PDA

View Full Version : Would it work?

Nerdz0r
09-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Well, I play live at my friends sometimes when I have trial cards and I really want it now.

I want live.
Problem is I have a wired router.
It's on broadband but only has one ethernet port and it's being used for the computers internet.

I found out about those Ethernet Adaptors that cost about 5 and basically it's a usb on one end, and an Ethernet imput on the other.
So would I be able to use that on my computer and be able to connect it with my 360 so I can play live?

Please help.
Thanks.

UberViking
09-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Im not a technical genius but yea somehow you can hook your 360 to the comp. Wireless adapter is easier.

DCS 23
09-28-2008, 12:16 PM
maybe easier but its not cheap..shore as hell dont cost 5

what u used to do was just use one at a time was a pain in the ass to keep swaping all the time but hey thats what i had to do..

i bought one of those usb/double ethernet ports it should work but the damn think wouldnt install properly onto my pc but once u get past that stage it should work fine..

scarface
09-28-2008, 12:17 PM
If you wanted to you could buy another router that has four ports. They aren't overly expensive.

hoernchen
09-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Shouldn't this go into the technical subforum? Anyways.

There are so called Switches (Network Switches), that help you with exactly these problems and they are usually pretty cheap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch

DCS 23
09-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Shouldn't this go into the technical subforum? Anyways.

There are so called Switches (Network Switches), that help you with exactly these problems and they are usually pretty cheap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch
does it matter? really honestly? i hate it when people start being forum cops, oh mod..
oh thats right ur not one..
seriously find somin better to do than telling him where things goes wow he made a mistake..

Nerdz0r
09-28-2008, 12:22 PM
If you wanted to you could buy another router that has four ports. They aren't overly expensive.

Hmm, do you know where I could get one? Or would I have to contact my provider.

And thanks to you guys.

Problem with switching the cable around is my family use this computer if I'm not on it, so I'd only be able to play Live at like 12 am - 7am. Which tbh, is pretty crap. :P

And I wasn't talking about the network switch on my first post but thanks for telling me.

EnterTheFray
09-28-2008, 12:27 PM
there might be a spare ethernet plug in the back of the computer (i know ive got 2) and then simply plugging it in .

hoernchen
09-28-2008, 12:27 PM
does it matter? really honestly? i hate it when people start being forum cops, oh mod..
oh thats right ur not one..
seriously find somin better to do than telling him where things goes wow he made a mistake..

WTF? I just posted the simplest and cheapest way to do what he wanted. Read the whole effin' post...

Nerdz0r
09-28-2008, 12:29 PM
there might be a spare ethernet plug in the back of the computer (i know ive got 2) and then simply plugging it in .

I checked, there isn't.

I'll try hooking it up to my router in a bit.
If that doesn't work I'll buy a Network Switch.

Thanks everyone.

DCS 23
09-28-2008, 12:29 PM
WTF? I just posted the simplest and cheapest way to do what he wanted. Read the whole effin' post...
lol are you going to cry?

if ur from the uk dude i know they sell a four port router in currys for 39.99

hoernchen
09-28-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm from Germany, i can get a cheap 4port switch for under 10 .

Nerdz0r
09-28-2008, 12:33 PM
lol are you going to cry?

if ur from the uk dude i know they sell a four port router in currys for 39.99

Cheers mate, I'll check that out next week when I get payed

scarface
09-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Hmm, do you know where I could get one? Or would I have to contact my provider.

And thanks to you guys.

Problem with switching the cable around is my family use this computer if I'm not on it, so I'd only be able to play Live at like 12 am - 7am. Which tbh, is pretty crap. :P

And I wasn't talking about the network switch on my first post but thanks for telling me.

You can buy them from Computer stores or any store that sells Computers or Networking gear. I brought a $58 Linksys router from a Computer store.

Nerdz0r
09-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Ok.
Thanks so much for the help!