PDA

View Full Version : Rock Band 2 Drums

Dex
09-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Kotaku has some nice pictures of the new drums. At least, nicer than the grainy pics from E3...
http://kotaku.com/5045854/a-close-look-at-the-rock-band-2-drums

http://kotaku.com/assets/images/kotaku/2008/09/DSC02933.JPG

I didn't feel that pictures of the new RB2 drums was worthy of it's own post, so I pose a question to everyone; What are you planning on doing about RB2 and drumming?

Buying the new drums individually?
Waiting for the bundle?
Getting the ION deluxe drum set?

Personally, I'm gonna stick with my old RB1 drums for now. If I hear some very positive reviews on the GH:WT drums (since it's already been announced/confirmed that they will work with RB), I might buy those when GH:WT comes out this October. Maybe.

APX
09-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Personally hearing from a few friends and the internet, the RB1 drums did break/go faulty after awhile, if Harmonix is true to their word, then this could be THE replacement, but then again the RB 1 drums did have mods that you could do to them to make them better. I hope the RB2 drums allow this as well. :D

But for now i'm waiting for the bundle.

spankyNspronkle
09-05-2008, 11:40 PM
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

I am not buying anymore plastic instruments unless they break... i have too many as it is...

good ol boy366
09-06-2008, 02:35 AM
i'm gonna use the gh:wt drums with it.

mietha CAG
09-06-2008, 10:29 AM
i'm gonna use the gh:wt drums with it.
Yeah, seriously, me too. Where's that option? I like the idea of elevated cymbols that I don't have to pay an extra $15 each for.

edd__
09-06-2008, 11:06 AM
the GH:WT kit imo just look ugly as! ;D

I dont feel its worth forking out more money for only a bit of improvement. No added cymbals = no sale.
Would love to get the ion kit, but it's a pricy fucker. $300 USD is about 170, plus we'll have to pay more for shipping, so in excess of 200 i reckon. Really want it, but is it worth it?

TwistedFate
09-06-2008, 01:15 PM
I didn't vote cause there isn't a "wait and see" option. My RB1 drums work fine so I'm just going to get the game at first and make the decision later on what to do.

I think the GH:WT kit will be awkward to use in RB because of the layout with the loss of one note on the chart. Tha's just a guess based on what I've seen of the kits. Won't really know until someone actually uses the kit with RB.

I want the Ions, but that is a lot of money for a game controller.

Eventually I may get the RB2 drums if I don't end up with the Ions. I'm on the fence about GH:WT again.

Matrarch
09-06-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm going to stick with my RB1 drums for now. My yellow pad is getting seriously bad though, so that may not last too long.

I'll be waiting to hear what people say about both drum kits. In the end, as much as I love the drumming parts and hate dropping so many notes, I probably won't buy another kit till the one I have totally craps out on me and then it'll probably be an RB2 one unless it reviews terribly.

blurbia
09-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Using my RB1 drums til GHWT comes out, then using GHWT drums for both games.

RINGO
09-07-2008, 02:59 AM
I am definitely getting the new one because my old drum set is falling apart! :(

the drum heads are cracked in half even (my friends, family and myself are learning to hit softer....lol)

SebastianSB
09-07-2008, 03:19 AM
I'm sticking with my original set. It's still in great condition because I suck at playing drums lol

nightmare975
09-07-2008, 03:22 AM
I'm getting the RB2 drums because my other ones are just too damn loud.

Lucent Beam
09-07-2008, 04:07 AM
I am definitely getting the new one because my old drum set is falling apart! :(

the drum heads are cracked in half even (my friends, family and myself are learning to hit softer....lol)

The RB1 drums are now $50. Seriously, buy us a new set.
Every time I even attempt to play, it ends up just pissing me off and I don't end up having fun because the yellow drum is broken so badly. There are some songs that are impossible to beat now because of it.. like A Clean Shot.. there's no way to make it through the yellow, yellow+bass part without dying.

:uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi:

D3adcell86
09-07-2008, 04:12 AM
My drum set is broken, I have to buy new ones.

arCtiK AsSaSsIn
09-07-2008, 04:18 AM
I am getting the ION set and the third cymbal :P :P
I'm really excited for September 14 :woop:

SC Defective
09-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Ive got way too many plastic instruments already, I wont be buying anymore probably ever again.

It is not necessary to use the cymbals to play the game is it?

edd__
09-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Not necessary no. The cymbals are just yellow, blue and/or green, so work in the same way as the pads, only replicating a real drum kit more.
If you've ever played the real drums, you'll know that you cross your hands over while playing the hi-hat and snare, which you can't do without cymbals.
Innovation, then perfection.

If the ion kit is as good as it looks in terms of studiness and reliability... I really bloody want it! My second kit is getting worn now, and i've had to stop a lot of my mates and family playing it because they smash the crap out of them.

SC Defective
09-07-2008, 05:10 PM
thanks alot edd.
Just the game for me then.

Oh a side note, is it possible to upgrade the RB1 kit with the cymbals?

TwistedFate
09-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Oh a side note, is it possible to upgrade the RB1 kit with the cymbals?

No, there is no input for the cymbal triggers on the RB1 kit.

SC Defective
09-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks fate, it would be nice to have if I eventually felt like putting out the extra cash, but like some of you mentioned its not necessary.

RPDfire
09-07-2008, 11:08 PM
u guys think u can trade in ur falty rb1 drums 4 the new ones wen it is released.

ILoveAztecChick
09-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Poll needs an option "Not buying drums because neighbors downstairs complain when I play." What I'd give to be able to play drums when I want to. You lucky bastards!

edd__
09-08-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm so glad for the RB drums for the same reason Aztec!
I can rarely play my real drums because they're so fucking loud. Only play them when no one is in my house, and there's no cars by any of my neighbours' houses 'cause they all get so pissed off!

APX
09-08-2008, 04:58 PM
My drum set is broken, I have to buy new ones.

Ones? Seems to me like you go through them like hotcakes :P

brak4222
09-08-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm going to wait and see if the new drums have any issues like the old ones do. Then I will decide if I'm getting the RB2 drums or the GHWT drums.

HumphriesT
09-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Personally, im going to stick with the good ol' RB1 drums. Havent died on me yet. But i will be replacing my footpedal. Ive been reading alot on some bad ass footpedal thats lighter on the pressure, yet made of steel. Im a sucker for anything thats built well really.

-tommy

Chilidog Chaos
09-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Ya it's called rockbandpedal.net. Highly recomend it :)

MrPaypaChasa
09-10-2008, 05:21 AM
I started a thread on this but I am looking for an immediate answer. Does anyone know if I can buy the ION Drums from a local retailer like best buy or gamestop

TwistedFate
09-10-2008, 05:36 AM
I started a thread on this but I am looking for an immediate answer. Does anyone know if I can buy the ION Drums from a local retailer like best buy or gamestop

If you need an immediate asnswer you might consider searching on the BestBuy and GameStop websites.

Dex
09-10-2008, 06:56 AM
If you need an immediate asnswer you might consider searching on the BestBuy and GameStop websites.
Thank you. I was about to say the same thing in his other thread, but felt it was too mean. You proved me wrong ;)

To MrPaypaChasa: I believe the only way to buy the ION drum set is from their website;

https://www.drumrocker.com/products/index.php

If they did offer it via authorized reseller, it would probably be listed on their website.

APX
09-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Gamestop has been talking about it, but not confirming if they will have it the day of the release, though Amazon has it for the normal price + free shipping. :)

Dex
09-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Gamestop has been talking about it, but not confirming if they will have it the day of the release, though Amazon has it for the normal price + free shipping. :)
Yeah, I saw it on Amazon and added it to my wishlist (yeah right), and laughed my ass off at this picture:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/dexisajerk/41v7qMl96fL_SS400_.jpg

I figured whatshisface was asking about a brick & mortar shop, not an online transaction.

edd__
09-10-2008, 11:03 AM
I figured whatshisface was asking about a brick & mortar shop, not an online transaction.
I doubt you'd find drums in a shop that sells bricks and mortar.

