boost period.

my_ledge_ends
09-04-2008, 04:38 AM
I once played six straight hours of Too Human just to get Pride of Humanity (30gs). I think I'm a completionist.

Deathblow23
09-04-2008, 04:48 AM
I pick games that I'm interested in playing and I try for as many of the achievements as I can get. I'm a completionist and to me it looks bad having below 200G in most of your games. I would rather work hard to get 800-900G in a game rather then getting that same 8-900G from 4 different games.

I feel the same way. I'm a completionist, but I complete the games I really want to play. Of course I have let that guiding principle slip a couple of times...like Avatar,...and V. Pinata Party Animals...and some of the early 2K sports titles, but for the most part, I haven't gone all out crazy renting Ratatouille, Cars, Shrek the 3rd, etc. Like he said...it bothers me when I have a very low score on games. I admit, there are a few sitting on my shelf right now that I haven't done a lot of damage to, like F.E.A.R., Splinter Cell DA, and Perfect Dark...but I'll get around to em' one day...I hope. I just can't see myself grinding for days on a game that just isn't fun to me so I can have the points. I give credit to the guys who can do it...because I have several on my friends' list who can do that all day...but I just can't force myself into grinding through hours upon hours of MP in Dark Sector,...or praying for a partner to boost MP in Overlord...or trying to find all the coins in Lost Planet while simultaneously putting up with the ridiculous "Extreme Difficulty". I wanna complete and have fun at the same time!!!

Bobtroid
09-04-2008, 05:36 AM
I play for fun... if the game is somewhat decent and it has achievements I can get I'll try but if a game is that bad I stop playing. I don't really understand why people have th e need to 1000 every game, especially when they don't even like it.

MistersalJack
09-04-2008, 05:44 AM
i always try to accomplish the whole list on every game i have no matter how difficult the achievement or the whole list can be, actually thats half the fun of playing the game. in short i tackle achievements because they add an extra level of replay value to ANY game.

Fonkey Monkey
09-04-2008, 06:06 AM
if i really dislike a game, i dont care how easy it is i wont play it anymore.
great examples of this are bionicle heroes(oh my god BORING), amped 3 (not that bad but im awful), superman(need i say more?) and cabelas (pure shit.)

Parkerktm
09-04-2008, 06:33 AM
if i really dislike a game, i dont care how easy it is i wont play it anymore.

Could not agree more with your statement.

CSI: Hard Evidence is a perfect example, it's a game in the Quickity Quick 1000's and i will forever have 0G as it's pure garbage.

I like getting 1000's and will work hard towards them, but i won't make myself miserable to get a lame achievement when i could be doing something more productive.

Examples are in frontlines to complete the 5thh mission in under 30 minutes, defeat Kobe bryant in NBA 2K8, and beat prey's SP. Those are just a few to name but then theres been times that i've over worked myself because of my own mistakes, like playing through LOST 2 1/2 times to get the full 1000 and Big Game Hunter 4 times, thankfully they were both 4-10 hour games, but it turned from 10-15 hours of gaming to 25-30 easily.

It's hard because i like visiting this site, but the more i'm on it the more i want to get achievements, but i'm really trying to play games only for the game itself, and just play MP in COD4, RSV2, HALO 3, and soon to be others. I've already canceled gamefly and am selling almost all my games regardless if finished or not.

The problem will be is that i'll buy Fallout 3 for gameplay and only gameplay but then i'll get over my head and play for achievements too, thats the part of gaming that takes up time.

JC
09-04-2008, 06:41 AM
A glutton, the more games I have, the more points I can get. ;)

zzjj
09-04-2008, 07:42 AM
same for me jc except i really like playing games for fun now like call of duty 4 and other games like that

Raven1709
09-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Well I want to complete as many games as possible as long as the achievements are of a normal kind and not just way too hard. I love a challange but some of these achievements are too silly for words.

But most of all I play for fun. I have a 1000 for Forza but I still like to race the endurances races so I better my time.

