PDA

View Full Version : Calibration Woes

Flik Nightshade
09-14-2008, 08:03 PM
I've been trolling around a few communities to see if I'm the only person having a problem getting Rock Band 2 to sync up with their TV.

Out of the box it seems to be a half second or so off. Just enough to throw rhythm off kilter. The manual calibration tool seems to give me a different reading every time I mess with it and none of the settings are quite right.

I've seen a few posts on xbox.com about this. I was just curious if you folks are experiencing the same thing.

Inhale3xhale
09-14-2008, 08:41 PM
I was having the same problem, but after a while, I got the offset at:

Audio=0
Video=22

that seems to work just fine for me, as I like to play my notes a little in advance, and it works great for drumming.

Sith Ninja 75
09-14-2008, 10:28 PM
I was having the same problem, but after a while, I got the offset at:

Audio=0
Video=22

that seems to work just fine for me, as I like to play my notes a little in advance, and it works great for drumming.

So, do you have an LCD, DLP, rear projection, CRT? That would be helpful.

Inhale3xhale
09-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh sorry, on my computer room TV I have just a standard 32" Sylvania. In the living room I have a 42" Toshiba LCD Flat Screen, I'm gonna move it in there later and I'll get the lag set-up info posted on here too, assuming people play the same way I do.

neok182
09-14-2008, 11:01 PM
the manual comes with some good things for presets i used the LCD 1 preset of 60/30 on my 22" LG HDTV, Component 1080i and it works perfectly.

wish they left the 'choose your tv and your done' calibration like in RB1 new one sucks unless you have the RB2 guitar.

jds1469
09-15-2008, 12:23 AM
im over at my friends house... what does it say for a DLP tv?

neok182
09-15-2008, 02:43 AM
heres what the guide says:

TYPE -- AUDIO -- VIDEO
LCD 1 - 60 - 30 (what i use)
LCD 2 - 5 - 50
CRT - 0 - 0 (no calibration should be needed at all)
DLP - 80 - 60
Rear-Projection - 5 - 30
Plasma - 50- 50

hope that helps. it's in the guide, page 7 if you need to double check. i found that for LCDS the 60/30 setup works best.

Flik Nightshade
09-15-2008, 04:03 AM
I ended up using LCD1 and everything is right as rain. Thanks for all the help!

Pezdspencer
09-15-2008, 04:56 AM
On my friends HD we had to change it to about 65 on audio, and 10 on visual. After the changes it was much better, though his drums are pretty wonky compared to my set. I dunno if its just that his aren't broken in as much as mine.

RiverCityDak
09-15-2008, 05:26 AM
I found the calibration to be off, too. Before I even played my first song, I set it to what my RB1 setup is... -35, 0. It felt way off, so I used the calibration tools and it gave me a reading of 20, 60. Sure enough, that worked, as I was able to FC Mississippi Queen on Bass on my first try.

Now, I just gotta remember the current settings because they'll eventually release an update that screws it all up again.

Tym
09-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi guys --

I'm in major need of help here. I just recently moved in with my girlfriend and brought my somewhat older Samsung SlimFit HDTV out of storage to replace her normal non-HDTV.

I just bought Rock Band 2 yesterday and I'm having an AWFUL time getting the calibration set up. Playing on her old TV was a breeze on Expert but now I can barely 3 star the first couple of songs. Runs of chords that should be trivial just from listening to the track are getting screwed up midway when my fingers don't even move. I'm ready to pull my hair out!

I'm not really sure what my tv is as far as CRT or DLP. I'm certain it's not LCD because it's not a flat panel. I don't remember having this issue way back when I played Rock Band 1 & GH 3 on this TV. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

neok182
09-15-2008, 08:10 PM
@Tym: try the different settings i posted and see if one works for ya. there in the rock band 2 manual on page 7 as well.

Tym
09-15-2008, 10:06 PM
@Tym: try the different settings i posted and see if one works for ya. there in the rock band 2 manual on page 7 as well.

