PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Elite data transfer

cwigham
09-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Hey guys,
My old premium console recently packed in, after months of threatening to do so. Needless to say I was gutted but replaced it with a lovely new Elite console.
I'm soon (when MS send me the kit) to do a data transfer between my old 20gb HDD to my new 120gb. I was just wondering if anyone on this forum has done this, and they come across any trouble?? I've read MS's fact sheet, and REALLY don't like the sound of losing anything from my old HDD.

Thanks for any info.

Carl

JC
09-10-2008, 06:06 PM
I have never heard of any problems when people transfer their data from their 20GB HDD to their 120GB HDD. :)

I am sure many people can back me up on this.

plumbpist
09-10-2008, 06:28 PM
I have been thinking of upgrading as well when the update comes so that I can install games but what is this "kit" that you speak of and how do you get it? I was under the impression that you just had to recover your gamertag on your new system, is that wrong? Is it really a hassle to transfer data to a new system?

Teve0rz
09-10-2008, 09:28 PM
yup i done the same from my RRoD premium to my elite, and it worked fine, just remember that if you've bought any games from XBLA you will need to redownload them!

cwigham
09-11-2008, 07:34 AM
I have been thinking of upgrading as well when the update comes so that I can install games but what is this "kit" that you speak of and how do you get it? I was under the impression that you just had to recover your gamertag on your new system, is that wrong? Is it really a hassle to transfer data to a new system?

When you upgrade to Elite, you go to the xbox website and print off a "data migration kit" form. You fill in your details, as well as the serial numbers of your core/premium and Elite consoles and send it to Microsoft. They'll send you (free of charge) the migration kit. Which is a lead to transfer from old HDD to new HDD. It takes about an hour to transfer I think.
I'm waiting for mine to come through, but in the meantime I'm using my 20gb on the elite.

plumbpist
09-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks cwigham I didn't know about that!

InkedUp
09-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Me and my brother have both done the transfer from the 20gb to the 120gb hard drive with no problems what so ever. If you only try to recover your tag on the new hard drive, you will lose your game saves, gamerpics, themes and arcade games that you have on the old one. The transfer is basically to move all of the above from one hard drive to the next.

dark lord me
09-14-2008, 01:47 AM
When i upgraded from 20 to 120 I lost my crackdown saves like i went to play it and it said like data corrupted so thats all that happened to me

Enter The Nutty
09-14-2008, 02:03 PM
i had no corrupt files or issues when i switched to an elite...my only gripe was that it took me a month and a half to get the kit from microsoft.

Whole process took a little more than an hour and my 80 or so arcade games mysteriously downloaded that night.

zyxomma100
09-14-2008, 04:17 PM
If you're upgrading to a new box, there are two things you have to do:

1. Transfer the data. Other people have already explained this, but here's the link to the pdf.
http://assets.xbox.com/en-us/support/MigrationKit-OrderForm.pdf
Microsoft has indicated they might stop providing free kits sometime in the future, but my guess is that they won't. It took me 2-3 weeks from the day I faxed the form (about 3 months ago) to get the kit from MS.

2. Transfer the licenses. Otherwise, you won't be able to use any DLC, including XBLA games, unless signed into Live. Here's the link:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/
Remember, after license migration, you HAVE to go to Download History and "redownload" EVERYTHING. However, since the data is already on your HDD, all it has to do is download the licenses, which is easy. The process takes about 5-20 minutes, depending on how much DLC you have.

neil_lien
01-20-2009, 11:45 AM
I faxed them the form on the 2nd of this month, and still waiting for the cable. I'm in the UK, so does it normally take this long to arrive?

Also the new system I got was the 60GB premium, I'm hoping they will send or even contact me if there is any doubts about not having an elite.

AngelArmed
01-20-2009, 02:17 PM
I purchased an Elite a few months ago, and in my opinion, there is a better way of transferring information than using the data migration kit. If you use the kit, you can't play any of your arcade games unless you are connected to Xbox Live. I guess that's not a huge issue, but it certainly isn't ideal.

So what's the alternative? Transferring your licenses. This is what MS does when you send in your console for repair and get a different unit in return. See the following link for more information:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

The downside to this method is that it requires you to re-download everything you have a license for that you want to have on the console. But this is a better solution, imo, because your download history gets moved to the new console, ensuring you will always have access to anything you've ever purchased.

Transfer Steps:
1) Move save games to new unit - this requires a 360 memory card.
2) Move profile to new unit.
3) Transfer licenses using information at the above link.

Hope this helps someone, as it took me a while to find out how to do this.

Cheers! :)

neil_lien
01-20-2009, 02:31 PM
AngelArmed, I don't think that method transfers game saves though.

EvilestBean
01-20-2009, 04:10 PM
There is about 6 threads on this.

neil_lien
01-20-2009, 04:20 PM
There is about 6 threads on this.
I'm sure there is, and this could be one of them. If you aren't going to contribute, you could have been abit useful listing those other threads here, otherwise you're not helping.

NorthernLass
01-20-2009, 04:30 PM
I got the transfer kit from Microsoft and transfered all my data no problem and then transfered licenses to ensure I could play all my arcade games on my new elite without being online.

neil_lien
01-20-2009, 04:36 PM
I got the transfer kit from Microsoft and transfered all my data no problem and then transfered licenses to ensure I could play all my arcade games on my new elite without being online.Think I will do the same, how long did it take for your transfer cable to arrive?

AngelArmed
01-20-2009, 08:58 PM
AngelArmed, I don't think that method transfers game saves though.

Hence step 1. :p

Pashos
01-20-2009, 10:34 PM
I got an Elite for Christmas so I had to get a transfer kit. It took about a week and a half from the time I sent the slip in until I received it. A couple days later I received another one too but I don't know why.

It took me about an hour and a half to transfer everything but I had my old hard drive completely filled. I had no problems with it. Once I did the license transfer I could play everything just like normal.

EvilestBean
01-20-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm sure there is, and this could be one of them. If you aren't going to contribute, you could have been abit useful listing those other threads here, otherwise you're not helping.
Im not trying to start something im just saying i dont need to list them because they are there and why didnt you use the search function?

neil_lien
01-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks AngelArmed and pashos18, that's what I'm going to do. Just ordered another transfer kit from MS (by phone this time) because mine still didn't arrive after 3 weeks since I faxed it - probably end up getting two now.

Im not trying to start something im just saying i dont need to list them because they are there and why didnt you use the search function?
I did use the search function, how else do you think I found this thread... it wasn't started recently if you hadn't noticed.

EvilestBean
01-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks AngelArmed and pashos18, that's what I'm going to do. Just ordered another transfer kit from MS (by phone this time) because mine still didn't arrive after 3 weeks since I faxed it - probably end up getting two now.

I did use the search function, how else do you think I found this thread... it wasn't started recently if you hadn't noticed.
Im not talking to you im talking to the thread maker.

AngelArmed
01-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks AngelArmed and pashos18, that's what I'm going to do.

Good luck! :)