PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever brought a game but then regretted it?

scarface
09-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Just say you buy a game but then a few days later you think "why'd I buy this for?"

For me it was Dead Rising, I think its because I can't beat it. Also feel like I've wasted $33 on it.

kantizuni
09-25-2008, 10:37 AM
I loved Dead Rising. Great game in my opinion. :D

I regret buying Jericho for $15 when it went down to $5 a week later. :(
But I don't regret buying any games. The ones I buy, I try to finish as much as I can, even if I don't like it. But even if it's a crappy game, it fills out the collection. :D

JayToukon
09-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Regretted Eternal Sonata tbh. It's a little too 'arty' for my liking, and not in a good way. The battle system is too simple too, pretty much button bashing. I refuse to sell it though :P

kantizuni
09-25-2008, 11:21 AM
^^ I like how EVERY achievement in Eternal Sonata is secret. That made me laugh.
Haven't got into that game yet. I bought it too, but it's stil on my "To Play" list.

Steelhead
09-25-2008, 11:23 AM
I bought GRAW on release day and traded it in 2 days later. Mucho regret.

There are others, but that one really stands out in my mind.

Pez
09-25-2008, 11:26 AM
A couple:

Alone in the Dark, Bully: Scholarship Edition, Turok, Kingdom Under Fire: Circle Of Doom, SKATE.

Not all of them are necessarily bad games, but just either not my thing or I never feel like playing 'em...

TooMuchCowbell
09-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Army of Two. After I beat the story, I was expecting awesome fun in multiplayer. I was let down, hard.

rhino185
09-25-2008, 11:27 AM
I really regretted buying Turok. It's just an ordinary shooter. So boring.

Fantaztik
09-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Yeah i have the qame :uzi:"just cause" an :uzi:"Vampire Rain" those games where TRASHH !!! i traded them in once i beat them !:drunk

JayToukon
09-25-2008, 11:30 AM
^^ I like how EVERY achievement in Eternal Sonata is secret. That made me laugh.
Haven't got into that game yet. I bought it too, but it's stil on my "To Play" list.

Some of them are complete ball-breakers too, acheivement guide recommended :) And it requires two playthrough's to 1000/1000. Good luck ^_^

vodo316
09-25-2008, 11:31 AM
i Really regrett buying Turok and Dark messiah Might and Magic even worse i bought them both at the same time lasted about 2 days before i sold them both. i was told Dark messiah was like oblivion but it was shite in my opinion

Steelhead
09-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Alone in the Dark.
Good call. I forgot all about that one. Complete waste of money.

kantizuni
09-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Oh, I bought Two Worlds also (for $5). From the reviews and what i've heard, i'm thinking it's probably worth the $5, but we'll see. I probably won't get around to playing that one for awhile anyway, with everything else that's coming out. hehe

scarface
09-25-2008, 11:52 AM
I loved Dead Rising. Great game in my opinion. :D

I regret buying Jericho for $15 when it went down to $5 a week later. :(
But I don't regret buying any games. The ones I buy, I try to finish as much as I can, even if I don't like it. But even if it's a crappy game, it fills out the collection. :D

What attracted me to the game was the fact that it had zombies. It turns me off though because I'm not very good at getting far. (Managed to get up to the part with the bombs in the tunnel)

JayToukon - I'm like that as well, even though I no longer play it I still don't want to sell it. Like kantizuni said it fills out the collection.

JayToukon
09-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Yeah totally. And even though it's not that great, i can't shun a game out of my collection that's taken up 25+ hours of my life.....it would be like deleting my inactive WoW account of 2.5 years ;)

vodo316
09-25-2008, 12:44 PM
HAHA i know what you mean about the WoW account i still have my SWG and WoW accounts and i havnt played SWG in over a year

edd__
09-25-2008, 12:48 PM
I remember downloading the demo for EA Fight Night 3, and thought it was awesome, played it for ages until the game came out and bought that. About a week later i regretted wasting 35 :|

fonzycore
09-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Universe at War, traded it in at gamestop when I picked up my grand theft auto 4 preorder.

Chaosflare
09-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Hmm... My biggest regret on 360 purchases? Can't really say I have any. Most I'd probably have to say had been buying a used copy of MLB2k6 which did not work; had to return it the next day in exchange for Two Worlds. Even though I don't play it now, I enjoyed walking around in Two Worlds.

