PDA

View Full Version : Networking Problems.

Yann
09-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Alright i'm moving to Uni tomorrow and I need some networking help.

My general problem is that I want to connect my laptop and my 360 to the internet at the same time. Firstly my laptop will be connected to the wall socket via an RJ11 cable, then my 360 will be connected to my laptop by an Ethernet cable. My problem is that my 360 will not connect to my laptop via the ethernet cable (When I try and set it up it cannot confirm the IP but recognises it's wired.)

Since i'm not at uni yet i've been trying to get the networking sorted for tomorrow i'm just testing it out with my laptop which is connected to the internet wirelessly.

Represented in some graph form the network would be this:
Internet ----> Laptop ------> 360

Can anyone help with my predicament?

(Also sorry if this has been answered and there is an FAQ up, I used the search function and only found several router FAQs and NAT problems etc.)

Ashz0r
09-20-2008, 06:58 PM
The cable between your laptop and your x360a is a crossover cable right?

Yann
09-20-2008, 07:11 PM
The cable between your laptop and your x360a is a crossover cable right?

I saw that you mentioned that in another thread, but i'm not sure what a crossover cable is. Although the cable does have on it 'X-Over' so I assume it's legit.

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr246/Yanners_photo/Picture0001.jpg

Ashz0r
09-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Difference between a crossover cable and a normal cable is the formation of the wires inside on each end...

The crossover cable sends data differntly.

If you plug everything into a router/switch for example that automaticaly converts the signal so doesn't require any special cable.. but if your plugging two devices together the signal needs to be altered so one can understand the other.

Off the top of my head I think crossover cables for a CAT 5 are:

One side
Orange/White
Orange
Green/White (Teal/White)
Blue
Blue/White
Green (Teal)
Brown/White
Brown

The other side
Green/White (Teal/White)
Green (Teal)
Orange/White
Brown/White
Brown
Orange
Blue
Blue/White

Haven't made on in a while but I think thats about right..

Check the order on your cable see if its similar.

Yann
09-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Difference between a crossover cable and a normal cable is the formation of the wires inside on each end...

The crossover cable sends data differntly.

If you plug everything into a router/switch for example that automaticaly converts the signal so doesn't require any special cable.. but if your plugging two devices together the signal needs to be altered so one can understand the other.

Off the top of my head I think crossover cables for a CAT 5 are:

One side
Orange/White
Orange
Green/White (Teal/White)
Blue
Blue/White
Green (Teal)
Brown/White
Brown

The other side
Green/White (Teal/White)
Green (Teal)
Orange/White
Brown/White
Brown
Orange
Blue
Blue/White

Haven't made on in a while but I think thats about right..

Check the order on your cable see if its similar.

Yeah it is, so the problem isnt my cable or since it's sending data differently it wont send the information through to my laptop? Any further ideas?

Ashz0r
09-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Doesn't usually make any difference.. but try turning the cable around..so you plug a different end in to another the network port on the x360 might only be designed to accept one sort of layout to send the signal on (I doubt it though but its a possability).. also if you have a printer or scanner or something with a network port try networking it with your laptop to see if the crossover cable is working 100%

Yann
09-20-2008, 08:56 PM
I tried switching the cable around but it still fails on the IP stage. I dont think it's the cables fault since the 360 recognises the cable is present on both occasions when I switch it round. Would it be my internet settings preventing it from getting the information?

Ashz0r
09-21-2008, 02:30 AM
Check the gateway settings on your x360a's network settings.. the gateway settings might still be set up to a previous router you have had it connected to? You might need to change them to say that the laptop is the gateway.

Yann
09-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Ok I managed to get it sorted of sorted but it keeps giving me an MTU timeout after it gets past the IP phase, any help?

DarkPyroGuy_09
09-23-2008, 02:24 AM
Go to Network connections - then right click on your wireless icon and click properties. Click advanced and then check the box were it says "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection." and make sure that the checked box below it is checked also. Click OK.

Your NAT might come up strict or moderate since you are connecting through a laptop. If so disable your firewall if your comfortable with it cause it might be blocking your 360 from an Open NAT.

Thats about all I can tell you.

Yann
09-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Go to Network connections - then right click on your wireless icon and click properties. Click advanced and then check the box were it says "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection." and make sure that the checked box below it is checked also. Click OK.

Your NAT might come up strict or moderate since you are connecting through a laptop. If so disable your firewall if your comfortable with it cause it might be blocking your 360 from an Open NAT.

Thats about all I can tell you.

Yeah i've done that, but my MTU is failing now. Any help?