PDA

View Full Version : Idea for the Site!

Parkerktm
09-29-2008, 02:46 AM
I think this site should have a system that is implemented into the drop down bar with Friend Requests, Visitor Messages, Private Messages, etc, etc...

The system is that each time someone quotes you it automatically sends you a notification, similar to facebook.

What do you guys think?

I think this would help allow people to navigate throughout the forums better getting from thread to thread faster and if you don't log on daily like some of us, then you don't have to go back looking through past forum pages to find your thread.

kiwi18
09-29-2008, 02:57 AM
Kind of like Facebook's notifications? I think it is a great idea tbh. But then again, Parker does wear tube socks, so I don't know.

Parkerktm
09-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Yes like Facebook notifications, well similar i guess. Didn't I state that in the original post? :p

SuperNova X2X
09-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Sounds interesting. Someone's bound to find something wrong with it though.

I like it myself, I'd love to know when I've been quoted, rather than having to search for the thread you posted in and looking through all the posts after yours.

Let's see what the mod's think shall we?

kiwi18
09-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Yes like Facebook notifications, well similar i guess. Didn't I state that in the original post? :p

Ha, yeah you did. I was out of it yesterday.

Blackjaw x
09-30-2008, 12:03 AM
Why not just go to subscribed threads?

Parkerktm
09-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Why not just go to subscribed threads?

Because from my understanding that has nothing to do with getting quoted.

And not everyone is a subscriber, it's a feature for every member of the site to use, or at least i would hope so if it got implemented.

Birky
09-30-2008, 01:20 AM
Because from my understanding that has nothing to do with getting quoted.

And not everyone is a subscriber, it's a feature for every member of the site to use, or at least i would hope so if it got implemented.

Subscribing to threads is available to everyone. You just press "thread tools" and then press "Subscribe to this Thread". Then you can just go to the "quick links" tab, then "subscribed threads". I use that feature to keep track of threads I posted in that I don't want to forget.

Blackjaw x
09-30-2008, 02:16 AM
Or just go to settings and make it so every thread you post in is subscribed to automatically.

How often are you quoted and why do you want to see that so specifically? Kinda bizarre to me.

Parkerktm
09-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Subscribing to threads is available to everyone. You just press "thread tools" and then press "Subscribe to this Thread". Then you can just go to the "quick links" tab, then "subscribed threads". I use that feature to keep track of threads I posted in that I don't want to forget.

lol, wow, i thought that was a subscriber feature only. Still, i think it's a bigger pain in the butt to subscribe to every thread compared to just getting a quote message.

Or just go to settings and make it so every thread you post in is subscribed to automatically.

How often are you quoted and why do you want to see that so specifically? Kinda bizarre to me.

A lot of people are quoted on the site, it was only an idea for the mods to think about.

Blackjaw x
09-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Still, i think it's a bigger pain in the butt to subscribe to every thread compared to just getting a quote message.

As I said, you can make it so it automatically subscribes to every thread you post in.

AOS Puck
09-30-2008, 07:05 PM
A lot of people are quoted on the site, it was only an idea for the mods to think about.

I think he was asking "why do you want to know when you are quoted?" or "why do you care that you were quoted?".

kiwi18
10-03-2008, 01:09 AM
I think he was asking "why do you want to know when you are quoted?" or "why do you care that you were quoted?".

So if a another member quoted your post and ask you a question, you can give a swift answer.

Blackjaw x
10-03-2008, 01:25 AM
But if they ask a question without quoting and you don't use subscribed threads, you'll miss it. Subscribed threads is the way to go, especially when you are on here all day anyway, which I think he is.

If you rely on seeing the threads in which you were quoted, you'll miss tons of possibly more important threads in which you weren't quoted. I rarely quote people, I just put their name and my comment.

Parkerktm
10-03-2008, 02:53 AM
But if they ask a question without quoting and you don't use subscribed threads, you'll miss it. Subscribed threads is the way to go, especially when you are on here all day anyway, which I think he is.

If you rely on seeing the threads in which you were quoted, you'll miss tons of possibly more important threads in which you weren't quoted. I rarely quote people, I just put their name and my comment.

I'm really not on this site that much anymore, maybe post 20 times a week and submit achievement pictures, that's really all.

As for subscribing to threads, i feel it to be a hassle to subscribe to every thread i post in, and you make a valid point about not everyone quoting someone to answer/ask a question, but 90% of the time people figure it out within their first 15 posts on the site.