TwistedFate
09-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Thank you. I was about to say the same thing in his other thread, but felt it was too mean. You proved me wrong ;)

When have I ever backed away because something is mean? :woop: But honestly, I wasn't trying to be mean. It just seems to me that the logical thing to do if you want to know if X store has/will have Y product is to do a quick search of X stores website.

APX
09-10-2008, 01:24 PM

True, but then again, there hasn't been alot of talk if major retail stores will get the ion drums or not, after all, how many 10-15 year olds will buy a 300 drum set?

Dex
09-10-2008, 09:47 PM
True, but then again, there hasn't been alot of talk if major retail stores will get the ion drums or not, after all, how many 10-15 year olds will buy a 300 drum set?
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1139817&postcount=3

glasstiger50
09-11-2008, 03:04 AM
Can someone give me a link proving that Guitar Hero 4 drums will be compatible with Rock Band 2? Because my friend is adamant about the fact that they won't be.

Dex
09-11-2008, 03:09 AM
Can someone give me a link proving that Guitar Hero 4 drums will be compatible with Rock Band 2? Because my friend is adamant about the fact that they won't be.
Are you too lazy to search for it yourself?

http://kotaku.com/5039100/microsoft-+-all-our-instruments-cross+compatible-too

glasstiger50
09-11-2008, 03:12 AM
I looked on google and found this. The rest was all bullshit....http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52693 So no, to answer your question.

Dex
09-11-2008, 03:50 AM
So no, to answer your question.
It was a rhetorical question. Also, next time you can always consult Wikipedia.

HeavenSoldier
09-11-2008, 06:49 PM
the new drums look, and in detail, sound better than rb1 drums...i'd get them if i had the money but i don't sadly...as long as i can use my gh3 guitar with rb2 just like in rb1 i'll be happy.

kantizuni
09-11-2008, 07:02 PM
I have been planning to get the ION kit. My question though, is what does this mean?
From the website:

"When you're ready to move from playing Rock Band to playing in a rock band, you can swap the game controller module with one of the professional drum brains made by Alesis, and you're ready to hit the road for real!"

If we want to use it as a real drum kit (as has been one of the biggest selling points IMO), we have to buy a seperate controller chip? I'm guessing that'll be hundreds of dollars too...

TwistedFate
09-11-2008, 07:24 PM
I have been planning to get the ION kit. My question though, is what does this mean?
From the website:

"When you're ready to move from playing Rock Band to playing in a rock band, you can swap the game controller module with one of the professional drum brains made by Alesis, and you're ready to hit the road for real!"

If we want to use it as a real drum kit (as has been one of the biggest selling points IMO), we have to buy a seperate controller chip? I'm guessing that'll be hundreds of dollars too...

It's not a chip, it's an entire unit, and yes it's $300 more to use it as a e-kit unless you already have a brain laying around.

So to recap:
Ion drums for RB2: $300
Brain to use Ions as real drums: $300
Total to use Ions as real drums: $600

kantizuni
09-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Been reading more about it online..

All those people who say they will buy it because it's "$300 for a REAL electronic drum kit! Hell of a deal!" are going to be disappointed. The fact that it doesn't come with the brain was not common knowledge. At least not to me.

TwistedFate
09-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Been reading more about it online..

All those people who say they will buy it because it's "$300 for a REAL electronic drum kit! Hell of a deal!" are going to be disappointed. The fact that it doesn't come with the brain was not common knowledge. At least not to me.

Which is why I make sure to point that out every time somebody says it. Most of the regulars on this site know it and point it out, too.

Dla911
09-12-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm kinda back and forth on this one, if the drums dont come in for me this week, i'm just going to buy the game and get the bundle in Oct and just give the game disk away to family that plays RB1, dont really care about the mic and the guitar, now with the GH:WT going to work on rock band makes me think should i just get that one for here or not, because i have both bundles on pre-order right now, Money is not the problem. Space is not the problem eather, So i'm kinda back and forth, i like the way the Rock band drums are, I find that the GHWT ones look too compressed to me but again I dont know i'm kinda back and forth on this one.