Aemeath
09-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Never bought a game for GS and never will. But I always try to get all GS for the games that I bought because I liked them.

Of course there's stuff like "Serious..." that I'll never get but that's no problem then.

AllThePenguins
09-04-2008, 11:28 AM
I only try games that I have a genuine interest in playing and usually have the intention of getting the complete set of achievements but if I really don't get on with the game then I won't bother. I also won't be put off of a game because the achievements sound too hard.

Eternal
09-04-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm not one of those full on achievement whores, so I only play games that I either get for free, that are very cheap, or ones that I love.

Maka
09-04-2008, 11:41 AM
If I like the game enough, I try to get as many of the achievements as possible. Lately, I've been revisiting old games, and have gotten over 2000 from games I've gave up on (in under 1 month). My next goal is go have a 75% completion rate...

Crimson Ridley
09-04-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm a glutton! NO! I try to get all Achievements but some are just too hard! *sob* I'm sorry! *sob*

gkokonas
09-04-2008, 12:49 PM
I just recently joined this site and I would have to say that this site, coupled with some friends that are "achievement guys", have tuned me from a #3 to a mix between 1 and 2 in a months timespan.

I rented TMNT and Fightnight Rd 3 since I read here that they were easy 1000's, but I also went back and completed COD4 and am planning on trying to finish up Halo3 in the coming days. I am also playing through the orange box for the first time and think I'm going to try to get 1000/1000 on that too once I finish Half-Life and the episodes once through.

_DaNnY_
09-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I chose completionist from the poll options but really i'm all 3.

I rent crappy games for a GS boost which you can see if you look at my played games; i haven't done the superiorly easy games like avatar and college hoops 2k6 but im doing shrek right now, i've done TMNT and Surfs Up; I tried Viva Pinata Party Animals (it was a rental also) but it was just waaaaaaaaaaaaay too crap for me to even put up with, I couldn't tolerate the stupid french accents and the crappy gameplay so I got around 285gs on it and then just let it sit on my desk.

Aside from the rentals though I buy mostly games that I have an interest in (which is actually quite a wide range of games - to me ratatouille looks quite good) shooting games, ANY/ALL RPGs, kids games (not all but some, crash bandicoot, spyro, simpsons, ratatouille, rayman etc) platform games, puzzle games.... and i don't bum the crazily popular games either like halo, gears of war or GTA even though I own all 3; they're alright games but not so amazing as the masses tend to project.

Just play what you want and try to get the most achievements as possible (except if you study or work a decent amount of hours an ach like Seriously... is kind of impossible and out of the question) rent what u want for boosting and buy what you want for your collection, it's so simple :)

mocca90
09-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I always trying to get as much points as I can... Even in games I don't like that much I always try to get at least 500 points to get >50% :) So I think I'm completionist :D Am I right? :D

plumbpist
09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
I would like to have more achievments, but I get bored easily, and once Im bored Im not gonna just grind 'em out, its not worth it to me.

_DaNnY_
09-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I always trying to get as much points as I can... Even in games I don't like that much I always try to get at least 500 points to get >50% :) So I think I'm completionist :D Am I right? :D

Regarding your signature your english is quite good! :drunk:woop:

Squattin Nevill
09-04-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm a glutton. I like collecting points, I try to get as many as I can, at least 200 on each game but I also play the game for fun. I only buy the games and collect the points if the game interests me.

Korix
09-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Let's put it this way: I thought I'd be reviewing Tales of Vespiria but found out otherwise, so now I've got this ugly-ass 5 out of 1000 on my card. I'll be tackling that one as soon as I'm done with Infinite Undiscovery.

Ben is a Ninja
09-04-2008, 04:58 PM
The one with the Big Word. But Mile High Club is just too much for me.

dakisbac
09-04-2008, 05:23 PM
I'd expect most people on this site would be the first option, and I was right.

