PDA

View Full Version : New Update Means Lower GS cutoffs...

JMills109
09-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Apparently the new update makes GSing songs easier by 2-7k, supposedly done because it was mathematically impossible for a few songs before.

Not a huge deal but personally, I'd prefer if they had simply left it alone. Perhaps its being done also to accommodate a slightly tweaked system for RB2. Thoughts?

Rockband.com and scorehero.com forums have plenty of info on it....

Matrarch
09-04-2008, 11:03 PM
I was a little befuddled when I read this too. I'm guessing this might be more to address the vocal tracks? There are quite a number of songs on vocal track that you can 100% and not gold star.

It's not like it affects leaderboards or anything. Just lets you look at your list and go "Sweet. More gold stars."

Maybe I can finally gold star Creep on guitar now. *rolls eyes* :)

misco1
09-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Finally I have 50 gold stars now, and about to have 53! FINALLY!

Th3 Apache Dog
09-05-2008, 12:28 AM
That's some BS...NOW they do it?!...I probably would've had Blackened, and ...And Justice For All GS'ed by now then:mad:

Lucent Beam
09-05-2008, 12:33 AM
I was a little befuddled when I read this too. I'm guessing this might be more to address the vocal tracks? There are quite a number of songs on vocal track that you can 100% and not gold star.

It's not like it affects leaderboards or anything. Just lets you look at your list and go "Sweet. More gold stars."

Maybe I can finally gold star Creep on guitar now. *rolls eyes* :)

Isn't the gold starring the same for guitar too, though? If you 100% a song without using Overdrive, you won't gold star it.

Th3 Apache Dog
09-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Isn't the gold starring the same for guitar too, though? If you 100% a song without using Overdrive, you won't gold star it. That depends on the song i think. If the GS cutoff is low enough I think it's possible to still GS it with no OD.

Matrarch
09-05-2008, 12:42 AM
I know of a couple of songs which I've 100%ed using OD and still didn't gold star. Generally with guitar if you can get a decent path down you can score as low as the mid 90s and sometimes eke out a gold star. The vocal track is far more demanding.

Th3 Apache Dog
09-05-2008, 12:46 AM
I know of a couple of songs which I've 100%ed using OD and still didn't gold star. That almost happened to me with Seven...luckily i got the GS on the second to last note:pThat song kills my hand every time I play it since I downstrum it all.

Matrarch
09-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Do you happen to remember what the cut off is? I have the same problem- tiring out from just downstrumming. I've had a couple of goes where I thought "That was as good as I can do" and then come back and beaten my old a high score by several thousand but still no GS.

Th3 Apache Dog
09-05-2008, 01:30 AM
Do you happen to remember what the cut off is? I have the same problem- tiring out from just downstrumming. I've had a couple of goes where I thought "That was as good as I can do" and then come back and beaten my old a high score by several thousand but still no GS. 314k...around that score

APX
09-05-2008, 01:40 AM
So this update is good for the new people like us then, right? :O

JMills109
09-05-2008, 01:57 AM
So this update is good for the new people like us then, right? :O

Perhaps, though personally, I'd rather have something be difficult and not achievable through 30 minutes of picking the game up, just me though.

On a Sidenote, I managed a score lower than my previous best on Train kept Rollin, and was awarded Gold Stars despite having had only 5 regular before...

Th3 Apache Dog
09-05-2008, 02:03 AM
Perhaps, though personally, I'd rather have something be difficult and not achievable through 30 minutes of picking the game up, just me though.

On a Sidenote, I managed a score lower than my previous best on Train kept Rollin, and was awarded Gold Stars despite having had only 5 regular before... and which score was that?I busted my ass getting that GS lol:p

frank9080
09-05-2008, 02:06 AM
I know Rockaway Beach was impossible on guitar to gold star or at least that is what my friend told me.

Son of Kyuss
09-05-2008, 02:14 AM
Yup the 3 songs (well technically 2 but unless you can squeeze Sick Sick Sick you ain't gonna gold star that even with an FC) which were impossible to GS on guitar are now able to be gold starred. I was super excited to get gold stars on Rockaway Beach and Bang a Gong, it's been bugging me since I downloaded em.

