PDA

View Full Version : How realistic is the singing part of Rock Band?

Z3R0 S1X
09-05-2008, 07:50 PM
If this has already been answered, go ahead and close it but I looked and couldn't find anything. So just how realistic is the singing side of Rock Band? A friend of mine practically swears the thing is as real as it can get. I'm thinking, "Ummm... not sure about that one", because the guitar and drum parts only simulate someone playing that instrument. You aren't really playing the guitar because there aren't real strings/frets to go by just like you aren't playing real drums because you only have four buttons and a bass pedal; not exactly true to form. I figured that the singing part is only simulating someone actually singing the song since it rewards you regardless of wether or not the words are there even if the pitch is close to what the creators of the game are asking of the gamer. So if anyone can answer this question for me, I'd appreciate it.

APX
09-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Youtube is your friend. :)

YouTube - Run to the Hills - Rock Band expert vocal 100%

As you can tell, you need some good lungs. :D

xCOBRAx
09-05-2008, 10:12 PM
well singing is a little bit different than simulating a guitar or drums as you are limited to the number of buttons and pads etc. All you have to do to simulate singing is judge the singer based on their pitch and then show them how they are doing in some fashion. That is what RB and KR:AI do. And on expert you have to do very well with phrase entrances and exits, and you need to bit on the pitch the whole time in order to get 100%. Now does this mean its perfect...no, obviously there are tricks to getting 100% such as humming into the microphone etc, however this still requires you to get 100% pitch correctness. so yeah id say your friend is right

ILoveAztecChick
09-06-2008, 06:47 AM
The singing is as realistic as you want to make it since you can sing whatever you want, but don't expect the judging to be perfect. The video above is a good example. The guy totally raped the song, but if he put on that performance at a concert he'd get boo'ed off the stage. The game isn't smart enough to judge on stylistic aspects. Also, it always expects you to sing in a straight tone, so if you have a killer vibrato like a lot of classic rock vocalists, you can kiss your score goodbye.

brak4222
09-06-2008, 10:35 AM
All in all, its not bad for what I expected. Some songs are done better than others...

sharonoagain
09-06-2008, 01:50 PM
You say that singing in the game isn't like singing in real life ... might I ask how different can singing into a mic be? The difference between playing a plastic instrument to playing a real instrument is HUGE ... it takes a whole different skillset to do well for either. Singing is a combination of muscle and air control, combined with the ability to hit a pitch, and that holds true for both singing in real life as well as for this game.

It really depends on the level you are playing on. If you want to jump around and play with the vocals a bit, have at it, but just know you will not be able to pass Expert doing that. I have more fun playing on Hard and not trying to get 100% every time. As a matter of fact, some of my favorite songs I'll only play on Hard now so I can enjoy just singing them.

Honestly, I have to adjust how I play the game with how I'm feeling. To FC an Expert song, I have to be focused and make NO mistakes. I have found the charting to be very accurate, with some songs to be trickier than others. If I sang like that with a band, it would sound terrible.

Z3R0 S1X
09-07-2008, 01:10 PM
You say that singing in the game isn't like singing in real life ... might I ask how different can singing into a mic be? The difference between playing a plastic instrument to playing a real instrument is HUGE ... it takes a whole different skillset to do well for either. Singing is a combination of muscle and air control, combined with the ability to hit a pitch, and that holds true for both singing in real life as well as for this game.

It really depends on the level you are playing on. If you want to jump around and play with the vocals a bit, have at it, but just know you will not be able to pass Expert doing that. I have more fun playing on Hard and not trying to get 100% every time. As a matter of fact, some of my favorite songs I'll only play on Hard now so I can enjoy just singing them.

Honestly, I have to adjust how I play the game with how I'm feeling. To FC an Expert song, I have to be focused and make NO mistakes. I have found the charting to be very accurate, with some songs to be trickier than others. If I sang like that with a band, it would sound terrible.

