PDA

View Full Version : LCD or Plasma?

InkedUp
09-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Hey everyone, just wondering what people usually play on, a Plasma TV or LCD? With a lot of people I know telling me that they won't get a plasma until they have a longer life span, just wanna know the consensus. If you have one, great, if not, what would you rather get?

Da CRU Mughhh
09-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Hey Inked, i have a Plasma and i love gaming on it. i just have to be careful of burn in! i had it for a year now, and never had to white wash it yet! so far so good!

InkedUp
09-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah I remember you telling me once that you had to get offline so you could do a sweep on your TV. Island just got a LCD and I have seen signs of some burn in on his to. So I guess you have to wipe both kinds clean every now and again

Steelhead
09-15-2008, 04:49 PM
I have both. The picture is slightly more crisp on the plasma but it's very minimal. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Just make sure you get one with a high enough refresh rate to eliminate any possibility of screen lag.

Oh, btw, plasma lifespan isn't nearly as much of a problem as it was several years ago when they first started taking off. They've come a long way.

Da CRU Mughhh
09-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah I remember you telling me once that you had to get offline so you could do a sweep on your TV. Island just got a LCD and I have seen signs of some burn in on his to. So I guess you have to wipe both kinds clean every now and again

Really i dont' ever remembering white washing my screen, hell i dont' even know how to do it yet, i would have to look in the manual lol!! maybe i was going to but then read up about it saying you shouldn't do it unless needed! i dunno.. weird.. So Island is already getting burn in on his.. how long has it had it?

InkedUp
09-15-2008, 05:05 PM
You know you might have been drunk at the time. I remember you giving me some tips on Mile High Club when you were hammered lol. I think he has had his for about 6 months, but he has a bad habit of leaving it on for no reason

Taker447
09-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Plasma for me. had it for 3 years now and still no problems and have played games on it for 12+ hours some times and still no burn in. :)

EvilestBean
09-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Id say LCD i play on a 37" HDTV and Ive had no problems the graphics are brilliant :).

P.S I was just wondering im getting a HDTV for my room what would you recommned, LCD or Plasma, I will be using for gaming all the time. ( sorry if its a bit of topic )

onimod13
09-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Depending on the make and model of tv you get either or maybe better.
However DLP is probably the best but not everyone likes the idea of a tv thats a bit bigger than lcd or plasma.

OLED will be the best but is still a while away from becoming a decent size.

Depends on your price range what would be your best option.

InkedUp
09-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah I just recently purchased a 73" Mitsubishi flat panel TV with DLP and I love it. The DLP technology is great

plumbpist
09-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Ive got a 42" LCD, no problems at all, I love it!

Taker447
09-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Yeah I just recently purchased a 73" Mitsubishi flat panel TV with DLP and I love it. The DLP technology is great
73" :|

you lucky, lucky guy. i just wish i had more space for a bigger TV. all i can fit in is 50" of my sexy plasma beast.

neok182
09-15-2008, 07:53 PM
plasma looks better but you take the huge risk of burn in and depending on the company/set that could be a very expensive risk. LCD still looks great and no risks really except for dead pixels and that dosen't happen too oftin anymore

Adam Miller
09-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Lucader >> Plasma

EvilestBean
09-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Im gonna go with a LCD for my room :).

kiwi18
09-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Refer to this

HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46452)

HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46466)

Superfro33
09-15-2008, 08:46 PM
I do all my gaming on a 50" Plasma and have no issues. I'm very mindful about static images though, and limit my time if the game is a potential problem.

laundryman
09-15-2008, 09:32 PM
I prefer LCD. Mine is a 19' LCD and I love it.

v_thorne
09-15-2008, 09:56 PM
LCD. They have a longer life span, and they don't have the problem that most Plasma's do, which is image trailing.

Randomnutta
09-15-2008, 09:56 PM
I have a plasma and I reckon there tops except the fact that one day the ink will burn out

onimod13
09-15-2008, 11:15 PM
It all comes down to peoples perception of what is better.

There are many people on here who stand by the fact they have dlp plasma lcd and say its better but thats there opinion.

However as i work for one of the biggest digital media suppliers in the world i can safely say that my opinion is that a decent priced DLP can outperform near any plasma and most lcd however it can very much depend on how much you pay the manufacturer the model.

There are mainly only 3 major suppliers of televisions in the world and most of the other companys buy their technology and rebrand and add more functions to them.

LG are the biggest and probably the most advanced of any out there.
OLED will be the format to watch for over the next few years.

I also like to point out i work for one of the biggest digital media suppliers in the world and tv technology was one of my previous duties.

