PDA

View Full Version : Continue Game or New Game?

Big Papa 07
09-17-2008, 03:35 AM
I've been looking but I haven't found a solid answer to my question, so...

I just beat the game for the first time. I choose continue and it loads up the first stage again, but on the same difficulty I just beat the game on. Am I able to change the difficulty to Sith Master from the options, and just restart the mission from level select and play through to get the achievement for that difficulty, or do I have to choose New Game and play through like that?

Basically, if I choose new game, and it states it will overwrite my previous saved game, does that mean I will lose all my powers/data, or will I still retain all that, just on a different difficulty setting?

Thanks.

Nerdlife
09-17-2008, 03:46 AM
Thank god you asked this. Beat the game this morning and was wondering the same thing. Had to make an account just to ask. If you choose continue it goes right back to the same difficulty like you said. Switching it will prob screw it up. Ill be here waiting for a response also..

MattL27398
09-17-2008, 03:52 AM
I'm in the same boat my friend. I'll be watching this thread as well.

Brkenintntionz
09-17-2008, 04:06 AM
I am still trying to finish the game but I too would like to know.

seto
09-17-2008, 04:15 AM
What I did was, play the last stage and choose the next difficulty you want to beat it on, once you beat the last stage, you go to continue and you'll start all over again, this time you'll be on the difficulty you want to pass it on without changing, or startin a new file.

Nerdlife
09-17-2008, 04:15 AM
good to see others wondering. I'm not touching the game until we know whats up. Dont really wanna run through it again for nothing. Cya later

ThePumpkinKing
09-17-2008, 05:12 AM
I think I'm just gonna go ahead and try the Mass Effect trick: switching the difficulty at the last minute of a play. Then play through the game on Master. Hopefully it won't take too long. So hopefully I'll have an answer by tommorrow night at this time.

Stay tuned.

Bravo
09-17-2008, 05:22 AM
A "new game" will start from scratch

seto
09-17-2008, 05:40 AM
I've been looking but I haven't found a solid answer to my question, so...

I just beat the game for the first time. I choose continue and it loads up the first stage again, but on the same difficulty I just beat the game on. Am I able to change the difficulty to Sith Master from the options, and just restart the mission from level select and play through to get the achievement for that difficulty, or do I have to choose New Game and play through like that?

Basically, if I choose new game, and it states it will overwrite my previous saved game, does that mean I will lose all my powers/data, or will I still retain all that, just on a different difficulty setting?

Thanks.

I did what you said and I did not get the achievement, the thing is you can select any mission you want but there's one mission your missing which is the proluge if you don't play the prolgue you haven't played all the missions.
I think I'm just gonna go ahead and try the Mass Effect trick: switching the difficulty at the last minute of a play. Then play through the game on Master. Hopefully it won't take too long. So hopefully I'll have an answer by tommorrow night at this time.

Stay tuned.

Tried it and didn't work, looks like you have to start all over again. Hope this isn't the case but I haven't been able to find an answer.

Big Papa 07
09-17-2008, 06:24 AM
That is going to piss me off if its the case. I mean, I'm an achievement whore for sure, but I just want to play with all my unlocked abilities... not start again. If thats the case, I'll be trading this game in A.S.A.P.

Oh, and thanks for the input man, even if it was bad news, lol.

Slaign
09-17-2008, 07:04 AM
It's no reason to trade the game in, it's still a sweet game, but it does suck. You don't have to overwrite your save to start a new game. Select New Game, it takes you to a list, if you've beat the game once and started back at the TIE factory, it should just say TIE Factory 9:30:12 or however long it took you to beat it. Just drop down to an empty slot and start again.

That said, getting the Sith Master achievement starting with a base character is going to be very, very difficult I think, at least for me.

hacksquat
09-17-2008, 07:18 AM
Slaign - So you cant start a new game on a Sith Master and have your skills carry over?

Slaign
09-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Slaign - So you cant start a new game on a Sith Master and have your skills carry over?

