PDA

View Full Version : Peter Moore: MS Considered Buying Nintendo

Weapon 117
09-18-2008, 10:45 AM
In the second part (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2008/sep/11/playstation.microsoft) of an interview with The Guardian, Peter Moore has revealed that Microsoft considered buying Nintendo. In a response to a question that asked Moore about his relationship with Steve Ballmer, the former Corporate Vice-President of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business unit said:

He wanted my attitude, he didn't care what I'd achieved at Sega, he wanted to know how I was going to win for Microsoft, how we were going to take on Sony, how would we compete with – or acquire – Nintendo. Those were the conversations in those days. It was a classic build or buy conversation. Xbox had launched but it was an aggressive black box for shooters, and how do we evolve that, how do we build the next Xbox, how do we get after Sony? Interestingly, we were just completely fixated on Sony – Nintendo didn't even come into the conversation. But Steve was very compelling, particularly when you're one-on-one with him in his office – we talked about what we'd done to compete with Sony, where I felt their weaknesses were. But the bigger picture for Steve was, we need to get into the world of consumer entertainment. There's a role for Microsoft to play, we truly believe in Xbox as being something that can… there was a little bit of a concern with Sony – we wanted to keep them out of the living room, from a software and services perspective. And then I started work at Microsoft on February 1 2003.

Source: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/17598/Peter-Moore-MS-Considered-Buying-Nintendo/

vI Starlight Iv
09-18-2008, 12:12 PM
It seems that Microsofts ambition is immense to even consider taking over Nintendo, there strategy is clear be Number 1

Deadly Moves
09-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Thats old news i heard that ages ago...
But it was never gonna happen..
For a start Nintendo arnt the type of company that would sell out..
2nd Nintendo already make shed loads of profit, even in the gamecube days, there were turning a good profit.
3rd Nintendo like to do things there own way and wouldnt want to be under the influence of MS.

Yann
09-18-2008, 12:47 PM
This seems to be as far fetched as Google trying to buy Valve yesterday. Nintendo would never allow itself to be over taken by an American company anyway, especially not MS.

InkedUp
09-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Nintendo has been around a long time, and I don't expect they would have allowed MS to buy them out. Maybe a hostile takeover lol

Ashz0r
09-18-2008, 01:23 PM
I feel this is so unlikely.. I will eat my hat and put it on Youtube for you all if this ever happens.. lol

Kolin32k
09-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I can see it now, If Microsoft got Nintendo Gates would say 'Next stop, World Domination.'

Kamaro
09-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Go Microsoft! I want Goldeneye!

I think this will never happen....

alexsimms
09-18-2008, 01:50 PM
It seems that Microsofts ambition is immense to even consider taking over Nintendo, there strategy is clear be Number 1

Well why would they have a strategy to be number 2?

Shadow Fba
09-18-2008, 01:53 PM
If anything. I could see Sony, and Nintendo Merge before Ms and Nintendo.

Zee
09-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Thats old news i heard that ages ago...
But it was never gonna happen..
For a start Nintendo arnt the type of company that would sell out..
2nd Nintendo already make shed loads of profit, even in the gamecube days, there were turning a good profit.
3rd Nintendo like to do things there own way and wouldnt want to be under the influence of MS.

All those don't matter if Microsoft bought them out. Microsoft could just buy 51% of there stocks. Like EA tried to do with Take2. Microsoft has the big bucks and could have easily bought Nintendo, but since they were weak in the home market then it wouldn't have been smart. (since they were going for the home market not handhelds) .

Asian47
09-18-2008, 04:11 PM
I was reading about this on GameSpot, found it to be pretty intresting. As much as I love my 360, I just can't imagine Mario ever coming over.

Deadly Moves
09-18-2008, 05:23 PM
All those don't matter if Microsoft bought them out. Microsoft could just buy 51% of there stocks. Like EA tried to do with Take2. Microsoft has the big bucks and could have easily bought Nintendo, but since they were weak in the home market then it wouldn't have been smart. (since they were going for the home market not handhelds) .
Trust me.. Nintendo would never let that happen...
Andhe fair trade office wouldnt allow it.. Bcos MS would be trying to corner the market..
Like when GAME/EB Games tried to buy Gamestation..

narcolepticshee
09-18-2008, 05:27 PM
I feel this is so unlikely.. I will eat my hat and put it on Youtube for you all if this ever happens.. lol

I'm gonna hold you to that Ashz0r ;) haha

Peace

Ben Sharpe
09-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Andhe fair trade office wouldnt allow it.. Bcos MS would be trying to corner the market..

Game has bought game station iirc they are still branded as different stores but are the same company

Pheonix_Assassin
09-18-2008, 05:32 PM
OMG imagine halo on the wii lol and Mario on 360 but nah nitendo woulndt have accpeted im sure they are earning more money than microsoft

ITS OVER 9000
09-18-2008, 06:10 PM
it would be interesting then the next smash bros game would have master chief and marcus fenix and.....shit.

Drewdude1023
09-18-2008, 09:03 PM
I'd like to have Super Mario Bros on XBLA

Zee
09-18-2008, 10:49 PM

How? Microsoft was just in the door when they were thinking about buying Nintendo. Sony was still there. Besides, seeing as how theirs 3rd parties devloping for the consoles, theirs no way it would be considered a monopoly. Nintendo wouldn't have be able to do much then.

Yann
09-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Well why would they have a strategy to be number 2?

What? Microsoft and Sony are fighting for 2nd place right now in the console wars? They've already admitted that Nintendo are #1 this generation by a mile.