PDA

View Full Version : Disc drive not wanting to open?

SevDelta
09-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but for some reason, all of a sudden, my disc drive is quite hard to open. I can open it and close it just fine with the controller but manually pressing the button is tougher than usual. It takes quite a bit of force when pressing the button to open or close it.

Now, I've read that it could be a sticky substance like food that gets in there but I'm quite a clean person (the seams of my controller are white if that gives you a clue) so I don't think that's an issue. Any fix for this because I'm afraid with the force I must apply, that it will break.

Lebowski
09-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Take it off and see whats behind it.
Take your faceplate off,
Then the chrome button for opening the tray.

SevDelta
09-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Take it off and see whats behind it.
Take your faceplate off,
Then the chrome button for opening the tray.

Sounds like an idea but I'm reaaaaallly afraid to take off that button. ANyone have an extensive guide how to do that? haha

v_thorne
09-22-2008, 04:26 AM
Sounds like an idea but I'm reaaaaallly afraid to take off that button. ANyone have an extensive guide how to do that? haha

It just pops off then back on. Like the faceplate.

Tussell
09-22-2008, 04:27 AM
Or just take off your faceplate, and you should see a small whole, about the size of a pinhead. Just put a paperclip in there, and push. That's how you can manually open it.

SevDelta
09-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Now it's starting to read the games as DVDs sometimes and gives me an error message. I read online it's a sign of the drive slowly dying. :( Man, I just got this Xbox back from microsoft.

Jdm
09-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Now it's starting to read the games as DVDs sometimes and gives me an error message. I read online it's a sign of the drive slowly dying. :( Man, I just got this Xbox back from microsoft.

If that's the case, then the tray is the least amount of your problems. Your Drive does show signs of dying, as this usually occurs in older 360 models.

My first 360 was a brand new Premium and it had a dead drive within 1 1/2 weeks. I purchased it back in June of '06.

After receiving another 360 back from MS, I noticed as time went on, my Disc Tray began not to eject itself anymore. I would actually be forced to manually pull it out with my bare hands.

SevDelta
09-24-2008, 05:42 PM
If that's the case, then the tray is the least amount of your problems. Your Drive does show signs of dying, as this usually occurs in older 360 models.

My first 360 was a brand new Premium and it had a dead drive within 1 1/2 weeks. I purchased it back in June of '06.

After receiving another 360 back from MS, I noticed as time went on, my Disc Tray began not to eject itself anymore. I would actually be forced to manually pull it out with my bare hands.

I see. Well, it's hasn't had that error in the last few days and it surely isn't a reoccurring thing so I won't send it in until it becomes one.

Adamzzz
09-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Yep, same problem here. It'll play origional Xbox discs fine, just not 360 ones. Frickin' annoying. Hopefully I'll be getting a new one in the next month.

exo-apollo
09-26-2008, 12:19 PM

Yeah yours is dying the same slow death that mine is. I get that error daily now.