Blackjaw x
10-03-2008, 03:07 AM
As for subscribing to threads, i feel it to be a hassle to subscribe to every thread i post in

For the third time, it does it automatically. I know you really want your bright idea award, but jeez.

jorGe62990
10-03-2008, 03:53 AM
I personally think it is a pretty good idea, but not completely necessary as stated above; the subscribed threads feature is essentially the same thing.

But anyway, why hasn't a staff member come in a given their opinion yet?

Parkerktm
10-03-2008, 04:12 AM
For the third time, it does it automatically. I know you really want your bright idea award, but jeez.

I could care less about awards, if i wanted an award i would join the review team since their recruiting or i'd post more frequently to get 5K or i'd subscribe.

If you want to be rude please take it elsewhere but don't judge me, if you have an issue with me take it up with the mods, it was an idea, that's all, i don't see the harm in it. If i mod decides it's not needed or appropriate at this time then i'm sure their share their opinion in the next day or so. Until then that's get some more opinions on the matter.

I like the feature on facebook and only thought it was worth a try to implement it to this site.

Falcongale
10-03-2008, 05:49 AM
and submit achievement pictures

Wow, a whole total of 1 picture! Christ your good at this!

Here's where the brain comes in, right... this may sound like a good idea but from a software standpoint its not exactly viable. It's extremely complicated and very far out of the scope of what vBulletin can do. Add on the fact that you have 200,000++ members, and most people quote every time they post meaning that there will be an increased load on the server and a lot of bandwidth being wasted.

x360a runs out of someone elses pocket, made easier by public donations from members, meaning they aren't exactly going to essentially waste 'gigabyte dollars' on extra bandwidth per month just so some ego-trip kid wants to know who's talking about him here or there.

Hope you can understand that, kiddo.

Parkerktm
10-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Wow, a whole total of 1 picture! Christ your good at this!

Here's where the brain comes in, right... this may sound like a good idea but from a software standpoint its not exactly viable. It's extremely complicated and very far out of the scope of what vBulletin can do. Add on the fact that you have 200,000++ members, and most people quote every time they post meaning that there will be an increased load on the server and a lot of bandwidth being wasted.

x360a runs out of someone elses pocket, made easier by public donations from members, meaning they aren't exactly going to essentially waste 'gigabyte dollars' on extra bandwidth per month just so some ego-trip kid wants to know who's talking about him here or there.

Hope you can understand that, kiddo.

oh boy, I feel like not even bothering with this but i feel obligated to due so because you are so mislead.

I have submitted well over 1 achievement picture, if you don't believe me or want to believe differently i'm sure someone can vouch for me.

I'm sorry i'm not completely enlighten on V-bulletin, but can you try to keep in my this was only a suggestion/idea. You make a good point on how it might put extra stress on the servers.

To correct you on your statement of 200,000 members, there are not even close to 200,000.

Members: 114,147, Active Members: 22,075

Ego Trip Kid? You might want to refrain from making idiotic statements buddy, i'm probably one of the most modest people you'd ever meet.

Falcongale
10-03-2008, 08:02 AM
In no way was my post directed at you, kiddo.

It's not about being enlightened with vBulletin, it's being enlightened with general knowledge and a logical brain. I used 200,000 as an example.

No need to get defensive, kid.

SuperGaz
10-03-2008, 01:08 PM
In no way was my post directed at you, kiddo.

I think when you directly quote someone in your above post it means that the response is diretced at another member, so in every way your post was directed at him.

There was no need for your reponse except to provoke an argument. If you havent anything constructive to say other than to insinuate someones lack of networking knowledge then dont bother.

And whats with the kiddo thing? Is that your way of making people feel small? its kind of pathetic, no, no wait...., it is pathetic.

Jdm
10-03-2008, 01:17 PM
I think this site should have a system that is implemented into the drop down bar with Friend Requests, Visitor Messages, Private Messages, etc, etc...

The system is that each time someone quotes you it automatically sends you a notification, similar to facebook.

What do you guys think?

I think this would help allow people to navigate throughout the forums better getting from thread to thread faster and if you don't log on daily like some of us, then you don't have to go back looking through past forum pages to find your thread.

I, for one like the idea. Since there are a few members that I have not approved to join my Social Groups, my Notifications are always available as a drop down tab. I find it much easier to get to my Messages/Comments.

As for now, I'm going to shut this thread down. Whatever it is between you(Parker) and Falcongale, please resolve it. I'm seriously tired of all the beefing. Either ignore each other or squash it and call it cool.