Dude, you are the man. This worked perfectly. I could have sworn that I used this combination before but I guess not. Saved me from trashing the damn disc. I was furious all day till I tried this out! Thanks again!!!

neok182
09-15-2008, 11:36 PM
your welcome. i was going crazy for a bit before i found those presets in the book.

now if only all my friends could get HDTVs so i could stop having to switch it everytime i bring my xbox over to someones house lol.

JMills109
09-16-2008, 03:23 AM
My settings for Drums and guitar are way different which completely sucks. They are also different than RB1, which also sucks, so Im still screwing with it.

Edit: So if I've got it pretty close, but I still have to play the notes slightly before they hit the strum indicator, do I need to increase or decrease the number for lag?

Tym
09-16-2008, 02:05 PM
My settings for Drums and guitar are way different which completely sucks. They are also different than RB1, which also sucks, so Im still screwing with it.

Edit: So if I've got it pretty close, but I still have to play the notes slightly before they hit the strum indicator, do I need to increase or decrease the number for lag?

I believe that means you need to positively increase the value for video lag. I'm a complete n00b, so don't hold me to it. It's sad that I teach calculus but I can't figure out my television.

JMills109
09-16-2008, 06:11 PM
I believe that means you need to positively increase the value for video lag. I'm a complete n00b, so don't hold me to it. It's sad that I teach calculus but I can't figure out my television.

I know its a little ridiculous that I couldn't figure it out either, but I ended up doing that, but it only needed to be slightly changed.

In case anyone is wondering/still having problems, the settings I came up with were:

Audio ---- 15ms
Video ---- 70ms

This on a Sony Bravia 52" on guitar if that helps at all. I know the suggested values were way different than the booklet had.

MachineAres
09-17-2008, 03:05 AM
This is ridiculous. I have a 60" DLP TV, and I got the settings to be perfect yesterday at 0, 25. I turn it on to play today, and its off again, and the settings weren't changed. I think my TV or Rock Band itself just decides to run differently every time I boot it up.

Anyone else having this problem?

RevenantSeraph
09-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Oh, music game calibration. How I loathe thee.

A quick tip - positive numbers makes it later. Negative makes it earlier.

Don't use the tool for it (strum/drum when you hear sound, etc). Not more than once anyway, and you should really have your most accurate drummer do it.

Back out, test in Drum Trainer. A halfway decent Expert drummer will be able to tell you it's not quite right yet; go in, manually fix, and repeat. You'll get it right--or at least close--eventually.

If you don't have a drummer, get a decent Expert guitarist to do Eye of the Tiger's long Yellow runs on an LP controller - the strum click will help you sync better if your ears are properly trained for it. This is what I'm doing.

Either way, though, stick with one instrument for the calibration. Don't switch, or your results might be screwy. (Drums and guitar have come up with wildly different numbers for me.)

I wonder why Harmonix didn't give us the calibration options while in-game, like their competition? It is kinda important for fine-tuning. Plus, their tool is wildly inaccurate. I'm on a CRT, but I've got audio lag because of my sound system. I've never gotten the same numbers twice out of ten different runs, and I know I'm not that terrible on the guitar.

@Ares: Yeah, I had that problem this morning too. My sync was perfect last night...and today I fail Master Exploder because it's all kinds of ahead of what I'm hearing. Subpar product...? Maybe.

JMills109
09-18-2008, 01:51 AM
I still can't get the right settings, something is off no matter what I pick and I have absolutely no clue what it is. I used to be able to easily FC a ton of stuff on RB1 and the DLC I had, and Can't come close on any of the same ones with this crap. I've tried everything I can think of, and am about to resign to the fact that it's just worse than before.

DeltaCoMMander8
09-18-2008, 04:28 AM
i have a poloroid 32" lcd tv and diddnt see any sort of lag at all, wonder why it happens at all

Lucent Beam
09-18-2008, 04:10 PM
The calibration based on guitar/drum usage is so messed up.
On guitar, I got 5 ms.
On drums I got 45 ms.
I tried again on drums and got 4.
On drums my boyfriend got -5 ms.
And, aurally, it sounded like we were hitting them right the whole time. So we just set it at 5, and it seems to be calibrated fine now.