PDA

View Full Version : "MP Achievements Ruin Games, All I Find Is Boosting Parties, Boo Hoo" - Wtf?

Blackjaw x
09-26-2008, 12:54 AM
Every time I come on here I see dozens of people bitching about multiplayer achievements. More specifically, that all they can find are boosting parties online and it ruins their experience. For that stupid reason alone, they don't buy the game and miss out on it entirely. Common examples are Gears of War, and every recently announced game... Far Cry 2, for example. Neither of these games even have hard achievements, the latter having ridiculously easy online ones.

But my main source of confusion comes from this: In all the time I have played XBox 360, been on Live 90% of the time, played every popular and unpopular FPS game, I have yet to run into a single boosting party. Every game I've played has been a purchase, and I ensure I make the best of that purchase by sticking to the multiplayer for at least a month, sometimes several. Having probably 150,000 kills in Gears (10,000 ranked, estimated 140,000 player) and hundreds or thousands of hours put into Halo 3, R6V and COD4, I repeat: I have never found a boosting match.

Explain.

Blind x360a
09-26-2008, 01:01 AM
Well CoD4 had no online achieves. :p

GoW was mainly 1 round Rooftops matches that were boosting matches.

H3 boosting was done with that language or w/e but many times I did join a FFA game and people say "He want to go for achievements?" Of course, I was low ranked. :p

RB6, Idk. :/

I have ran into boosting matches but only on GoW and even then there were so many matches going on that I just left because I wasn't interested in boosting. Don't understand why people complain about it so much.

Blackjaw x
09-26-2008, 01:02 AM
Who searches for 1 round matches in Gears of War if they want to play the game?

Blind x360a
09-26-2008, 01:05 AM
I didn't mean to. I hit quick match and joined it. :p

But I think it just became the norm that people who wanted to boost would do that. So those are who searched that.

Blackjaw x
09-26-2008, 01:10 AM
I know, but there's hundreds of people who don't play Gears because of the boosting matches. All they have to do is search for 5-19 rounds or something.

laundryman
09-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Well I think that they are okay to a certain degree. Over-doing it and making 60 to 90% of the Achievemens in Multiplayer (Turok, for example), really isn't smart. I'm not a fan of multiplayer achievements, but I can deal with them.

I, for one, never seem to find boosting parties either.

ThrawnOmega
09-26-2008, 01:43 AM
I ran into boosting groups 90% of the time in Halo 3 the day TU2 landed... haven't played it since. I also ran into several in Vegas 2 during the first few weeks after launch, but they're almost nonexistent now.

After the first few weeks of release, they usually go away, unless it's a game nobody plays online...

roy1751
09-26-2008, 02:01 AM
People here have these sentiments since most of the forum traffic revolves around achievement trading. This turns into thinking that if all MP achieves are boosted, why put them in the game in the first place.

I myself have never run into it but plenty of randoms got the shaft from my boosting parties in older games that didn't have enough populations to make it worthwhile to do any other way.

Asian47
09-26-2008, 03:58 AM
I actually like games with MP achievements. Take Gears for example, if Seriously wasn't in it, I would have more in likely fell out within the first few months. Sure, it was a pain in the ass, but the good times I had easily outweighed all the bad.

Good MP achievements should help make a good MP game worth playing for even longer than normal. Achievements for a bad MP game,(coughGTAIVcough)can make it drag for even longer.

Raven1709
09-26-2008, 04:20 AM
Most boosting parties aren't open to other people. They just try and be alone in their setup matches. So you never had people dropping out of matches when you joined or a host kick you, ans stuff like that?

neoadorable
09-26-2008, 07:43 AM
yeah i don't know what this is all about. there's very little in the way of boosting going on that i can detect, and it's not that hard finding decent people to play with. it ain't like getting married, you're playing online together, it isn't for life. time to lighten up and have fun. i don't know what all this over the top complaining is about.

kornfan2007
09-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I dont generally like MP achievements. The main reason is either the MP mode is crap and no one plays it (The Darkness, Prey). I tend to get games a little after release and therefore the MP is no longer played which leaves me with holes to fill in my achievements. I prefer SP achievements personally.

If MP is good in a game they dont need achievements in it to keep it good (CoD4).

I do not like having to rely on other players to get achievements. I feel it takes the fun out it a little as I do not do all the work at times.

Deadly Moves
09-26-2008, 01:05 PM
In my opinion, MP achievements can ruin your online experience..

CoD4 got it right IMO

AllThePenguins
09-26-2008, 01:19 PM
I think that online achievements are a good thing but only if they are seriously achieveable to everybody without the need for boosting, games like GTAIV, BF:BC and GOW give the average player very unrealistic goals, don't make them so standard like get x amount of kills, it's kinda getting old now.

Raider
09-26-2008, 01:24 PM
I have run into 2 boosting matches, on in Blacksite Area 51, the other in COD4 where they were boosting for gold weapons. So just because the game doesn't have online achievements doesn't prevent boosting.

