PDA

View Full Version : Windows Live ID Hacked

tremberz
09-06-2008, 05:19 PM
So I was playing Army of Two (EU) earlier today, and I got disconnected from Xbox Live and a message popped up saying my gamertag has been recovered on another xbox. I thought, oh fuck my account has been hacked. I immediately went onto hotmail.com and tried to sign into my email but no luck.
A few minutes later, i signed into a one month gold membership I made a few weeks ago and sent a message to tremberz (my account that got hacked) who was on the dashboard. I said what the fuck are you doing? He replied saying "T D S - the Dark Side". He also mentioned he enjoyed hacking into accounts, what a cunt.
I then rung up Xbox support who were very helpful and were able to cancel my credit card details that were on my account and also "froze" the gamertag so the bastard couldn't sign online. Xbox Support then told me to contact Windows Live ID to reset my password so I can carry on using my real gamertag. I went onto a website where I filled out a form stating my problem and I am awaiting an reply via email from them.
The thing that I am worried about is that I do not know my secret answer to my question. I know it sounds stupid, but because me hotmail email isn't my primary email I never use it and I made it over three years ago, so I don't know my secret answer.
I just decided to share this with everyone else so you are all aware, and I would also advise that you have another windows live ID (so if your account does get hacked, you can use the other one to change your hacked email's profile).
If you read through all this, sorry for the swearing, but I am really pissed off about this as anybody can be.
Does anyone know any solutions to this or can anyone give me some advice on what to do?

Sanction
09-06-2008, 05:27 PM
If you had a vision camera you could've sent him a message to F O.

I hate people who hack for the hell of it, whereas the working class hackers get a bad rep.

tremberz
09-06-2008, 05:33 PM
LOL, i actually gt a friend to send him a pic of him puttin his middle finger up.

EvilestBean
09-06-2008, 05:48 PM
sorry to hear that, and thanks for the information ill make sure ill do that. Surely MS has got to do something about the account hackers or atleast there should be an option were you can take your credit card details of.

Morty
09-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Hackers sucks. Fact.

Yeah iv had my msn hacked before but luckily it wasnt the one linked to my xbox live.
Why would anyone want to do something like that? its like they have nothign better to do. Why cant they go on there own and just play and get on with it and have a laugh like everyone ealse!?

-Morty

Crimson Ridley
09-06-2008, 06:43 PM
That really sucks, but at the same time it's kind of funny....No one remembers their Secret Answer. :p

J.Waddo
09-06-2008, 06:50 PM
The exact same thing has pretty much happened to me:eek: My hotmail account has been hacked, meaning I cant log on to windows messenger or xbox.com, I've managed to put a pass code on my xbox so that if my account does get hacked then the bastard cant get on live.
Is there any chance you could post the URL of the website you used to state your problem, because my secret question has been changed...:mad:

CyanideBreathMint
09-06-2008, 06:52 PM
I hate people who hack for the hell of it, whereas the working class hackers get a bad rep.
Only because I have no knowledge in this area: What exactly do 'working class' hackers do that's reputable?

tremberz
09-06-2008, 07:03 PM
The exact same thing has pretty much happened to me:eek: My hotmail account has been hacked, meaning I cant log on to windows messenger or xbox.com, I've managed to put a pass code on my xbox so that if my account does get hacked then the bastard cant get on live.
Is there any chance you could post the URL of the website you used to state your problem, because my secret question has been changed...:mad:

I stated the problem on xbox.com in the forums, and I got a few replies. Here is the link to my thread, there is somewhere in there that tells you what to do:

http://forums.xbox.com/22576516/ShowPost.aspx

Also, how do you get a password for your gamertag then?

Sanction
09-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Only because I have no knowledge in this area: What exactly do 'working class' hackers do that's reputable?

It was a joke. :P

RXRob
09-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Unfortunately the only advice that there is to prevent this has been around for years.

Don't give out your password, even to Microsoft.
Don't make your secret question easy.
Try to use a combination of letters and numbers, and avoid words or numbers that have any meaning to you.

My password is a random word from a dictionary, and some random numbers. I have it memorized, and nobody else knows it.

Still, how sad are people when all they have to do is steal people's XBL accounts? They could at least go for bank accounts or something.

tremberz
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
The thing is, my password wasn't guessed, but I don't know how they got it. I am going to try and get someone to hack into my hotmail and change the password, will this work?

Bobtroid
09-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Did you go on any fake log ins?