HaZard2K8
09-16-2008, 12:20 AM
If you get a good LCD with a good response time and a good contrast ratio (basically any Samsung, Sony, or Sharp LCD) then LCD is the best choice.

Otherwise Plasma is the best, especially if you go towards those cheaper brands for LCD.

Deadly Moves
09-16-2008, 12:41 AM
LCD...
No burn
Longer life span
Looks just as good.

OLED tv's are way too expensive at the mo. in another 5-10 years maybe...

o0 TommyGuns 0o
09-16-2008, 02:36 AM
for gaming forsure LCD

MessiahSlayer
09-16-2008, 02:48 AM
I delivered tv's for a high end retail television store for about 4 years here in Michigan and a majority of the tvs we sold were LCD's. Some plasmas are nice if you are willing to spend the money on it but other than tha LCD's do the job just fine. I have a 40 inch sony that i play on all the times and haven't had any problems. Also the problem with the plasmas like someone already said has pretty much been takin care of.

scoobydiesel
09-16-2008, 10:18 AM
i love my LCD :D samsung is sexy

sinista12
09-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I have a 52" sony bravia LCD in the living room had it about yr now. It's wonderful!!
I got a 32" sharp LCD in the bedroom. I've had it 2 or 3 yrs now. I haven't had a problem out of either one. LCD are good if you have sunlight comming in the room. Plasma is good for a dark room. As far as which looks better it depends on what kind of money you put into it. Invest in a good LCD and it will be worth it!

Dodgekfc
09-24-2008, 08:45 PM
i would have to say lcd i was playing on a 32 inch lcd now i play
on a projector its way cool

IMAMEX
09-24-2008, 09:27 PM
I got LCD 32 HDTV and aside from the dead pixel that came with it from shipping it to me, it's cool as hell. I really need to get that replaced though.

Pezdspencer
09-24-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm not even gonna mention the fact I have only tube TVs in my house. Sucks being broke as hell. The only LCDs in my house are the 2 computer monitors, and I can't use my 360 on either, seeing how the VGA cables don't plug into the monitor, they're internal cords.

09-24-2008, 11:36 PM
LCD hands down. I've had my LCD for over a year and I wouldn't buy anything else from now on.

Tuber Man 4
10-02-2008, 01:37 AM
lcd all the way

onemorechanc
10-02-2008, 06:33 PM
I have a rear-projection LCOS (Liquid Crystal On Silicon) by Sony, and I wouldn't trade it for either LCD or Plasma. The picture on it is great.

FSK BigHurt
10-02-2008, 07:48 PM
I prefer LCD for gaming and watching tv, and plasma for watching movies. I currenty do my next-gen gaming on a 37" Toshiba 1080p 24fps LCD. <3 Toshiba <3

Jae Brav
10-02-2008, 08:03 PM
I have a plasma.

I was in the store not too long ago and was reading a box for a plasma and it said that the expected life for that specific plasma was 27 years based on 6 hours of use a day.

Now, if a damn off brand can offer that kind of reliability and let alone make the claim then I should be pretty damn covered.

But then again with my luck I''d have paid for a brand name and not quality and my tv takes a shit.

I had a ProView (somewhat off-brand) 22" widescreen lcd monitor and it just stopped working in less than a year. But funny thing is that it worked fine until the store warranty ran out, and the manufacturer wants money to fix it.

So one day if you are at low tide somewhere in the world and something cuts your foot and you find it to be a ProView 22" widescreen lcd, well, it's mine and you can have the bitch.

AntiMacro
10-02-2008, 10:19 PM
I have a plasma.

I was in the store not too long ago and was reading a box for a plasma and it said that the expected life for that specific plasma was 27 years based on 6 hours of use a day.

Now, if a damn off brand can offer that kind of reliability and let alone make the claim then I should be pretty damn covered.

But then again with my luck I''d have paid for a brand name and not quality and my tv takes a shit.

I had a ProView (somewhat off-brand) 22" widescreen lcd monitor and it just stopped working in less than a year. But funny thing is that it worked fine until the store warranty ran out, and the manufacturer wants money to fix it.

So one day if you are at low tide somewhere in the world and something cuts your food and you find it to be a ProView 22" widescreen lcd, well, it's mine and you can have the bitch.

They don't guarantee it for that long, just say it could maybe last that long - that's the key point :P

Either type can look great, though plasma generally have better black levels. I think manufacturers are moving away from plasma to LCD though, since LCD quality has climbed drastically and it's a cheaper solution.

edit - I have a SXRD in my gaming/movie room, a plasma for the living room, and an LCD on the wall in the bedroom. I think I'm qualified to say it really doesn't much matter in the end :D