PDA

View Full Version : 1 red ring of death?

KFZ Scrubs
09-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Srry, but this is the first time any of this has every happaned to me. My xbox recently got this one red ring in the lower right hand corner of my xbox and now it doesn't work. An error screen keeps popping up whenever i turn it on. I looked online to see what i could do and it said to disconnect everything then reconnect to see what the problem is. Turns out that whenever i plug in my audio/visual cable into a t.v or a computer monitor i get the red ring. Is there anything i can do to fix it?
If not will i have to send it in?

Pootcrum
09-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Refer to this page for the red ring codes and what they mean:

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=472553

Probably a hard drive error. Have you tried booting your 360 without the HDD attached?

Otherwise its a DVD drive error, or possibly a buggered AV cable. Try to eliminate possibilities by removing cables and/or swapping them with friends cables and such. If you cannot isolate the problem, then call support.

KFZ Scrubs
09-13-2008, 07:37 AM
thanks.... i think it might be a problem with the encoder chip though.
I have the regular av cable, an av cable to connect it to my computer and then i tried using an hdmi cable to the computer. Got the red thing over and over again.
So if it is an encoder chip problem do i send it in?

Pootcrum
09-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Well if it is an E74 and you have tried multiple AV cables, then I guess it points towards that then. That certainly wouldn't be a user serviceable problem, and so you would have to send it in. How new is your box? Because I'm pretty certain that your problem is not covered under the extended warranty. If its within a year then your golden.

KFZ Scrubs
09-13-2008, 09:13 AM
got my xbox in march.... i have the regular warranty i guess. Im gonna try some more to see if it works, if it doesn't then i guess im sending it in. Is there somewhere on this site on how to do this? I checked their support thing and already registered my xbox, don' know how to go on and send it though.

Pootcrum
09-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Well in Australia we have to ring support and they lodge a repair order and then via email send us a reply paid slip to put onto a box. We then pack up the 360 only (no HDD no faceplate no power brick) as best as possible and ship it off with the reply paid slip attached.

I believe in the US the support centre will send you a box into which you put your 360 and straight away post it back. Going to make an assumption and say you are in the states?

kiwi18
09-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Check THIS (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6259) for help.

knockton55
09-13-2008, 06:49 PM
It sounds like an E 47 error, I got this and my XBOX perished because of it. Beware, your XBOX probably is now on its way out.

Though you may be lucky

KFZ Scrubs
09-14-2008, 03:25 AM
yup, its an e74 error. I just got an email asking customer support and they said i gotta send it in....sigh.
Ohhhh well, more time to focus on school and stuff

xX MaslaN Xx
09-14-2008, 04:17 AM
take a look at this

/
/One red light flashes on the Ring of Light: Hardware failure. Restart
the console. Contact Xbox Customer Service if the problem is not
resolved. If the agent cannot help you resolve this issue, you will have to
return the console to Microsoft for repair.

One red light flashes on the Ring of Light and you receive an error
message: Hardware failure. Restart the console. Contact Xbox
Customer Service if the problem is not resolved. If the agent cannot help
you resolve this issue, you will have to return the console to Microsoft for
repair.

Dr. twinkletits
09-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Hey... i just got this too playing cod4. Im based overseas in japan and i was wondering if i could still send it back to microsoft to get it repaired. Im uncertain of this because every time i try to register there's an "error" and it only happens when i try to register my device. I just want to know if i could still do it cuz if not im just going to repair it myself since my warranty won't mean shit anyway.

Ryot Control
09-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Give em a call, there's nothing much that you can do but hope that they will fix it. Give them a good story.

Jesper114
09-25-2008, 03:56 PM
got the same problem. yesterday night everythign was ok came out of school started up my 360 and now i got 1 red light in the bottom right

Dr. twinkletits
09-25-2008, 09:55 PM
sigh.... alrite, now i gotta buy a phone card. I swear, they better not keep me on the phone for forever though.

afunk117
09-26-2008, 02:56 AM
once i was playing GTA4. and the red thing came up where the green light should be. i was SHIT SCARED. i didnt want it to break. it was standing up so my brother lies it down. it works much better

when we had it on floorboards it was standing up then it froze.

i suggest keeping it lied down. it works much better. and do not put it the wrong way lieing down or your an idiot if you try to put the disk in like that

nivadelak
09-26-2008, 07:39 AM
damn it, my console just got this problem... i restarted it over and over but no budge. im gonna try and switch av cables with a friend (PLEASE WORK!!!!!) but im scared the xbox's life's done. it would've been 2 years this christmas :(