PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Being Super Loud, What Could Be The Problem?

Amazon XD
09-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Hey guys,

Tonight my Xbox started doing something REALLY odd. It started to get louder and louder and louder. I wanted to play some DOOM, so I turned on my Xbox. It's a tad bit louder than normal, but whatever. My profile logs in. The console chugs up a bit louder, the fan going higher in pitch.

It does this 5 or 6 times until it's blatantly loud, obnoxious, and honestly... sounds like something is seriously wrong with the box.

I unplug the cords, and do a good ol dust-blower. Shit loads of dust come out of every which way, and as I type this, I am COVERED in dust. Shit loads of it. Anywhoot...

After about 10 minutes of cleaning out the xbox from dust, I turn it back on. I'm relieved to hear it almost SILENT. But then, CHUG. CHUG. CHUG. It get's louder and louder. I put a disc in. It's basically roaring now. Something's wrong.

But my warranty is out, I"m shit out of lucky, Duke 3D comes out tommorow, I don't have 200 dollars to spend on a new arcade, nor do I want to spend 20 dollars on a nyko cooler that will just increase the noise.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Kolin32k
09-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Try another dust clean? Sounds like you might have a big clump of the stuff blocked in or near a fan? Just a guess

Dildar
09-23-2008, 04:12 PM
I had the same thing happen to me last night. I was playing Cod4 and noticed a loud grinding sound coming from my 360. It almost sounded like the disc drive was rubbing on something. Now I have a unreadable disc error, and the warranty extension doesn't cover this reapir. It's like losing a member of the family.

Amazon XD
09-24-2008, 02:16 AM
Now it's just scratching discs. FUCK

Tussell
09-24-2008, 02:22 AM
Yeah, I'd stop putting discs in there the moment you hear noises coming from your system. It's always better to be safe, and not play, rather than ruining all your discs.

Luckily, when my Xbox was making loud noises, I continued to play and ignore it, due to the reason it really only happened with Gears of War, and not so much with others. In the end, nothing happened to my disc, but my Xbox just got worse. It ended up needing a paperclip to open it, so I just bought another one.

To this day, I've never had to contact anyone with RRoD issues.

Jdm
09-24-2008, 02:24 AM
I had the same thing happen to me last night. I was playing Cod4 and noticed a loud grinding sound coming from my 360. It almost sounded like the disc drive was rubbing on something. Now I have a unreadable disc error, and the warranty extension doesn't cover this reapir. It's like losing a member of the family.
Now it's just scratching discs. FUCK

It's a Drive problem. This problem occurred in one of my older Premiums. It's especially loud when a game is being loaded. You can literally hear the game being booted up, as the game disc spins faster in the drive. Lucky for me, my 360 died before scratching any of my games.

chefnegative
09-24-2008, 02:40 AM
that use to happen to me when i had my 360 standing up. i moved it to its side and it doesnt really do it anymore how do you have it set up?