PDA

View Full Version : DS Wifi connection

Waaaaaaaak
09-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Just bought my wife a DSlite with Mario Kart. Thought I'd check out the online play via my wireless network, but the DS won't find my network.

Please tell me I don't have to buy the USB Wifi connector (http://www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/731691/Nintendo_DS_Wi_Fi_USB_Connector/Product.html) to play online :mad:

I assumed the wifi connection on the DS would pick up my network like my PSP does...

L3giOn
09-07-2006, 08:41 PM
I used to have one and mine worked fine. Do you have a wireless router?

Waaaaaaaak
09-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Yes. Our laptop, both PSP's, 360 and even my Nokia N80 connect wirelessly, but the DS says no networks in range.

Wierd eh? At least you've confirmed for me that it should work. Cheers.

L3giOn
09-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Yes. Our laptop, both PSP's, 360 and even my Nokia N80 connect wirelessly, but the DS says no networks in range.

Wierd eh? At least you've confirmed for me that it should work. Cheers.

Yeah mine worked fine without the connecter. Sorry man, I don't know what else to tell you. :Bounce:

Fonkey Monkey
09-07-2006, 08:56 PM
you should get that one ds wifi thing, its only $40, thats what i plan on doing when i get a lite

Waaaaaaaak
09-07-2006, 09:00 PM
you should get that one ds wifi thing, its only $40, thats what i plan on doing when i get a lite

But I thought that was launched, so people without a wireless network could still use their DS online.

Legion's confirmed that I shouldn't need that, as I already have a wireless network. Oh well.

L3giOn
09-07-2006, 09:01 PM
But I thought that was launched, so people without a wireless network could still use their DS online.

Legion's confirmed that I shouldn't need that, as I already have a wireless network. Oh well.

You're right, because there are DS 'hotspots'. McDonalds for example is one of them.

SaiSpag
09-30-2006, 11:45 PM
That's odd, mine works fine as well.
Maybe too many things connected at once if you have all of that on?
USB sounds quickest and easiest fix though, no messing with your router and cocking everythign that way.

Zee
10-01-2006, 09:31 AM
http://www.nintendowifi.com/customersupport/routerSelect.do?manufacturer=Westell&router=%2Frouters%2Fen%2F2410%2F2410.html
Try to find your wireless router. If it's not there that means the ds can't use that router. If it can, check out the tech support on the upper bar.

Waaaaaaaak
10-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Cheers. My router is listed and I have already tried everything they suggest on their tech support pages.

Not to worry, it's my wife's DS and she's not into online play, so it's no great loss.

Thanks for your help though... :drunk

Monsterbox
10-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Is your router set to broadcast it's SSID number? Do you have encryption set-up?

My security set-up for my router is based on MAC address, so only approved MAC addresses can connect to the system. Though I'm sure if you had any of that set up you'd have known it. Unless someone else set it all up for you.

One thing that can be done to help prevent people from stealing bandwidth is to turn off SSID broadcast. Basically, the router stops telling devices that it is in-range and available. However, devices that had already been configured for that router before turning off the SSID broadcast will have no problem finding it. So, if the DS can't find it and you bring in some other new device and it can't find it either, that is likely your problem...