Doesn't seem like it. When I created a new game I didn't have any of my force upgrades or combos, all the holocrons were marked as not found, and as such I had no lightsaber crystals or even costumes. It's really dumb, and I hope it's unintentional and they push an update to fix it, but if there's a way to play through for the achievement on Master with your leveled character, I don't know of it.

Note, I didn't go through and try to beat it on Master with my same save to see if I could get the achievement, and the above person is the only person I've seen confirm or deny this one way or another. With the game having barely been out for a day I'm not 100% sure of the accuracy of that claim.

Siegfried
09-17-2008, 07:31 AM
I just started today on Sith Master (new game, not using any tricks) and just finished the second level (actually third if you count the prologue). All I can say is this: it's not as hard as you all think. If you already finished the game the first time on Sith Lord like I did, you pretty much know already how to play and how to defeat the bosses. Using a holocron guide to get everything on the levels + the higher difficult will level you up in no time. Really, I'm finding it more fun to play now then the first time around. I don't think this game calls for tricks to make it easier to get 1000 (ok, using vader to hack kills doesn't count :p). It's pretty short and really fun to play, specially the second time when you already know how everything works and can really unleash the force on the enemies ;)

By the end of the second level I had force push maxed, force grip with 2 points, force lightning with 2 points and the 4 stats that increase life and force recovery and max amount with 2 points each. So, as I said, you'll quickly have your powers back on the highest difficult :)

Rewmac
09-17-2008, 02:45 PM
So you can't beat the game on harder difficulities with all you powers...Sucks. But what if I cahnge the difficulity for the last level to Sith Lord then it'll start that level, finish it then then it'll let me play through from one mission to another on Sith Lord. and for the prologue I just beat it on a new game save wouldn't that count.

Foxhound300
09-17-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm surprised so many people (especially those who play ninja gaiden) are pissed about this

AVENGER305
09-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah i dont see what the big deal is. just star over.

Rewmac
09-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah i dont see what the big deal is. just star over. The problem is in this case there is really no point of the upgrades...Especially Force or Life upgrades, LvL2 is more than enough then.

Rewmac
09-17-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm surprised so many people (especially those who play ninja gaiden) are pissed about this Yep so? I sick and tired of that too. Everything should stack that's why I'm not going to complete Gaiden on Menthor and Master Ninja...I hate when you upgrades don't stack and you have to beat the game only for the achievement and coz of the fun of it. Non-stacking upgrades ruin a game which is based on upgrades.

Sge77i
09-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Well good, now I can knock the difficulty down to apprentice on my old save to find all the crap.

Foxhound300
09-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Yep so? I sick and tired of that too. Everything should stack that's why I'm not going to complete Gaiden on Menthor and Master Ninja...I hate when you upgrades don't stack and you have to beat the game only for the achievement and coz of the fun of it. Non-stacking upgrades ruin a game which is based on upgrades.

that's because it makes it too easy. That's half the reason why it's so easy to beat DMC4: everything carries over.

Rewmac
09-17-2008, 05:08 PM
that's because it makes it too easy. That's half the reason why it's so easy to beat DMC4: everything carries over. I'd like to see where do you think DMC 4 on DMD is easy if you go for getting S ranks but nevermind. Who the hell enjoins playing on like incredibly hard mode. Gaiden is a nother story. But just one question, do you enjoy dying every 20-45 seconds? I know I know, now comes the tough talk "I don't die, I simple do this and this" This is what most people do. I doubt other than Hardcore gamers anybody like to torture themselves...It's stupid that you at least can't carry over the holocorns.

vorbag
09-17-2008, 06:24 PM
What I want to know is if the kills towards achivments carry over the diff saved files, even if your one the same account. For example if i get 250 Lighting kills on one save file and then start another one and get 250 Lighting kills will i get the achivement for 500 lighting kills?

Otherwise I gotta play through the game on the same diff, just to get the diff kills achivements, which is kinda boring...

ThePumpkinKing
09-17-2008, 06:35 PM
What I want to know is if the kills towards achivments carry over the diff saved files, even if your one the same account. For example if i get 250 Lighting kills on one save file and then start another one and get 250 Lighting kills will i get the achivement for 500 lighting kills?

