PDA

View Full Version : How do I take my credit card off the payment options and redeem a live code?

Inyaface13
09-10-2008, 01:35 AM
I was wanting to redeem a code of 1 free month of xbox live but when I put in the code it says that my "Payment option has been denied. please update your payment information." and "You cannot redeem a prepaid code untill you provide a valid payment option."

I have used my credit card last month to get a month of live and now I am trying to use a prepaid code to get live.

Why cant I?

naptownsteeler
09-10-2008, 01:38 AM
You have to call xbox and have them remove it. Sadly there is know option to do that.

Inyaface13
09-10-2008, 01:40 AM
So I cant use the prepaid code till I call them?

gamerguy69
09-10-2008, 01:57 AM
That's weird. Are you going thru the "Redeem Code" of the MarketPlace? I had my credit card on file to pay monthly and when I received my complimentary 1 month of LIVE with my RRoD repair, I was able to use it right away. I then noticed the renewal had been reset to N/A and I just left it alone. The card hasn't been charged since.

Has the card on file expired?

Inyaface13
09-10-2008, 02:02 AM
Yeah im going to Account Management from the Xbox 360 dashbord
then I go to Memberships and click on Xbox Live Monthly Gold Membership then click Redeem Code put the prepaid code in and it says that...

The card is not expired its just I dont have the money in that account to pay for the live. Thats why I wanted to use the prepaid code.

UCB Disco
09-10-2008, 02:14 AM
I always wondered about the removing of a credit card on the payment options. I lost my American Express 6 months ago, but I can't get it removed from my payment options. So it makes it a bit hard to decipher which one is my new card and which one is my old card. hahaha.

gamerguy69
09-10-2008, 02:46 AM
Hmmmmm. Try not going through "Account Management". Just go directly to "Redeem Code". Not sure if it would help but that's how I enter my pre-paid cards. Worth a shot.

Edit: Ok, you say there is no money on that card that you have on file. That is the problem. The card must have something on it for them to do a pre-authorization. They are not trying to charge you but just verifying that the payment method is valid. There cannot be a zero balance on the card. I know my card didn't have enough to pay for 1 month before I entered the code. They may be trying to do a $1 pre-authorization. The charge DOES NOT go thru but you must have something in that account for it to be validated. My Blockbuster normally does a $1 authorization each time I rent a video game from them. I usually use a FREE coupon but they still need to do the authorization on the card. (You are not actually charged $1 as the pre-authorization will just drop off after 2 or 3 days)

Edit2: Get something in that account and try redeeming the code then. Afterwards, when you go to "Account Management" you may see that renewal reset to N/A (leave it) . . . the card should not be charged again. That was my experience.

Parkerktm
09-10-2008, 04:43 AM
Are you sure? Is this just for the subscription codes or for MS points, because for MS points i go to the purchase screen and then select X or Y to add MS points, then select prepaid code.

Inyaface13
09-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Are you sure? Is this just for the subscription codes or for MS points, because for MS points i go to the purchase screen and then select X or Y to add MS points, then select prepaid code.

Nah Im talking about xbox live subscription codes.

gamerguy69
09-10-2008, 05:50 AM
Nah Im talking about xbox live subscription codes.

The "Redeem Code" link should work for ANY code no matter what it's for -- 48-hour Trial, MS points, Gold subscription, Arcade download card.

see, my previous post . . .

but if there is no $$$ on the current card/account you have on file "The card is not expired its just I dont have the money in that account to pay for the live." I am guessing that may be the problem the system is having.

Inyaface13
09-10-2008, 07:46 AM
If I go to Microsofts billing website and sign into my account and look at my billing and account management I can click on billing on the left and scroll down to my services and it says

Xbox Live Monthly Gold Membership Enabled

I can click on Xbox Live Monthly Gold Membership and then I have the option to "Cancel My Service".

What will that do?
That will not mess my achievements, gamerscore, or gamertag up will it?

Crimson Ridley
09-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Do what that guy said and just stick a couple of quid on your account. Then you're all good.

DJbruce
09-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Have you tried redeeming the code online ? on the LIVE website ?

Inyaface13
09-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Do what that guy said and just stick a couple of quid on your account. Then you're all good.

Yeah next paycheck im putting the money in there.

Have you tried redeeming the code online ? on the LIVE website ?

Yeah it says the same thing.

gamerguy69
09-11-2008, 05:39 AM
When is the card scheduled to be billed again? If they attempt to charge you for another month and there aren't sufficient funds in the account I believe they would suspend the account and you won't be able to sign-in to LIVE.

That opens up a whole other can of worms and I've read posts on this forum with people having a heck of a time trying to resolve that particular issue.

Having a couple of bucks in the account now could probably save you a bigger headache down the road.

Tiberian
09-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Your best option is to just call MS and have them remove it. Its something actually, i'll have to do next month as i'd rather buy the prepaid game cards than have my credit card details linked to my live account. Though the redeem 1 month card worked fine for me this month but its still set to automatically renew 12 months (charging my card).

Sadly, its a scam really. No option to turn off "automatic renewal" either, which is what i need. The fact they don't have a basic option to remove cc details is really annoying.

Inyaface13
09-11-2008, 09:26 AM
When is the card scheduled to be billed again? If they attempt to charge you for another month and there aren't sufficient funds in the account I believe they would suspend the account and you won't be able to sign-in to LIVE.

That opens up a whole other can of worms and I've read posts on this forum with people having a heck of a time trying to resolve that particular issue.

Having a couple of bucks in the account now could probably save you a bigger headache down the road.

The card was scheduled to be billed again the 6th and there was not any more in there at the moment.
I never used that account and I had just enought to get 1 month of live so I got it thinkin I could cancel the card at anytime...so yeah here I am.

gamerguy69
09-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Your best option is to just call MS and have them remove it. Its something actually, i'll have to do next month as i'd rather buy the prepaid game cards than have my credit card details linked to my live account. Though the redeem 1 month card worked fine for me this month but its still set to automatically renew 12 months (charging my card).

Sadly, its a scam really. No option to turn off "automatic renewal" either, which is what i need. The fact they don't have a basic option to remove cc details is really annoying.

Just go into your "Account Management" and change to auto-renewal at the monthly rate. That is one of the first things I did after I started my LIVE.

Better to get hit with a monthly charge than a whole year all at once.

Not sure what kind of billing differences there are between the UK and the U.S. but I've had a card on file for auto-billing and it is no longer being charged. No call to MS was ever necessary.

EvilestBean
09-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Go onto Reedem code, thats what I do and it works fine :).

Inyaface13
09-12-2008, 07:12 AM
Go onto Reedem code, thats what I do and it works fine :).

Yeah man I tried that and it did not work.

gamerguy69
09-12-2008, 01:49 PM
I see your Gamercard still shows you at GOLD status. Are you saying that the charge on the 6th (of September) was the one that depleted your account. Apparently, the charge was successful since you are still playing online.

With the next scheduled charge for October 6th, just enter the code before that date and make sure there is money on the card/account. That should work.

Inyaface13
09-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Nah the charge was supposed to happen September 6th but since I didnt have the money in then I figured I should put the code in. I have no clue why its still letting me play but I have no money in that account and they was supposed to renew it the 6th.