To address the part about 'playing a plastic instrument to playing a real instrument', one of my friends plays guitar in a band and has been playing the instrument for close to ten years. I played violin for seven years and when Guitar Hero 2 came out our friends were like, "How did you guys get this good this fast?". We both picked up GH2 and played it on Hard fairly easily pretty quick, now I'm not saying that the talent to play those instruments translates into the game. But it did help us to pick the game up faster than our other friends could hope to because we'd already developed the coordination needy to play REAL instruments. Same with one of them playinig drums, he could already do the real thing and Rock Band just came him to. We know its not like playing for real, nor is the singing part like singing the actually song since you can 'cheat'. The friend who plays the drums picked up the mic one day with no singing background, starts humming on hard and goes down the set list beating songs easily. I gave it a go one night and hummed my way through several songs with ease. Now granted being able to actually sing does help but its not necessary since you can hum, make lyrics up, etc. to get through the song. Games like RB and GH are ment to be playable by anyone who puts in the time, not just the ones with natural talent even though that does help. I agree with what you guys are saying to a POINT, but its still just a game not real life.

APX
09-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Then you shouldn't be asking if it's realistic if in the end it is in fact just a game, right? ;)

TwistedFate
09-07-2008, 01:29 PM
To address the part about 'playing a plastic instrument to playing a real instrument', one of my friends plays guitar in a band and has been playing the instrument for close to ten years. I played violin for seven years and when Guitar Hero 2 came out our friends were like, "How did you guys get this good this fast?". We both picked up GH2 and played it on Hard fairly easily pretty quick, now I'm not saying that the talent to play those instruments translates into the game. But it did help us to pick the game up faster than our other friends could hope to because we'd already developed the coordination needy to play REAL instruments. Same with one of them playinig drums, he could already do it the real thing and Rock Band just came him to. We know its not like playing for real, nor is the singing part like singing the actually song since you can 'cheat'. The friend who plays the drums picked up the mic one day with no singing background, starts humming on hard and goes down the set list beating songs easily. I gave it a go one night and hummed my way through several songs with ease. Now granted being able to actually sing does help but its not necessary since you can hum, make lyrics up, etc. to get through the song. Games like RB and GH are ment to be playable by anyone who puts in the time, not just the ones with natural talent even though that does help. I agree with what you guys are saying to a POINT, but its still just a game not real life.

Granted the vocals are the easiest part of this game, but your argument is forgetting that you have been using your voice your entire life. You've been adjusting pitch and volume since you were first born. When you say you have no singing background, I think what you mean is training. Everybody has sung something in their life.

Yes it is a game, but as you said, familiarity with the instrument makes parts of it easier and everybody is intimately familiar with their own voice.

N3R0 X360a
09-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Of course the singing is real, but it's kind of weird when you have a guy singer, with the girl voice singing maps

APX
09-07-2008, 01:48 PM
And what's even funnier is seeing a female character sing some hardcore metal track. :P

But in the end, it's all fun, greatest party game ever, on the 360 of course, Mario Party, that's a different story :)

N3R0 X360a
09-07-2008, 02:00 PM
And what's even funnier is seeing a female character sing some hardcore metal track. :P

But in the end, it's all fun, greatest party game ever, on the 360 of course, Mario Party, that's a different story :)

Mario = Nintendo

Guitar Hero/Rock band = Microsoft/Sony

Having a Girl Sing Say it ain't so makes me go :eek:

But Mario is still the king of gaming.

SebastianSB
09-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Of course the singing is real, but it's kind of weird when you have a guy singer, with the girl voice singing maps

hahaha I'd rather sing Maps, which has lyrics that can go either way, than I Think I'm Paranoid...Bend me break me any way you need me...um - yeah...

N3R0 X360a
09-07-2008, 03:53 PM
hahaha I'd rather sing Maps, which has lyrics that can go either way, than I Think I'm Paranoid...Bend me break me any way you need me...um - yeah...

Yea.....Lol. My brother always is :drunk when he sings.

Z3R0 S1X
09-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Yeah its just a game and its not that important but my buddy's about an idiot when it comes to being good at the singing part vs. the guitar and drums. Yeah its odd when you've got a male singer doing 'Maps' or that Flyleaf song and a woman's voice is coming over the speakers. RB is the best party game out right now and GH4 has to copy that but probably won't get it near as good.

sharonoagain
09-08-2008, 03:12 AM
I'm just wondering, Z3R0 ... if you already had made up your mind/knew the answer, then why ask the question?