Otherwise I gotta play through the game on the same diff, just to get the diff kills achivements, which is kinda boring...

They don't stack like that. Same save file only. Just replay the tie factory. There are plenty of disposable enemies to rack up kills with.

Aara123
09-17-2008, 09:57 PM
You have to start a new game. They probably did this so Sith Master isn't piss easy as you would have all the force powers. But if you switch difficulties even once, you will not get the achievement.

Chuppernicus
09-18-2008, 02:22 AM
Hmmm. I for one welcome the challenge of starting over. I like a challenge, it's more rewarding.

KingGotenW
09-18-2008, 02:35 AM
When i start over, probably tomorrow, i will play the 1st level a few times just to get a few free points to cash in on w/e i want. That's the same thing i did on sith lord and i am owning these people!

Get all the kill x enemies achievements BEFORE going for sith master... I'm making my sith master game a "do how i like it and screw the achievements cuz i already have them all, so i can play however i like" kind of game. I don't wanna be focused on using powers that i don't enjoy using. I wanna be able to kill anyone anyway that gets the job done.

Denny Crane
09-18-2008, 04:05 AM
Hmmm. I for one welcome the challenge of starting over. I like a challenge, it's more rewarding.
really? how rewarding can a video game be? i mean im sure its rewarding for you... but whats the cap? the reward of beating a video game one difficulty rung higher cant be worth your time and effort?
and basically to sum up: nothing carries, you have to restart a new game to play a diff difficulty, and you can only stack kills on one save. lovley.

Sion Barzahd
09-18-2008, 05:03 AM
I'm doing what KingGotenW is doing, and seriously just stop whining and play it. If you want your achievement, that's what you have to do so do it. All enemies have a weakness that's all you need.

JEDI JAWA
09-18-2008, 04:11 PM
achievements are supposed to challenging and somewhat time consuming. quit whining and have fun. beat it on sith master just for bragging rights and hey look at that, you got an achievement for your trouble.

madcap1
09-18-2008, 05:12 PM
achievements are supposed to challenging and somewhat time consuming. quit whining and have fun. beat it on sith master just for bragging rights and hey look at that, you got an achievement for your trouble.

I agree with what you have said. Most gamers are spoiled these days remember old school games like Ghost and Goblins, Star Castle, Donkey Kong and Pac-man all these games had no check points and saves and they where hard as hell but if you got your name up there on the high score list it was god like lol. I agree some achievements are totally stupid on some games but if there just that much of a pain I just wont do them I will just move on to another game. thats just my opinion anyway.

shinobigarth
09-18-2008, 07:38 PM
The problem is in this case there is really no point of the upgrades...Especially Force or Life upgrades, LvL2 is more than enough then.
yeah thats what im thinking. if you spend all that time and effort to beef up your skills and shit, why the hell should you not be able to use them in a second play through, especially on something as hard as Master.

DarkHitman 47
09-18-2008, 07:57 PM
i agree i enjoyed the first playthrough im not gonna frustrate my self by upgrading collecting again 700gs for me

Big Papa 07
09-19-2008, 12:03 AM
There are a few reasons I dislike not being able to use my character in a new game...

First of all, as has already been pointed out, I cant help but wonder why they make you spend time getting stronger and learning new moves/powers, just to have you start from scratch again... its semi-retarded.

And secondly, I, like many others, need achievements. I start to shake and convulse if I don't get my achievement fix. Using my same character on Sith Master would be... not "easy" per se, but certainly easier and less time consuming than starting all over, i.e. I get my achievement points faster (which is a good thing) while still being able to have an awesome time using all the powers I already unlocked.

I'm just saying that I should be given the option to use my strong character, rather than forcing me to use my weak one... but I've gotten over the initial shock, and still haven't decided if its worth my time, or if I should just go get another game to play... Its still a good game though, no doubt there.

notdryad
09-19-2008, 02:11 AM
That's half the reason why it's so easy to beat DMC4: everything carries over.Yeah, congrats, you beat DMC4. The point of Devil May Cry has never been just beating the game; it's been about S Ranking the game, which you didn't do.