Which reminds me... I need to finish that off eventually.

Deadly Moves
09-25-2008, 01:48 PM
DOA Extreme 2...
I bought it bcos it was like 6. so i thought i'd get some achievements from it..
Oh how i was wrong! The game was shite and the achievements are insane.

Two Worlds...
After about 1 hour of plying i nearly died of boredom and the diabolical framerate was making my eyes go weird.

Oblivion...
After escaping the prison and finding a village.. I couldnt be bothered to play it any more, so i got rid of it.

Dr. twinkletits
09-25-2008, 01:51 PM
too human was horrible after beating the game... only fun for one play through.

garbfink
09-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Soul Calibur 4

I paid 39.99 for it the day it came out and it was trash compared to SC3.

I've just sold it on ebay.

kantizuni
09-25-2008, 02:12 PM
^^
I miss the adventure mode. :( Brings a tear to my eye that they didn't bring that back.

Tubson57
09-25-2008, 02:28 PM
I can think of 3 games that I regretted purchasing: Lost Planet, Madden 07, and Need For Speed Carbon. I tried playing for fun. I tried playing for achievements. I even just tried playing to get my money's worth. But that all failed, and I ended up selling them back for a couple bucks.

DCS 23
09-25-2008, 02:40 PM
yeah i felt like that with army of two..

(also i love it well people spell things wrong in there thread title)

QueenFragger000
09-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Army of Two, Kingdom Under Fire are the first two. AOT is ok campaign, but MP is terrible. Kingdom Under Fire is just run down 1 path and kill things. Rinse and repeat. Over and over and over again.

Two Worlds...I would never have bought it at full price because the reviews were all terrible, but got it for like $9.00 and thought what the hell I'll try it. Worst game EVER. The voice acting is SO BAD it makes my skin crawl. LOL Im able to put up with it cause I'm an achievement junkie...but I still wonder what in the heck these people were thinking releasing a game like that?!?!

Da CRU Mughhh
09-25-2008, 03:04 PM
OMG yes and no lol! i collect games but i have bought so many bad games that everybody else would rent..

CSI
Kingkong
2k6 games
Table tennis (this is hard)

the list goes on and on

Pezdspencer
09-25-2008, 03:06 PM
I haven't had any problems myself, though it was priceless watching my friend who hyped up Two Worlds so much and he had pre-ordered it, brought it to my house right after he bought it popped it in my 360 and 5 min of playing it we realized how bad it really was.

He promptly returned to EBgames and told them it was defective.

Dr. twinkletits
09-25-2008, 03:12 PM
OMG yes and no lol! i collect games but i have bought so many bad games that everybody else would rent..

CSI
Kingkong
2k6 games
Table tennis (this is hard)

the list goes on and on
Is CSI that bad? I mean im sure its only good for one play through.
Would this be good for csi fans?

Da CRU Mughhh
09-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Is CSI that bad? I mean im sure its only good for one play through.
Would this be good for csi fans?

Oh god no! I'm a huge CSI fan, I watch all three religiously, and this game just made me want to pull my hair out and scream. I could not do it in one sitting even though it takes about 6hours to beat if you use the hints! All this game does is repeats it self over and over and over!

However if your going for high gamerscore, then you'll probably want to play it! other wise if your a laid back gamer that likes to play fun games, this is not the game for you!

edd__
09-25-2008, 04:00 PM
work on your own spelling and grammar before passing judgement.

Deadly Moves
09-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Oh yeah i just thought of another..
I forgot about FEAR on the 360... Man that game was shite!

RFT 123
09-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Viva Pinata 2 was a real let down. I thought it would be better than the first, but it was basically the same. And I get abuse at school for it. :( It's ok about the abuse thing, they can't handle it when they get it back. :D

xymon81
09-25-2008, 06:12 PM
ridge racer 6, bought it at release and still cant win a race. havnt gotten rid of it yet though

Keano
09-25-2008, 06:32 PM
One of the first games I got for the Xbox 360 was Condemned. I was 12-13 when I got it so it kinda scared the hell out of me. It was also extremely boring. I never knew where to go so I was stuck in places for ages and then every once in a while some lunatic came out and whacked me with a pole.

o0 TommyGuns 0o
09-25-2008, 07:34 PM
i bought enchanted arms full price and then found it everywhere for like 20 bucks

Bleeding Star
09-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Unreal Tournement 3

Oh yeah i just thought of another..
I forgot about FEAR on the 360... Man that game was shite!

