PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet connection question

billabong1484
09-17-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm in an apartment building with no wireless internet and they don't allow routers. They only have 1 internet connection in the room. I'm wondering if there is anything I can buy that will let me use my laptop and xbox live at the same time, kind of like a splitter. It gets so annoying switching the ethernet cord every time I want to play online, then losing internet on my laptop :confused: :confused: :confused:

RFT 123
09-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Wait a minute, they don't allow routers? Why? Just use one, and don't get caught. lol.

Seriously, buy an Ethernet Switch. Stick an ethernet cable in it, then stick 2 in it, and it splits the connection.

Ashz0r
09-17-2008, 09:18 PM
If not connect your x360 off your laptop with a crossover cable...

Or

Get a switch.. they never said you can't have a switch ^^

Disc07
09-17-2008, 11:42 PM
1) If you have any sort of wireless signal, just use that for your laptop, and keep the ethernet for your 360.

2) If your laptop is fancy enough to have 2 ethernet ports you can plug the 360 to one, and your internet connection to the other, and then you can bridge the two connections.

3) Or you can always make one of these:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-your-own-Ethernet-%22splitter%22/

Ashz0r
09-18-2008, 01:03 AM
2) If your laptop is fancy enough to have 2 ethernet ports you can plug the 360 to one, and your internet connection to the other, and then you can bridge the two connections.
Yes with a crossover cable like I mentioned above.

3) Or you can always make one of these:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-your-own-Ethernet-%22splitter%22/

He might as well buy a cheap switch.. it would be cheaper then buying the crimping tools required to create the splitter lol..

Im going to say your best option is a switch.. because your in an apartment building im going to take a guess that you share your internet with everyone else in the building.. the land lord has probably got a network set up for the residents and doesn't want anyone attaching routers to the network incase it conflicts with the master settings on his router (this happens alot with newer routers they fight for whos master unless you can set them to slave).

Where as with a switch it has very limited software and control and is basicaly the same as using a splitter cable and you can pick them up for less then 10.

billabong1484
09-19-2008, 07:34 PM
With the switch, can I be connected to the internet on Xbox and my laptop at the same time?

Ashz0r
09-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Yes, its basicaly a very simple router.

kantizuni
09-19-2008, 08:35 PM
or buy a router and tell him to go screw himself.

Ashz0r
09-19-2008, 09:54 PM
or buy a router and tell him to go screw himself.

Like I said above there is probably a good reason.. and telling him to go screw him self is just going to grant him no interent access.. lol

billabong1484
09-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Cool thanks for the help.