Well, it's a little disappointing that you have to start out fresh since I had really loved the Jedi Knight outfit with a black lightsaber and ultimately far more time consuming because I'll have to spend even more time leveling up my character, but, I'm sure I'll be fine. I don't think it could be much harder than NG2 on MN was.

Devil Sora
09-19-2008, 02:22 AM
When i start over, probably tomorrow, i will play the 1st level a few times just to get a few free points to cash in on w/e i want. That's the same thing i did on sith lord and i am owning these people!

Get all the kill x enemies achievements BEFORE going for sith master... I'm making my sith master game a "do how i like it and screw the achievements cuz i already have them all, so i can play however i like" kind of game. I don't wanna be focused on using powers that i don't enjoy using. I wanna be able to kill anyone anyway that gets the job done.

ya basiclly I like his stradegy the most. . . .I figure apprentice will allow me to get whatever I need and then I'll be able to focus on playing the game instead of "Ok. . . I have to force repulse 500 guys. . . fun." The one acheivment I'll work on is probablly the juggle one you know the combo

X, X, X (hold) B , X, X

the enemies die way to fast. . . .so I want them to toughen up before I try doing that one one slash death is realistic. . . .but not satisfying

In the end, Bring on Sith Master

oneANGELofDECAY
09-19-2008, 02:23 AM
If your gonna stack the achs then u have to do it on SIth Master which is a pain in the ass kinda, but hey its a good game! So just take your time with it

PureEgo03
09-19-2008, 03:16 AM
I'm surprised so many people (especially those who play ninja gaiden) are pissed about this

I was pretty pissed about it on Ninja Gaiden too

Yep so? I sick and tired of that too. Everything should stack that's why I'm not going to complete Gaiden on Menthor and Master Ninja...I hate when you upgrades don't stack and you have to beat the game only for the achievement and coz of the fun of it. Non-stacking upgrades ruin a game which is based on upgrades.

Damn straight, that killed my drive to keep playing Ninja Gaiden after I found out I'd pretty much wasted my time doing all of the trials and upgrading all of my weapons.

I might still play through TFU even with this annoyance, dunno. I'm thinking that you might able to just change the difficulty in the options, because each achievement says "don't change the difficulty" just like it did in Mass Effect, and just like in ME, you had to change it in the prologue and leave it that way the whole game to get it.

ThePumpkinKing
09-19-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm just saying that I should be given the option to use my strong character, rather than forcing me to use my weak one... but I've gotten over the initial shock, and still haven't decided if its worth my time, or if I should just go get another game to play... Its still a good game though, no doubt there.

Call me crazy... But that completely defeats the point of the achievement.

I'm thinking that you might able to just change the difficulty in the options, because each achievement says "don't change the difficulty" just like it did in Mass Effect, and just like in ME, you had to change it in the prologue and leave it that way the whole game to get it.

You can't. You MUST start a new save file to unlock the Sith Master achievement. I can confirm this. Check my gamercard. I have the Sith Master achievement. But before I earned it, I tried this very method and made a run through Sith Master on the same save file I beat the game on Sith Lord with. Blazed through it in about 4 hours. But you get nothing for your time. Reason? No prologue on Sith Master = No achievement.

Sorry to say folks. But there's only one way to unlock the Sith Master achievement.

sk0m
09-19-2008, 01:42 PM
It might be fair if they scaled the enemies levels according to your level like mass effect. That would have allowed you to keep your upgrades and stuff.

Of course Sith Master all enemies would be stronger than you, but at least you can utilize all your powers and your talents would help you get through with increased health and force bar.

stevedb79
09-19-2008, 04:19 PM
glad someone asked it cause i wanted to know but am kinda dis-hearted by the reponce....wouldnt mind to much bout the powers but the kills thing sucks arse....means i gotta play over and over again on the same level....starts to make the game bit boring!

Clone
09-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Do the enemy kill achievements stack between save files? So if I already killed 300 dudes with lightning, will I only have to kill 200 more in the new save game?