Thought FEAR was awesome myself

Xx G3D xX
09-25-2008, 07:43 PM
I Personally Read Reviews B4 Buying So I Havn't Regreted Yet.........

[M]ike
09-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Prey? I'm not even sure if it was worth the gamerscore. Couldn't stand that game, every level was exactly the same and the story was terrible, to top it off the graphic were awful (I realise it's an old game, but they just made it even more unbearable) There's no way I'll play that game again to 1,000 it. >_<

Champ Kind2007
09-25-2008, 08:10 PM
For me the game I most regret buying on the 360 was probably The Club. It was one of those moments where at the time I had just finished playing Assassin's Creed and thought every game would be great. The Club brought me crashing back down to earth.

However all time biggest regret was buying Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance on the PS2. I did not read any reviews as far as I was concerned it was Mortal Kombat it had to be good and once again I would kick ass as Liu Kang. I began watching the opening sequence and Liu Kang gets killed.. I took it back to the store within a week.

A Satyr
09-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Shadowrun, 15 bucks was 14 and a half bucks too much for that garbage...

wammy71
09-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Forza 2! I'm so shitty at this game it's funny, but it was on sale at Target for $10 so w/e.

Deyankees1
09-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Soul Calibur 4

I paid 39.99 for it the day it came out and it was trash compared to SC3.

I've just sold it on ebay.

WHAT SC4 was way better then SC3. The trash that SC3 was, SC4 is a game I'll never sell.

But on topic I regret getting Prizefighter. Damn that game was trash didn't even bother finishing it.

knockton55
09-25-2008, 08:50 PM
I bought Too Human, shocking totally.

Plus its 20 quid now!

EvilestBean
09-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Vampire Rain : I bought this hopeing to get into a really good vampire game but I got stuck on it and never went back on it, also I think the achievements are quite bad.

Unreal Tournament 3 : I got this because I have never played an Unreal game before.
I liked it at first but then I lost interest :(.

kentarulez
09-25-2008, 09:05 PM
King Kong, and Forza2 (although that came with my 360, but still.....) NBA 2K6 and NHL 2K6 (really need to finish some of those off one day.)

MrJamie
09-25-2008, 09:09 PM
I bought Beijing 2008.
Wasteeeeee of money.
One of the worse olympics games ive played.
grr

Tussell
09-25-2008, 09:10 PM
I bought Beijing 2008.
Wasteeeeee of money.
One of the worse olympics games ive played.
grr
As opposed to all the wonderful Olympic games out there...

For me the game I most regret buying on the 360 was probably The Club. It was one of those moments where at the time I had just finished playing Assassin's Creed and thought every game would be great. The Club brought me crashing back down to earth.

However all time biggest regret was buying Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance on the PS2. I did not read any reviews as far as I was concerned it was Mortal Kombat it had to be good and once again I would kick ass as Liu Kang. I began watching the opening sequence and Liu Kang gets killed.. I took it back to the store within a week.
Liu Kang is a pussy anyways.

Teve0rz
09-25-2008, 09:16 PM
good thread!

i bought BMX XXX on the ps2 when it came out.. took it back the same day.

also i got a promo of two worlds, but i gave it away after playing it for 20 minutes. shockingly bad

Superfro33
09-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Mine would probably be Lego Indy. I loved the game, I just could've rented it and finished it. So the fact that I was done in like 20 hours and will never probably go back to it makes it a bit of a waste for me. That being said, anymore I pretty much rent anything I want to play, unless I know going in that I'm going to want to play it for an extended period of time.

DarkPyroGuy_09
09-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Mine were Too Human and Unreal Tournament III. I will definably trade in Too Human and get Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway.

JeS 87193
09-26-2008, 01:15 AM
First regret was GRAW...I bought it because it looked pretty, but the game-play bored me...traded it in for Fight Night Round 3 and still have that one in my collection to this day.

