PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the Achievement 'rules' offhand?

AntiMacro
09-16-2008, 08:20 AM
I was kind of wondering what the 'rules' for Achievements are these days - what guidelines developers have to follow in the making of their list.

It's 1,000 gamerscore per retail game, with 50 Achievements max - though they've made an exception in the past on that second part. 200 gamerscore for XBLA, but I don't know the Achievement max on those titles.

What else is required? Do they have to have Achievements for beating levels, or is that just something they tend to do because they're lazy?

Anyone have a link to the guidelines, or somewhere that has more explanation of them?

Ryot Control
09-16-2008, 08:32 AM
I was kind of wondering what the 'rules' for Achievements are these days - what guidelines developers have to follow in the making of their list.

It's 1,000 gamerscore per retail game, with 50 Achievements max - though they've made an exception in the past on that second part. 200 gamerscore for XBLA, but I don't know the Achievement max on those titles.

What else is required? Do they have to have Achievements for beating levels, or is that just something they tend to do because they're lazy?

Anyone have a link to the guidelines, or somewhere that has more explanation of them?

Achievements can be whatever the developers want, depending on their creativity (or lack thereof.) So what the achievements are will differ depending on the mood of the developer.

But guidelines limit retail games at 1000, and arcade games at 200. Expansions and DLC can boost existing retail games up to 250 and arcade games by 50.

Achievement count limits are set to a total of 99 achievements for retail games (see The Orange Box) and a standard of 12 achievements for arcade games, but can add 2 more for a total of 14 achievements for arcade games possible.

exo-apollo
09-16-2008, 08:57 AM
I don't like it when people call a developer 'lazy' because of their achievements. What making an excellent game isn't enough? Other than that there should be a rule against multiplayer achievements.

Ryot Control
09-16-2008, 09:59 AM
When people pay retail price for a game, they can have an opinion on it. And in my opinion, the achievements aspects should also show some thoughtfulness as it is also part of the game.

If developers really did think about how people react to achivement lists, then there would be no complaint as to what types are out there, such as single player or multiplayer; collection types or grinding types because it would all be within reasonable reach to at the very least, the gamerscore whore who really want them. (i.e. us.)

scoobydiesel
09-16-2008, 10:09 AM
I think some games should have more points because i enjoy them more and would like to keep earning points as i keep playing :D

Andrew x360a
09-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Achievement count limits are set to a total of 99 achievements for retail games (see The Orange Box) and a standard of 12 achievements for arcade games, but can add 2 more for a total of 14 achievements for arcade games possible.

They can actually add three more, for a total of fifteen for arcade games.

Tenacious
09-16-2008, 11:59 AM
The Orange Box is getting a 26 achievement (not sure on the exact number) expansion pack pretty soon.

vI Starlight Iv
09-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Fifteen max for an arcade game

and

99 max for a retail title

rumour has it that these rules will be bent to allow halo to have 1750 on halo 3

laundryman
09-16-2008, 09:23 PM
The only rules they have to follow is no more than 99 Achievements and no more than 1000 points and 250 DLC.

Other than that, they can be anything the devs want.

roy1751
09-17-2008, 07:04 AM
I'm equally as interested in this doc as you are, but I doubt we'll source this doc. It is most likely secret and under NDA protection by the developers allowed to see it.

Whatever the guidelines say, Microsoft needs to limit how long it takes to obtain some of these ridiculous achievements coming out.

Ryot Control
09-17-2008, 07:20 AM
They can actually add three more, for a total of fifteen for arcade games.

I guess I stand corrected, but which games have 15 achievements?

The Orange Box is getting a 26 achievement (not sure on the exact number) expansion pack pretty soon.

Do you have a source for this? Can you link it please? If there is, I'm surprised I missed it.

Andrew x360a
09-17-2008, 12:33 PM
I guess I stand corrected, but which games have 15 achievements?

I don't have a full list in front of me, but ones that I know off the top of my head it would include Band of Bugs, Puzzle Quest, and Marathon: Durandal.

Ashz0r
09-17-2008, 01:35 PM

Yes but these aren't acheivements that will go on your gamercard/gamerscore they are ingame acheivements only for the ingame acheivement tracking system.

It's the same medic expansion they braught out on the PC a while ago with the medic acheivements.. but it has been confirmed they will not be on the gamertag or gamescore.. just ingame only.