Smart move on Harmonix's part.

Efstratios39
09-05-2008, 02:37 AM
I knew something was up when I gs'd Testament's song with around 190 something K and 97%. I had a good run, but I had better before and never got it.

APX
09-05-2008, 03:13 AM
Well I tend to do very good on games that I just pick up, that's how I was when I got Guitar Hero 2 when it first came out.

Oh well, i'll be too busy enjoying rock band 2. :D

Dla911
09-05-2008, 03:59 AM
was hopping this update would make YYZ work for rock band, so we can get the rush album

Dex
09-05-2008, 04:44 AM
was hopping this update would make YYZ work for rock band, so we can get the rush album
Maybe it did, and they just want to surprise us?

Th3 Apache Dog
09-07-2008, 03:52 AM
Well with this new update I was able to GS ...And justice For All, Ride The Lightning, and Rockaway Beach. I tried going for Blackened but I messed up way too much:p

brak4222
09-07-2008, 10:10 AM
I have mixed feeling on the new GS.

On one hand, its nice that some songs have been fixed to become attainable. On the other hand, some people worked real hard to get some gold stars that others can now get easily.

If I had a say, I would have just added FC'n a song counting as a gold star as well as the old score standard.

SebastianSB
09-07-2008, 02:59 PM
On one hand, its nice that some songs have been fixed to become attainable. On the other hand, some people worked real hard to get some gold stars that others can now get easily.

...and on the other hand, their score that they worked so hard for is still on the leaderboards.

Matrarch
09-07-2008, 05:32 PM
I don't mind lower GS cut offs. Like Sebastian said, your leaderboard score is the same. It would be different if this game had an achievement for 20 gold stars and they were super hard to get like in GH3 . I can see people getting upset at a song like Silver because now that 100% drumming achievement is much easier than when they worked hard to earn it. The Gold star cutoffs doesn't really effect anything like that.

Gold Stars in Rock Band are purely for self-motivational purposes (t me at least). I just like looking and the main set list and going "Hey, I've gold starred 37 of 45 songs. Cool!" If the threshold change makes it possible for more people to do that, I'm good with it. :)

JMills109
09-07-2008, 06:21 PM
...and on the other hand, their score that they worked so hard for is still on the leaderboards.

I'm really hoping they have some sort of RB1 leaderboards available while playing RB2. I plan on trading this in towards the 2nd one this week and It'd be rather annoying if It simply turned into individual song LB's.

sharonoagain
09-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Grrr ... well, I can tell you that it didn't help Vasoline vocals at all. I 100% it with a good path (got me to within 500 points of the leader) and still no Gold Stars. Maybe it just worked on the DLC. I'm disappointed if they only fixed it for guitar or drums and not for vocals.

Here I was hoping to get 58 of 58. Bums me right out. :(

N3R0 X360a
09-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Grrr ... well, I can tell you that it didn't help Vasoline vocals at all. I 100% it with a good path (got me to within 500 points of the leader) and still no Gold Stars. Maybe it just worked on the DLC. I'm disappointed if they only fixed it for guitar or drums and not for vocals.

Here I was hoping to get 58 of 58. Bums me right out. :(
Try staying in overdrive long enough to achieve the gold stars.And its not about 100%.I've seen gold stars with 98%.

Th3 Apache Dog
09-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Try staying in overdrive long enough to achieve the gold stars.And its not about 100%.I've seen gold stars with 98%. She knows that:pShe's just saying that she should've gotten it since she not only 100% it, but she also had a good path, and was only 500 points away from first

N3R0 X360a
09-07-2008, 07:33 PM
She knows that:pShe's just saying that she should've gotten it since she not only 100% it, but she also had a good path, and was only 500 points away from first
OK.I guess i read the post wrong..:drunk for th3 apache dog!

SebastianSB
09-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm really hoping they have some sort of RB1 leaderboards available while playing RB2. I plan on trading this in towards the 2nd one this week and It'd be rather annoying if It simply turned into individual song LB's.