I have 3 Guitars, 2 mics (if u add the headset) and 1 drum kit, Now if i go with both bundles, i will have 5 guitars, 3 mics and 3 drum kits, and with GH metallica coming out it will be up to 6 guitars so.

Lukus Howlett
09-12-2008, 01:48 AM
Does anyone know if the pads are adjustable this time and will they also be making the guitar nicer to play? I always feel like I'm playing with a fisherprice toy set when I play Rock Band :(

Chilidog Chaos
09-12-2008, 03:36 AM
What do you mean my adjustable pads? They have adjustable hight's but that's all I can think of ATm.

Lucent Beam
09-13-2008, 06:19 AM
Ahhhhh, the RB2 drums are so much better!!!!
The pads feel so nice and it's so much quieter. And the posts have markings on it so your drums are always even and at the right height.
It really surprised me how much quieter!! Yay.

Ahhhhhhh, I haven't played drums in over a month and now I'm on like cloud nine!

One odd thing though, I cannot for the life of me get the wireless headset to sync with the drums.. It just always shows up as another controller. The only way to get the headset to sync with a different controller at all when the drums are on is to have a wired headset plugged into the drums already and then someone else can get assigned the wireless. Isn't that strange......??

o0 TommyGuns 0o
09-13-2008, 06:48 AM
im just using the drums from rockband 1

D3adcell86
09-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Me and Lucent got the rockband 2 drums today, they are not street dated so gamestop had them on sale. So anyone that wants them early go pick them up. They are really nice, way better then rb1 drums. The pads are so soft and bouncy, they are really quiet too.

APX
09-13-2008, 08:15 AM
All I have to say to you expert drummers... good luck. :D

YouTube - Rock Band 2 - Visions DRUMS WOW! WTF!?

Dex
09-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Me and Lucent got the rockband 2 drums today, they are not street dated so gamestop had them on sale. So anyone that wants them early go pick them up. They are really nice, way better then rb1 drums. The pads are so soft and bouncy, they are really quiet too.
I played them at Best Buy today, and I totally agree. not a huge improvement over the RB1 drums, but I still really liked them. If anyone gets an offer from a friend to buy your old drums... sell them, and buy the RB2 drums.

I'd say the new drums are at least 25% better than the old ones.

Lucent Beam
09-13-2008, 03:35 PM
I played them at Best Buy today, and I totally agree. not a huge improvement over the RB1 drums, but I still really liked them. If anyone gets an offer from a friend to buy your old drums... sell them, and buy the RB2 drums.

I'd say the new drums are at least 25% better than the old ones.

For me they are a huge improvement over the RB1 drums because I gave my pristine set to my little sister and now only have had D3adcell's stupid broken ones, aka can't play on them. So, uh, lol, my excitement come from them being 100% more functional than the old set.

OzzieDreamer
09-13-2008, 05:12 PM
The GH:WT drums look great. If I have the cash, I may upgrade later. This is sure gonna be a fun time for people who are into music games.....

aznstomper
09-13-2008, 05:29 PM
i'm sticking with the rb1 drums for now, if they break on me i'll probably pick up the new ones. just don't feel like spending the money if i don't have to.

edd__
09-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Seriously, i'm getting really bewildered by people saying that the GH:WT drums look good! I just can't fathom it. I think they look like shit, really unaesthetically pleasing

XVx KILL SWITCH
09-14-2008, 02:33 AM
90 dolars for something I already have?... not yet:biglaugh

TJMJ2356
09-15-2008, 12:37 AM
ok im sorry if this topic already came up but can u use the drum set from RB2 on RB1? and also the GH:WT drums can u also use them on RB1 and RB2?

RadioactiveT
09-15-2008, 02:13 AM
played both RB2 and GH wt at pax . i liked the WT drums better