PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble winning? Learn to use the Clutch

jeffy777
09-29-2008, 05:46 AM
At first, I was having trouble gwinning, or even coming close to winning the races in career mode.

But then I realized you have to use the clutch button (even with an automatic transmission) any time you feel like you're going slow: right at the beginning of the race, when going over rough sections that bog you down, and when coming out of corners that slow you down.

It makes a huge difference and now I have no problem coming in first, even without buying upgrades.

For sharp turns, you don't even really need to slow down much, if at all: just use the E-brake to get your car sliding into the turn, then use the clutch to power out of it and get back up to speed.

The game is pretty good, just takes a bit to get used to it, but once you get the clutch down you should have no problem winning.

Sniper07LHS
09-30-2008, 05:38 AM
thanks for the tip, i gave up completely on this game about 30 minutes into it...now i will give it a 2nd try and if i start to finish higher than 3rd then i will re-rent it and also rent the baja 1000 game coming out and choose between 1 of them

Darth Cuda
09-30-2008, 06:31 AM
use a better gearing setup for certain races like circuit and slower tracks use a lower gear ratio (which is actually a higher number; slide towards the right) under transmission final gear. If you set it too low though your top speed will be less and the engine can over-rev and become damaged. This greatly improves acceleration and makes a HUGE difference.

jeffy777
10-01-2008, 01:10 AM
thanks for the tip, i gave up completely on this game about 30 minutes into it...now i will give it a 2nd try and if i start to finish higher than 3rd then i will re-rent it and also rent the baja 1000 game coming out and choose between 1 of them

You're welcome :)

It takes some practice to get the clutch mastered. The key is to be able to release the clutch at the right time as your coming out of a corner and to be able to control it because it does give you a nice boost and if you're not careful it can boost you right off the track and into a huge rock or something :)

For a lot of the races, you never even need to let of the gas: just keep it floored into the corners and use the E-brake for the tight ones to initiate a power slide, then as you let off the E-brake, pull in the clutch and let out as your coming out of the turn. If you do it right you won't lose any speed at all.

Timing is really important. Some corners you won't need the clutch at all. Some you just need to tap it. For the tighter corners you'll want to hold it down for longer. Also any time you wipe out or come to a stop you'll want to hold it down for a bit as holding it will give you an extra boost, but don't hold it too long.

ONEBADJEEP
10-01-2008, 04:18 AM
You can also tap it multiple times until you are up to speed. Tap it at the start will get you up to 30 mph, tap it again gets you to 45 mph, and one more tap to 60 mph. It doesn't do much after that.

Darth Cuda
10-01-2008, 09:19 AM
A bit of warning though don't overuse the clutch though. It can become damaged very quickly if you overuse it (especially if you haven't upgraded it). You can still finish the race with reduced acceleration/power, if you destroy the clutch, although its not a realistic scenerio.

Patxi952
10-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi!,

I need help for this race (is the only one left me to complete Career mode):

League --> Trophy Truck --> BFGoodrich Open Class Challenge

Which setup would you use for that race?

I cannot come first with the default set up. It seems impossible.

Thanks.

Lanky_Jam_Ez
10-02-2008, 09:34 PM
wow thnks b4 i read this best i could do was 4th and after i won 5 races in a row straight away lol cheers:woop:

jeffy777
10-03-2008, 01:28 AM
wow thnks b4 i read this best i could do was 4th and after i won 5 races in a row straight away lol cheers:woop:

Sounds good, no prob :D

Ralph The Rogue
04-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm glad I saw this thread as I was about to give up on this game in the second car class. Clutch sounds just like the boost button available in the other Baja game that you must use if you want to win.

Looking forward to giving this game another try.

eiVaL
07-30-2010, 03:03 AM
LOL, im dustin these fools:woop:

i was about to give up too like the others, i just finished the first race with the 2nd place guy barely in my HUD map

i couldnt even get past 3rd before. even after i entered the SuperMax cheat.

eiVaL
07-30-2010, 03:17 AM

i was about to give up too like the others, i just finished the first race with the 2nd place guy barely in my HUD map

the best part is you really only have to get a lead then not worry about it since the A.I. basically stays the same speed, even the first place dude, atleast on Easy he does. so by the time the clutch warning shows up on the hud im already in the lead and dont need to use it again

gmorra
07-30-2010, 12:02 PM

the best part is you really only have to get a lead then not worry about it since the A.I. basically stays the same speed, even the first place dude, atleast on Easy he does. so by the time the clutch warning shows up on the hud im already in the lead and dont need to use it again

Do the cheats lock achievements?

BrenGun81
11-28-2010, 02:59 AM
I know this is an old thread, but thank you so much OP. I was coming last constantly, just started using the clutch and came first 3 times in row.