Overall biggest purchase regret would be Bulletwitch...that game was ugly, slow and painful to play...I even read several shitty reviews, but still gave it a go because I liked the concept; sexy witch with a big gun blowing away zombies...how'd they go wrong?

scarface
09-26-2008, 02:34 AM
yeah i felt like that with army of two..

According to the dictionary I spelt regretted correctly.

AidanK93 - same with me and Condemned. I haven't played it for over a year now.

Da CRU Mughhh - I also brought the CSI game. Mainly for the achievements which was a sad thing to do but also because I've played the other CSI games. I even got stuck because I ran out of hints.

Dr. twinkletits
09-26-2008, 02:39 AM
Oh god no! I'm a huge CSI fan, I watch all three religiously, and this game just made me want to pull my hair out and scream. I could not do it in one sitting even though it takes about 6hours to beat if you use the hints! All this game does is repeats it self over and over and over!

However if your going for high gamerscore, then you'll probably want to play it! other wise if your a laid back gamer that likes to play fun games, this is not the game for you!
sigh... guess i gotta look for somewhere to rent it now. Im based in yokoska and they have nothing here to rent... almost nothing here to buy either.

SKIBADABOMSKI
09-26-2008, 02:39 AM
I have had so many regrets as i live in Japan and when i go to a used game store i was frustrated as hell trying to work out what would be good or crap & would it be in English or Japanese. Ex. imagine GRAW in Japanese but then i got the surprise of my life when i grudgingly bought GOW (I didn't read any reviews at that time) stuck it in praying please be in English and it was and then the rest is history. But thanks to this site i don't make those mistakes any more but i also don't think i will ever forget the great feeling of playing Gears and thinking I personally have the best game in the world.

antnie
09-26-2008, 02:41 AM
I regret buying Dragon Ball z: Burst limits.

afunk117
09-26-2008, 03:07 AM
i got smackdown vs raw 2008 for 80 bucks. it was shit and i wanted to return it but now i like it

MrDudeMan
09-26-2008, 04:09 AM
Oh yeah, I've got plenty of those. Here we go...

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
Lost Planet
Alone in the Dark
Call of Juarez
Spider-Man 3
Eternal Sonata
Guitar Hero II
Guitar Hero III
Clive Barker's Jericho
Bullet Witch
Vampire Rain
Crackdown
Sega Superstars Tennis
Prey
Gun
Tomb Raider: Legend

Some of these, some of these are fun, but they should've been rentals. The rest are fucking terrible.

nobodieshero
09-26-2008, 04:35 AM
Yup dead Rising Good pick.

Dr. twinkletits
09-26-2008, 04:37 AM
another one for me is wartech. Worst game with the worst achievments. Good thing i only got it for 15 bucks.

agentplatypus
09-26-2008, 04:39 AM
Turok
BF:BC

My Wii
My PS3

xX MaslaN Xx
09-26-2008, 05:44 AM
Just say you buy a game but then a few days later you think "why'd I buy this for?"

For me it was Dead Rising, I think its because I can't beat it. Also feel like I've wasted $33 on it.

Thats how I felt about GAYLO 3

Fonkey Monkey
09-26-2008, 05:51 AM
the only game i ever remember being REALLY pissed off about buying was the first sims for ps2. shitty, terrible game.
thats actually the only game ive ever returned.

Kwyjibo3637
09-26-2008, 06:41 AM
really the only good reason I would have for regret is just spending money in general..especially if we are all gonna be poor soon.

but I do remember sitting there playing Iron Man one day..and wondering why I payed FULL PRICE for it!..

Champ Kind2007
09-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Liu Kang is a pussy anyways.

lol I am sure he was not to everyones taste but surely in pussy stakes of Mortal Kombat games Raiden took the crown of biggest?

Bobtroid
09-26-2008, 07:47 AM
MLB 2k7 and MLB 2k8. Still play MVP 05 to this day.

darquesyde
09-26-2008, 07:59 AM
I finally found a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS2 for $35US cause no one rented it. Figured it was similar to the other FF games...I was wrong. Then two weeks later it became a Greatest Hits for $20.

Myst: Exile was horrid for the PS2...load times were the worst - I should have stayed on the PC.