CyanideBreathMint
09-07-2008, 08:16 AM
The thing is, my password wasn't guessed, but I don't know how they got it. I am going to try and get someone to hack into my hotmail and change the password, will this work?
More than likely you clicked at link either from a board message you read or from a Live message you got and when you did, it appeared to you that you logged out of Windows Live and it asked for your email and password.

Pootcrum
09-07-2008, 12:26 PM
More than likely you clicked at link either from a board message you read or from a Live message you got and when you did, it appeared to you that you logged out of Windows Live and it asked for your email and password.

Thatd do it. Quite a few people on my MSN list have done stupid shit like that. Its damn unfortunate but the internet is not at all safe from everyday peoples. Always remember if its sus, stay away, your instincts are probably right.

And to the OP I hope it all works out for you. There are more and more stories like this popping up on these forums, me thinks I might change my live ID details soon just for good measure.

tremberz
09-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Well, I reset my password for Windows Live ID and I am now recovering my gamertag. However, the bastard changed my gamertag from "tremberz" to "Om nom num". WTF? They also bought 15 000 microsoft points from my credit card. Thats not too much of a problem because Xbox support said they will refund me. Does anyone know if you can change back to a previous gamertag? Im sure Xbox support would be able to do it.

dakisbac
09-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Don't even bother with phone support. Go to:

https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlidvalidation&ct=eformcs&scrx=1

and enter the information you registered with (hopefully you put legit info) and they'll send you a password reset form to another email address that you specify.

Alternatively, you may be able to get M$ support to tell you the secret answer, but they aren't supposed to be giving that away so you'll have a difficult time.

EDIT: Well, you've got that all sorted out, now to answer your other questions. Yes you can change your name back provided no one has taken it, and given that you were hacked, you should try and get M$ to change it for free. Also, you will be refunded, it will juts take a couple months.

Now a question for you, did you just cancel the card or did they delete it from your ID? I cancelled my card when this happened to me, but it's been 4 months and they still haven't removed it.

tremberz
09-07-2008, 11:01 PM
No I didn't cancel my card, they said they would delete it from profile which they haven't. The were very helpful, however they said they were going to freeze the gamertag so they couldn't sign online again, however I managed to recover it after I got my new password. I will give the same people a ring tomorrow and tell them about it, they should help.

o0 TommyGuns 0o
10-12-2008, 07:26 PM
hey tremberz can u help me out and explain exactely what u did to get your account back it happeed to me and i dont no what to do

Daggermn
12-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Hey everyone. I know this thread is a couple months old, but I just had my gamertag stolen on friday night. I caught the problem only a few hours after it was stolen. I changed my password on my hotmail account before that could be changed. Then I called 18004myxbox. I had been dealing with 3 supervisors now and it has been sent to the investigations department (whatever that means). They even tell me that they have escalated it to a higher priority after I talked their ears off for an hour.

My question is: What does it mean to have your LIVE ID stolen? Is that your hotmail account? Since I saved that from being stolen, is it possible that M$ might be able to recover my account? Any feedback would be of great help to me.

BTW... Don't anyone go to mlgsponsorships.T35. IT IS A HACKER'S SITE. It's how they stole my account. Be careful.

HacksawDoomx187
12-14-2008, 08:24 AM
BTW... Don't anyone go to mlgsponsorships.T35. IT IS A HACKER'S SITE. It's how they stole my account. Be careful.

I'm not sure I can answer your question but thank you for the warning about the site. That really sucks.

Nerdz0r
12-14-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't know my email secret passwords, I might reset them actually.

Sad to hear this crap happening though.

Cacky
12-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Some people will do anything to for attention. At least you can carry on using your original Gamertag.

SuperNova X2X
12-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Same thing happened to me, but I've given up with MS support, so I started fresh.

And I've tried to reset my hotmail password 3 times but it always comes back negative, so I don't know whats happened.

XxDarkMaster1xX
12-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Uh earlier I tried to log In and most of the screen said error found but I could still type In my e-mail and pass and got onto the log In screen using a Link I've put In my favourites.I entered my pass an then a screen came up saying error found so I refreshed and my account was signed In so I immediatly changed my pass.Was this an attempt to get my account?

Bababoof
12-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Wow that sucks. Can't do anything other than wish luck

gskillz99
12-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks for warning me. I just realized that I too don't know my secret answer and I just changed it because of you.

BigFellaJake
12-15-2008, 03:13 PM
If i used an email account which i have only ever used twice to make my account, Would that be safe from hackers? It's only because there seem to of been a few threads about hacked accounts and you can never be to sure