PDA

View Full Version : Anyone stream movies/music from a wireless external hard drive?

MrChooChooHead
09-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Ive been looking into investing in a 1TB external hard drive.

I occasionally stream movies to my xbox through my desktop but am not too happy about running several devices at once.

is it possible to access a wireless hard drive through thier router to stream content to their xbox and tv without having to go through a windows pc?

My xbox has the RRoD so i cant look at the networking options of the media centre

if it is possible are their any good models to use?

Cheers

Pootcrum
09-12-2008, 01:28 AM
At first guess I would say no.

I stream from my PC pretty much everything i have, via the wireless router. BUT in order for the xbox to be detected (and for the xbox to see your media) you need to be running Windows Media Connect (either standalone, or via Windows Media Player 11, or Windows Media Centre).

If you do get it working however, post it up on here because it would be very handy to not have my PC on but still have all my media accessable.

Gun-Nut
09-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Unforntually there is not a way to get 360 to read and external hard-drive with out a PC present :(

Currently have a 1TB Hard-Drive that connects to the router with a Ethernet cable but only way for 360 to read from it was to use TVersity :)

Some do use Windows Media Connect but I don't believe that tries to transcode unreadable media, at least with TVersity it can pretty much read anything.

MrChooChooHead
09-12-2008, 09:19 PM
so let me clarify cause im relatively new to networking ( i only just worked out port forwarding):

- i may be able to skip a computer if there is an external hard drive which uses media connect and has the correct file formats

- tversity solves file format problems but still requires a windows pc

have i got that right?

OzzieDreamer
09-12-2008, 11:14 PM
I just put stuff on a portable usb stick and play. It plays just about anything. Radio Shack has 8 gig sticks for $25 this week. Not a ton of space, but an easy way to watch and listen right from your 360 without having to run any special software or have other devices running!

Pootcrum
09-13-2008, 03:51 AM
so let me clarify cause im relatively new to networking ( i only just worked out port forwarding):

- i may be able to skip a computer if there is an external hard drive which uses media connect and has the correct file formats

- tversity solves file format problems but still requires a windows pc

have i got that right?

You cant have just an external HDD attached to your network. You need to have an operating system somewhere because thats what the 360 looks for. It looks for 1. Media Centre or 2. Media Connect. Both of which need to be running on a computer that the 360 can access. If you have an external drive on your network and it is accessible by a computer on your network, then you can tell the 360 to look towards your computer which can then use your external drive as the source for your media using TVersity or even just simply media player (which is what I use).

EDIT: also, as stated already, the advantage of using TVersity over WMP11 is that TVersity will pretty much stream ANY file format in a way that the 360 can read it. I believe it will even stream .mkv files (720p). But WMP11 i find to be much easier to work with since its a windows thing, it just seemed to happen without much hassle.

Ashz0r
09-13-2008, 04:37 AM
Just build a very basic powersaving/silent PC in one of those micro cases (doesn't have to be anything expensive) stick your hard disk in it and connect it up to the network and stream from that rather then your main PC.

Pootcrum
09-13-2008, 04:58 AM
Absolutely, or if its externally powered, hook it directly to the 360, it should then pop up on the 360 as a removable disk.