PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 help!

D4rk Ac3s
09-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Note to a mod: I've checked the Xbox 360 calling out for help sticky. It seemed like my problem could not be helped there. If I'm wrong, however, feel free to lock this thread. I'll post this on the sticky.

Well, I've had my 360 Elite for a while now, maybe 5-7 months, but I'm starting to notice a weird sound when the Xbox either

1. Turns on
2. On for any time

This sound is random. It can happen at almost any time the 360 is on, and can continue for any given time, from 10 seconds to 30 minutes.

It kinda sounds like a spring rubbing off on the spinning disk, and it's quite annoing. I've tested it many times, and found out that it's an internal problem, and has nothing to do with the disk (as far as I know). The sound can also be muffled (or, stop completely) if I apply pressure to a given area of my 360. If I let go of the pressure however, the sound continues.

I know my description isn't really helpful, and I know there's worse problems out there (RRoD, anyone?), but I really need this harmless (yet, ANNOYING!) problem to be put to rest.

Thanks for your time, ;)
D4rk Ac3s

AllThePenguins
09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
your xbox might be all bunged up with dust and crap, see if you can get some compressed air and give it a good blow through.

jonnyMAGNUM
09-04-2008, 07:46 PM
I would advise you to lay your 360 down horizontal if you have it standing up vertically so gravity is not acting on the disk vertically. Also, like AllThePenguins said, you should shoot some compressed air in the disk tray.

D4rk Ac3s
09-04-2008, 07:52 PM
I would advise you to lay your 360 down horizontal if you have it standing up vertically so gravity is not acting on the disk vertically. Also, like AllThePenguins said, you should shoot some compressed air in the disk tray.

My xbox is always horizontal :).

But thanks Jonny and Penguins, I will defently blow some compressed air into the 360.

Ingles
09-04-2008, 07:57 PM
It sounds to me like it could be something internally in regards to your DVD drive. While the Xbox 360 Elite came out with a much quieter, higher quality drive doesn't mean that there isn't a "hiccup" in production sometimes and a bad one is made. I would contact Microsoft and see what they say it may be. They may provide some troubleshooting tips or advise you on what to do next.

Besides, if your console is under warranty, let them fix it and give you a new one! ;)

D4rk Ac3s
09-04-2008, 08:02 PM
It sounds to me like it could be something internally in regards to your DVD drive. While the Xbox 360 Elite came out with a much quieter, higher quality drive doesn't mean that there isn't a "hiccup" in production sometimes and a bad one is made. I would contact Microsoft and see what they say it may be. They may provide some troubleshooting tips or advise you on what to do next.

Besides, if your console is under warranty, let them fix it and give you a new one! ;)

Lol, thanks, but IMO, the troubleshooting staff at M$ are a bunch of goons. They obviously don't even know what they're selling. When my first 360 got the RRoD, I had to go through 6 staff telling me to "clean the xbox with a towel, but first remove the disk drive"....umm no, so I just paid an extra 100 bucks and sent in my busted 360 to Best Buy for a fresh Elite.

Little Edit: I've found a little bottle of compressed air, but I cant seem to find the long plastic nozzle. Is spraying the stuff directly from the can safe for my xbox?

jonnyMAGNUM
09-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah, it's only air. You're surrounded by it. If it was bad for your 360, it would have killed it already. As well as all of us! :p

D4rk Ac3s
09-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah, it's only air. You're surrounded by it. If it was bad for your 360, it would have killed it already. As well as all of us! :p

I lol'd at the fact that you made me laugh at my own stupidity while insulting me :).

Okay, well I'll give that a try. Thanks.

EDIT: Well, I tried the air method, but I think I may have found the ultimate problem. There seems to be a loose part in the part of my 360 above where the start button is. Any suggestions? I think I gotta send this one in XD

jonnyMAGNUM
09-04-2008, 10:10 PM
I lol'd at the fact that you made me laugh at my own stupidity while insulting me :).

Okay, well I'll give that a try. Thanks.

EDIT: Well, I tried the air method, but I think I may have found the ultimate problem. There seems to be a loose part in the part of my 360 above where the start button is. Any suggestions? I think I gotta send this one in XD
It's all in good fun! ;)

I'd say give M$ a call and see what they think. Don't decide anything upon your call until you hang up. Also make sure you call during regular hours (9 to 5). If you call later than that, you'll get forwarded to some dude in India who will just repeat "Send 360 in. We repair."

Otherwise, I'd say let it be. If it's only a sound, at least the system is working, you know?

D4rk Ac3s
09-04-2008, 11:35 PM
It's all in good fun! ;)

I'd say give M$ a call and see what they think. Don't decide anything upon your call until you hang up. Also make sure you call during regular hours (9 to 5). If you call later than that, you'll get forwarded to some dude in India who will just repeat "Send 360 in. We repair."

Otherwise, I'd say let it be. If it's only a sound, at least the system is working, you know?

Lol, I always call in business hours, and I always get him :(

But yes, its an annoying sound at that, but I fear that it'll end up getting worse and worse until it's much more then 'harmless'

jonnyMAGNUM
09-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Lol, I always call in business hours, and I always get him :(

But yes, its an annoying sound at that, but I fear that it'll end up getting worse and worse until it's much more then 'harmless'
Well, next week day you have time to call in the mid-day, give M$ a call and don't accept "I don't know" for an answer. Just keep asking for a supervisor until you get what you want. Ask them what might be going on and if it'll cost anything to get it repaired.

One thing you might consider is if it's out of warranty, opening it up yourself and seeing if it's something simple, but save that for last. I wish I could take a lot at it myself, but I'll try to help through positive words.

D4rk Ac3s
09-05-2008, 02:52 AM
Well, next week day you have time to call in the mid-day, give M$ a call and don't accept "I don't know" for an answer. Just keep asking for a supervisor until you get what you want. Ask them what might be going on and if it'll cost anything to get it repaired.

One thing you might consider is if it's out of warranty, opening it up yourself and seeing if it's something simple, but save that for last. I wish I could take a lot at it myself, but I'll try to help through positive words.

Thanks man. I'll give them a call next week.

dakisbac
09-05-2008, 02:53 AM
Seems like some part has come loose, but maybe not completely broken away.

D4rk Ac3s
09-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Seems like some part has come loose, but maybe not completely broken away.

Right now, looks like this is what I believe. Do you know if a 360 has springs inside of it? I don't really know the components, and its defently sounds like a loose spring or something.

jonnyMAGNUM
09-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Right now, looks like this is what I believe. Do you know if a 360 has springs inside of it? I don't really know the components, and its defently sounds like a loose spring or something.
There's no springs inside of the 360 that I know of. One last ditch effort you might want to do is force the thing to overheat. Leave it on in front of a window or something during the day and hope to come home to the RRoD so they have to fix it. Don't do this unless you have no other hope.

D4rk Ac3s
09-05-2008, 07:36 PM
There's no springs inside of the 360 that I know of. One last ditch effort you might want to do is force the thing to overheat. Leave it on in front of a window or something during the day and hope to come home to the RRoD so they have to fix it. Don't do this unless you have no other hope.

:p

Good idea =) maybe I'll give that a try if this sound starts to get serious.