And what's even funnier is seeing a female character
sing some hardcore metal track. :P
<snipped>

What about a 44 yeah old Mom singing them? :p

As to the other comments ... I don't find a guy singing a girl part weird, but maybe that's because in this game the majority of the songs have MALE singers and I (and my female character) have to sing them. Tom Sawyer? Mississippi Queen? Aesthetics of Hate? Blackened? Sabotage? I sing them all, whether or not the lyrics are appropriate for my gender. Train kept a Rollin'? What's the big deal? They are just words. It's just a game, right?

I may be different than your average player, though, because I actually do love to sing, have been singing for most of my life and try not to hum unless it is absolutely necessary to find my way through a phrase. I got the game and sang my way through the Hard career before tackling the Expert career and have been singing on that level since. So that's where my perspective comes from.

Thank you, Twisted, for saying it more eloquently than I could.

rockhopper
09-08-2008, 08:53 AM
I hate the singing in this game. I must be doing something wrong because I can barely get 3 stars on the easy career from the first couple songs. I gave up after a few songs. I try to match the pitch but it seems the arrow doesn't move up or down accordingly for me. I guess I just suck at singing.

Z3R0 S1X
09-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm just wondering, Z3R0 ... if you already had made up your mind/knew the answer, then why ask the question?

I didn't already know the answer but I had pretty much already made my mind up as to what I thought (doesn't mean I'm right either). I asked the question because I was wondering how it compared to actually singing. My buddy was basically like, "I can really sing so I'm actually doing something for real in this game". He was wondering if I could do it and I told him that if I owned the game (didn't play it at a friend's house) I could get good at it and probably at least beat the vocal tour on hard. Well, he asked me why I thought that and I told him it wasn't because I had anymore talent at singing than him its just that I've been playing videogames for twenty years and I'm good at them. I wasn't trying to be arrogant about it with him; it was just something between the two of us and we both wanted to know the answer. Which there still hasn't been a full answer given to the question, people have stated their view of it but haven't backed it up with one fact/statement from the people that made the game. If someone can do that, we'll know even though its not really a matter of great importance.

TwistedFate
09-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I didn't already know the answer but I had pretty much already made my mind up as to what I thought (doesn't mean I'm right either). I asked the question because I was wondering how it compared to actually singing. My buddy was basically like, "I can really sing so I'm actually doing something for real in this game". He was wondering if I could do it and I told him that if I owned the game (didn't play it at a friend's house) I could get good at it and probably at least beat the vocal tour on hard. Well, he asked me why I thought that and I told him it wasn't because I had anymore talent at singing than him its just that I've been playing videogames for twenty years and I'm good at them. I wasn't trying to be arrogant about it with him; it was just something between the two of us and we both wanted to know the answer. Which there still hasn't been a full answer given to the question, people have stated their view of it but haven't backed it up with one fact/statement from the people that made the game. If someone can do that, we'll know even though its not really a matter of great importance.

In that case, no it isn't. You don't have be a good singer to do well at the singing portion. You have to have reasonable control of your voice and you have to be able to be watch the pitch line and react to it. That's it. .Like the guitar and drum portions it doesn't require the corresponding real world skills, but it does require similar RB skills.

There isn't a statement from the devs on how realistic the singing is. Even if there was, it wouldn't be trustworthy. Of course they are going to say it's realistic.

sharonoagain
09-08-2008, 10:29 PM
<snipped> Which there still hasn't been a full answer given to the question, people have stated their view of it but haven't backed it up with one fact/statement from the people that made the game. If someone can do that, we'll know even though its not really a matter of great importance.

Well, we aren't the people that made the game, we are just fans. You will get a different answer from each person you ask because we all put into it what we want to. Wanna sing for real? You can. Wanna fake it? You can. BUT ... you still have to follow the rules of the game or you fail.

KingSigy
09-08-2008, 11:54 PM
My only real problem with Vocals in Rock Band is the damn talk parts. I can 90% Timmy on Expert Vocals and then play it about 5 minutes later and get 70%. It's so stupid. I otherwise do exceptional on Vocals, because I tend to memorize pitch range fairly quick. One other thing that helps me is that I remember the rhythm and music better than anyone I have met. You ask me about a song and I can hum the Guitar/Bass/Drum parts to you almost perfectly, so the Vocals kind of find a way with me since I already have the rhythm down perfect.