PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster Inventory System (needs to be updated, funny)

Drake O'Phile
09-24-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm posting this here mostly because the 360 is part of the post, the rest is just worth a nice chuckle at how often business computer systems are updated. I work at a Blockbuster Video and since I'm training as a manager, I can see our inventory, which hasn't been updated in forever (also why I've been absent from here and everywhere else). Just a side quip, everything in the store is given a six digit ID number (starting with 000000), and we're already into the 970000's... so yeah they need to redo the computers.

Anyways, they never update the game inventory so here's what all of the systems correspond to in the "real" inventory (the left side is how the appears exactly on the screen and in print outs):
XBX2 (X360) - XBox 360 (Xbox 2. :p)
NREV (NINTENDO REVOLUTION) - Nintendo Wii (They haven't called it a Revolution in forever.)

And the best one:
DCST (SEGA DREAMCAST) - Sony Playstation Portable (No idea about this one, they didn't even give us a "PSP" category in the system.)

It's worth a nice laugh every time I'm running inventory. We also still have places for the NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, and PS1 in our inventory, and then we have a slew of weird obscure dead consoles like the 3DO, CDi, Atari Lynx, and Atari Jaguar in the system. All of the inventories for them are completely empty, though. Our check-in screen also mentions nothing about discs or DVDs, and instead asks us if the tapes are rewound and if the cartridges are in the case with the instruction manuals.

At least the register system has that old school MS DOS feel to it... because that's what it is. :p

IMAMEX
09-24-2008, 09:09 PM
lol that's pretty funny. Dude I got a question, what criteria does blockbuster use for the games they carry? New games that have come out and aren't carried by my blockbuster are Viva Piņata: TIP, Baja: Edge of Control, basically everything that has come out lately except for mercenaries and TNA Impact! They also don't have any FIFA games at all.

Daywalker-san
09-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks for a good laugh, i share your pain with the old computer systems, the tills at work are using OS2/WARP and the back system is using a DOS based system. The only post 2k machine in the building is the Server =\

Pezdspencer
09-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I also work at a Blockbuster, just a CSR though. I've seen everything you've talked about and i've laughed at it all. I also like when you do like check ins or stat a game, and look up top at the formats it just says "Nintendo" for most games.

I was always really puzzled about the Dreamcast/PSP thing like you said.

Oh, I also like how they have us reprice on Sundays, then reprice the same thing the next day. That makes lots of sense lol.

Drake O'Phile
09-24-2008, 10:36 PM
lol that's pretty funny. Dude I got a question, what criteria does blockbuster use for the games they carry? New games that have come out and aren't carried by my blockbuster are Viva Piņata: TIP, Baja: Edge of Control, basically everything that has come out lately except for mercenaries and TNA Impact! They also don't have any FIFA games at all.

I honestly haven't the foggiest idea on how they decide what games to send us. They sent us something like 45 copies of GTA IV when it came out for 360, and we ended up having 20 or so copies that were never even rented to anyone, ever. They all got moved to "previously played" and were for sale. We still have most of them in the store. However, when Star Wars Force Unleashed came out we got TWO copies, and one of them has already been marked defective. We were also only sent a single copy of Too Human, which needless to say is always checked out.

Pezdspencer
09-24-2008, 10:39 PM
So its not just my store with that whole thing? We have GTAIV coming out our ears, very few Force Unleashed (Like 1 wii, 3 360?) and 1 Too Human.

We also street date things later than everywhere else. At least with a lot of games. Had that problem with Rock Band 2, UT3 just to name a couple.

Raider
09-25-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm still a student but I work part time in a blockbuster in the UK. Our store codes are up to 26122500000. The last 5 numbers are the customer numbers and the first 6 are the store code. Our 360 games are searchable by xb360-enter game name here. The Wii is also updated. So maby its just your store or all US stores.

Aya-Kun
09-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm still a student but I work part time in a blockbuster in the UK. Our store codes are up to 26122500000. The last 5 numbers are the customer numbers and the first 6 are the store code. Our 360 games are searchable by xb360-enter game name here. The Wii is also updated. So maby its just your store or all US stores.

I work for a blocbuster in the UK as well -im a AM- and like you said are systems are up today well with how there searchable. wii-wii ps2-playstion 2 etc. I know all the old stuff is still on there, the only one i hate searching for is pc games, i always look instead =)

jackanape
09-25-2008, 11:55 AM
I worked at Blockbuster and know a bit about how they order stock in on the games side of things. Basically they first have to get permission from the publishers to be able to rent the games in the first place (which is why Wii games weren't available for ages) and this can mean games are delayed for reantal or are never available at all.

The quantities are ordered on the say so of one guy (well it used to be) who had to factor in how well they would rent versus how many people would buy a game. So in the case of Star Wars they may have expected a lot more retail sales than rentals.

The size of the store is also a determining factor, as the smaller Express stores get less copies of a title than a superstore would. Factor in the Blockbuster policy of barely, if ever, replacing defective games and it soon becomes clear that levels aren't going to be that high.

Pezdspencer
09-25-2008, 02:00 PM

That's how I have to search for 'em. To find customers its 250007#### the 4 #s being their account number. x360- wii- ps3- to search for those, but then there is some oddball ones. But what I was referring to is more of when you stat something and it says a different label.