Although, I'm starting to shy away from 100% completion, I just don't have motivation anymore.

o0 TommyGuns 0o
09-04-2008, 07:09 PM
id say a mix of the first two

Pashos
09-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm definetly a completionist. I could have so much more gamerscore but lately I have been going back and trying to finish a lot of my games. I also have a lot of easy 1000s but I'm not starting them until I finished most of the games that I'm almost done with.

ThrawnOmega
09-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Despite my completion percentage hovering at about 50% overall, I consider myself a completionist. I'll so for some of those tough achievements everyone else gives up on for the pride of it. One example includes the "Quest Trifecta" achievement in VF5. That was one damn satisfying achievement to get, which is why its picture is my current avatar.

Tubson57
09-04-2008, 07:21 PM
I've been playing video games for enjoyment since I was 5. I started out with the Sega Genesis and have worked my way up the consoles ever since. The addition of achievements has greatly increased the fun factor in games, but it has not changed the reason why I am a gamer. Its about challenging yourself while still having fun.

Son of Kyuss
09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
I voted for completionist. I only have like 3 easy 1000 games on my played games list (friend let me borrow it) but I buy games that I actually want and will try to complete them to 1000 / 200.

D4rk Ac3s
09-04-2008, 08:10 PM
I used to play games just for the fun of it. Back when I got my first 360, achievements weren't a big deal to me. Then I got to be a bit of a 'glutton'. I started to buy easy achievement games, and got quite a bit of points in a time where I could be playing Halo, Gears, or COD4. As of right now, I'll play a game for fun, like COD4 or Halo3 (both 1,000) but as of right now, I'm trying to get 1k/1k in a very fun game. Dead Rising (860/1000)

But don't think I won't be getting all the achievements in Gears2! ;)

BTW: I didn't poll your .. erm.. poll, because I'm kind of a glutton/player hybrid. I'll get some achievements one day, and play COD4 the next.

IMAMEX
09-04-2008, 08:59 PM
I went through a kick where I would get games solely for the easy 1000/1000 and then i was like "what the fuck am I doing?" Since then, I kind of play games I like and try my hardest to get all the achievements while I play and enjoy the game. If I feel like there are achievements that are attainable through some hard work, I'll weigh out my options and either go for it or stop playing it.

JJBDude
09-04-2008, 09:41 PM
I (like lots of people) changed from wanting a massive overall score and instead aim to get the most gamerscore possible from a game. I still enjoy getting my score higher but I am aware there are lots of people higher than me and I'm no longer looked up upon as a god.

I'm more proud of my 1000 on Tony Hawk's Project 8 than my 68,000 score total. :)

Figgsy x360a
09-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm not too concerened with 100%ing a game. I'll do all the achievements I can manage.

Some games have pretty difficult of time consuming ones that I can't be bothered with ;)

eviltb
09-04-2008, 10:59 PM
The middle one.

There are some games that I could/wanted to get 1000 on like Lego Indy, but there are games Im happy with not getting all cheevs with, like Ninja Gaiden 2.

Then of course, theres Avatar, which Im sure everyone should really hang their heads in shame at....

Cosmonaught
09-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Completionist. Considering how late I got a 360 (June 08), I dont see the point in trying for a high gamerscore. I just focus on completing the games I own. But I admit, sometimes I view the acheivements as one of the final deciding factors in buying a game. For example I didnt buy DMC4. Its a fun game but the acheivements are really tedious. Its basically beat the game way too many times on different difficulties.

xENVxGAMERSKREW
09-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Im a quick gamerscore whore haha, if its too hard or to collect a million pebels or find 500 hidden orbs, i wont bother with that one achievement but upto it i will score whore it :P

Chaosflare
09-05-2008, 01:41 AM
I try to get as much as possible, and seek other games with reasonable achievements.

Lancer Evolution
09-05-2008, 02:34 AM
I'm nowhere near completetionist. I play games that I like and get as much points without actually trying. Then whenever I'm kind of bored, I try to get achievements.