I doubt that the RB1 leaderboards will carry over to RB2. Apparently there's some scoring exploit called squeezing that has been fixed in RB2. For the sake of fairness I'd assume the leaderboards will be separate.

sharonoagain
09-10-2008, 01:26 AM
I doubt that the RB1 leaderboards will carry over to RB2. Apparently there's some scoring exploit called squeezing that has been fixed in RB2. For the sake of fairness I'd assume the leaderboards will be separate.

Hmm, I know squeezing Vocals is just a combination of being as accurate as possible when in Overdrive and timing the activation of your Overdrive ... not really an exploit, more a case of being better at the song. Usually its a difference of 50 -100 points, not thousands. I don't know how squeezing works with the other instruments.

bob150
09-10-2008, 06:37 AM
With this new update I have managed to GS 17 songs, the first 2 tiers(pretty easily) 2-3 from the 3rd tier and then a few d/l songs. I was quite suprised how easy it is to get them now, Although I still can't get some of them, but that's probably because I suck at Expert.

JMills109
09-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Hmm, I know squeezing Vocals is just a combination of being as accurate as possible when in Overdrive and timing the activation of your Overdrive ... not really an exploit, more a case of being better at the song. Usually its a difference of 50 -100 points, not thousands. I don't know how squeezing works with the other instruments.

How are they 'fixing' squeezing???

Not that I care tons about that, but obviously if its by changing the actual timing window, then that's a HUGE difference for guitar and drums.

Also, what is the point of 'fixing' it? Are they now going to have like 1000 people at the top of every song all with the same score?

SebastianSB
09-10-2008, 04:34 PM
The "exploit" of squeezing that I'm talking about applies to the drums. It's possible to hit that last green note (the one that deploys overdrive) early and then play the note that is normally there as if the overdrive space had never replaced it. Harmonix has admitted that it is a scoring mistake that has been fixed in RB2.

Th3 Apache Dog
09-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Hmm, I know squeezing Vocals is just a combination of being as accurate as possible when in Overdrive and timing the activation of your Overdrive ... not really an exploit, more a case of being better at the song. Usually its a difference of 50 -100 points, not thousands. I don't know how squeezing works with the other instruments. Actually squeezing is "exploiting" the game's timing window...whether they fix it or not I'm not too sure. However i think it's fine the way it is.

TwistedFate
09-10-2008, 10:11 PM
An exploit is taking advantage of a flaw in the program.

Squeezing is playing the game the way it is meant to be played. It doesn't take advantage of any bugs in the program. The only way to fix it is to make it nearly impossible to play by shrinking the timing window to almost nothing.

What Sebastian described with the drums may be called squeezing but that is an actual exploit.

Th3 Apache Dog
09-10-2008, 10:19 PM
An exploit is taking advantage of a flaw in the program.

Squeezing is playing the game the way it is meant to be played. It doesn't take advantage of any bugs in the program. The only way to fix it is to make it nearly impossible to play by shrinking the timing window to almost nothing.

What Sebastian described with the drums may be called squeezing but that is an actual exploit. Yeah, your right my bad:o

TwistedFate
09-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Yeah, your right my bad:o

No, you were right. Squeezing is exploiting the timing window, but it's not "an exploit" in the common sense of the word when talking about games.

SebastianSB
09-10-2008, 10:40 PM
yeah sorry when I originally said "squeezing" I was referring to what I described in my above post. I wasn't aware of other uses for the word.

Matrarch
09-11-2008, 04:20 AM
Well, the lower GS cut offs made me a pretty happy camper today. I finally gold starred Dead on Arrival, Ballroom Blitz, and Highway Star so now I'm up to 40 of the main 45 songs gold starred. :D

Granted, I actually did beat my old high score on all three, but I still probably wouldn't have gs-ed them with the old cut offs.

Still can't gold star Creep though. -_-

I do wonder the effect on vocals though because on many vocal track you had to be near perfect to gold star and even then you might not. Maybe you can actually great a phrase and still have a chance now. :)