This is why I mostly rent before I buy.

KingSlitherOne
09-26-2008, 10:02 AM
I bought Dark Sector and i did not like it at all.. it was a waste of money imo:P

The Rude Noise
09-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Enchanted Arms... What a load of old bollocks!

JRFNelson
09-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Mine Would have to be conflict denied ops. I so hoped it would be like the old games which i loved and completed all of many times over.... How disappointed was i!!!! its not even a very good game to get into and the save points are awful.
I hope Pivotal go back to doing it right at some point. I also got very bored of Smack down vs Raw after the first 50 or so matches and exchanged that.

SKVermin
09-26-2008, 04:10 PM
I regretted buying NASCAR 08 (doesn't play nearly as well as previous games in the series), and MotoGP 07. That's just a pain to get the hang of. I grabbed Blazing Angels for $10 and have never played past the tutorial level.

rusty85
09-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Lost, I thought it would be an easy GS-Boost, but that game is boring and annoying like no other, especially if you hate the series ;)

VeNGeD
09-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog, the series seems to get worse by every game they make.

DevilGuy
09-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Army of Two.
KOF...
Beautiful Katamari
Spider Man 3.
Turok.

Can't think of others for now but there are a lot more!

C3p0
09-26-2008, 08:44 PM
i've had plenty of games of which i thought were good but turned out to be crap

The Club the game i thought was going to be amazing then completed it in a day then traded it in :mad::mad:

Encharted arms and virtua fighter 5 bought on the same day because they never had any gta iv so i bought them played them for a couple hours and got bored of them

AND THERES MANY MORE:confused::confused::confused:

Atarii
09-26-2008, 08:55 PM
I've bought may games then wished I had not spent the cash on them. Most recently I'd say Mercs 2 (while enjoyable, it's just not worth the price - I should have waited for a drop).

Lancer Evolution
09-26-2008, 11:02 PM
I regret buying Army of Two. I thought it would be way better.

JesusBread
09-26-2008, 11:29 PM
I regret buying DMC4. I bought it for the full $60 and haven't played it yet. I could have just waited... I could just buy it now for under $30...

Absolutionz
09-26-2008, 11:46 PM
unreal tournement 3

thought fear was awesome myself

agreed. Ut3 blows.

Shadownage
09-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Mercinaries 2.

Tenacious
09-27-2008, 01:59 AM
MLB 2k6 - can't seem to figure out all the stat raising so I can't get achievements.
Burnout Paradise - Takes far too long to get achievements
Civil War - GAAARRRBBAAAAGGEEE

gatorbait
09-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Two that quickly come to mind are Stuntman and Lost Planet. I remember playing the Lost Planet demo when it first came out and thought this game was going to be great. I finally decided to buy it on ebay and even waited longer until I played it. Let's just say I didn't have that same feeling playing it from when I played the demo for the first time. I pretty much got Stuntman for free with multiple gamefly dollars and it just seemed so dull and flat. I might try and go back and give it another try to work on more achievements but it wasn't what I expected. Just too frustrating.

Dr. twinkletits
09-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog, the series seems to get worse by every game they make.
Yea... i had it for my ps3... it sucked so bad i had no idea wtf i was doing.

COLE0303
09-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Yes done this a few times. Saints Row, Switchball, Far Cry Instincts Predator.

Seany Show
09-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Mine has to be Saints Row, was recommended it by a friend and as it was cheap on the internet to purchase i want ahead with it.Played it for 30mins and havent been back since. I just havent been able to put the time into it.Its currently just collecting dust with all my other games.

Dr. twinkletits
09-27-2008, 01:55 PM
I did the same thing wit saints row. Im bout to buy it again though because its cheap now and saints row 2 is coming out now and i won't know what the hell will be happening

Maka
09-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Tony Hawk American Wasteland
Unreal Tournament III
Rainbow 6: Vegas 2
Blazing Angels
Full Auto
Army of Two

ZiM1021
09-27-2008, 02:57 PM
The shitty Asteroids & Deluxe off XBLA. I still kick myself for buying that garbage.

Royle
09-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Two Worlds as I spent 30 quid on it as it looked Epic. Then I played it. Went straight to Epic to Epic Fail :( Traded it in 3 days later and got 15 quid for it.