JRFNelson
09-26-2008, 03:25 PM
I Tend to try and do all the SP achievements in a game but i have never gone after the MP achievements. I spend a huge amount of time playing COD4 online an do i miss not having achievements for it, no i dont think so. The online game is good enough in terms of unlocking weapons and going through prestige mode that it keeps you entertained. I only hope that COD5 works in a similar way.

Ruthless
09-26-2008, 05:41 PM
In my opinion, MP achievements can ruin your online experience..

CoD4 got it right IMO

This is correct because CoD4 is so shit online that atleast we wouldnt be forced to play that shite just for a poxy achievement :)

Jamie Solo
09-26-2008, 05:56 PM
This is correct because CoD4 is so shit online that atleast we wouldnt be forced to play that shite just for a poxy achievement :)

I agree with you 100% there mate!

Pujos
09-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Haven't played it, but most people say it's brilliant ;]

xxEquilibriumxx
09-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Boosting parties are hard to come across in most games. Take rainbow 6 vegas 2. Any game set up on villa was pretty much a boosting game. Army of 2 no matter what game I got into when i wasn't boosting with friends always asked if I was willing to boost. I don't know how many people whine about boosting in games...I just hear people complain at multilayer achievements because they are pretty bad at multiplayer and wont get many achievements.

BlamelessSoul
09-26-2008, 07:00 PM
the thing is if you dont like boosting or people who boost you can simply leave and find a different match. Seemed to me like there were plenty of servers in those games, so just find a different one. I dont know why anyone would need to boost for gears, I got a fully 1250 legit of course it did take me 5month of playing everyday. I personally would rather deal with a booster than a glitcher any day of the week though

Pez
09-26-2008, 07:22 PM
I can honestly say that in all of my time gaming online, I've only ever came across 1 boosting party, and that was in Gears Of War.

Like yourself, I feel people are a little OTT when it comes to the whole aspect of boosting parties.

Seany Show
09-27-2008, 12:14 PM
I have come across a few boosting groups or individuals.Never in Gears of War but in games like R6V2, Halo3 and Cage Matches in COD4 for the headshots!!With the amount of multiplayer I play id say generally you would struggle to come across alot of boosting because on popular games people just want to enjoy themselves.

DigitalFury
09-28-2008, 01:37 AM
I personally don't like MP achievements because I don't really play MP all that often. The last game I owned that I really played the shit out of the MP was RB6:Vegas. Hell, I own Madden 09 and avoid playing online like it's the plague. I only play online with 2 people: My best friend and my Brother in law. I prefer playing co-op games online rather than competetive.

MasonW94
09-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Never have I ever come across a boosting party in any game.

Boosting happens and if you love achievements id be suprised if you didnt join in.

o0 TommyGuns 0o
09-29-2008, 06:06 AM
if i buy a game i like it to have multiplayer achievements for replay value but if i rent it i usaully just like single player games

daninthemix
09-29-2008, 09:30 AM
I don't really have a problem with online achievements or boosting, except achievements like Wanted on GTA4 which just require you to play the game so much you will be sick to death of it - and that's if you loved it at first. If you only thought it was so-so then gawd help you.

EDIT - you mention Far Cry 2. How do you know the online ones are easy? Do you know what reaching Rank 30 will entail? It might be another Wanted.

Steelhead
09-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I don't really believe that people pass over games because of boosting parties. If so, they aren't very bright. Like you said, finding a boosting party (without looking) is very rare. If someone gave you that excuse, they are simply against boosting and trying to make a statement.

Same with "I'm not buying this game because the achievements are too easy". Yeaaahhhhh....riiiiight http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h236/brettben1/Emoticons/laugh.gif http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h236/brettben1/Emoticons/laugh.gif

Marx0r
09-29-2008, 01:27 PM
I know, but there's hundreds of people who don't play Gears because of the boosting matches. All they have to do is search for 5-19 rounds or something.

Actually, I boosted Gears in 18 or 16-round matches. And I don't think I've ever came across a boosting party I wasn't in.

Blackjaw x
09-29-2008, 08:46 PM
EDIT - you mention Far Cry 2. How do you know the online ones are easy? Do you know what reaching Rank 30 will entail? It might be another Wanted.

Wanted was easy.

Getting to any rank is an easy achievement, it's straightforward but takes a while. If the game is fun online and there's leveling up and whatnot to make it interesting, there's really no point boosting, so getting to rank 30 won't be a problem. If you're going to spend hours going for an achievement, you might as well have actual fun doing it than boost the entire thing and shave off some time. But with games like Saints Row where you need to get a trueskill rank and it's super glitchy, and you can lose a rank, boosting makes the most sense. Far Cry 2 won't be like that.

wammy71
09-29-2008, 08:56 PM
I personally think that MP achievements aren't that great of an idea mostly because not everyone has access to Xbox Live. I also have never seen a boosting party either.

Daywalker-san
09-29-2008, 10:10 PM
i have only run into 2 boosting matches ever, once on gears of war, and once on TF2. Although the TF2 one was more one guy asking more than anything