PDA

View Full Version : Offline Achievements, a Bad Thing?

SabreOscar
09-29-2008, 05:24 PM
I see people talking about what they will do today since Live is down. Seems like most people do not want to get any achievements while offline.

My Question is what is so bad about getting achievements while offline? Is it the fear of being accused as a cheater? glitches? Can someone shed some light on this for me?

I have some offline achievments from back before I got Live setup, does that make those achievements any less legit then the ones I got while connected?

Thanks.

Blind x360a
09-29-2008, 05:33 PM
If you didn't cheat for them, no.

Some people just don't like gaining achievements offline because there is no timestamp next to them. So people could look at it as that they cheated. For most it is just a preference though. I know I had a couple games lined up but since live is down I will save them for another day. :p

Marx0r
09-29-2008, 05:35 PM
I see people talking about what they will do today since Live is down. Seems like most people do not want to get any achievements while offline.

My Question is what is so bad about getting achievements while offline? Is it the fear of being accused as a cheater? glitches? Can someone shed some light on this for me?

I have some offline achievments from back before I got Live setup, does that make those achievements any less legit then the ones I got while connected?

Thanks.

Well, one of the main giveaways that someone cheated is that they have online achievements unlocked offline. For example, if someone unlocked "Seriously..." in Gears of War offline, they cheated. Also, if someone has ridiculously hard achievements, like Rumble Roses or Spiderman 3 offline, they probably gamesaved it. Most games have patched the glitches that let you cheat, so you'd have to delete the patch and play offline.

It just makes it look better and provides a little bit more evidence if all your achievements are dated. If you've got a few easy games/achievements unlocked offline, no one's going to care.

Also, if you can't get your achievements to upload to xbox.com correctly, you have a problem. For example, let's say I finished up my RB6V1 campaign, but I couldn't get my tag to update later. I have to replay the entire story.

Vapourise
09-29-2008, 05:36 PM
ye i no i dont no why people are so obsested im not botherd of geting them offline because people arent goin to be sad anough to go on xbox.com and check to see when you get it at the most they will just look at them on there xbox, and they cant tell it just says you've got it so what the big deal???

J.Waddo
09-29-2008, 05:46 PM
I've got quite a few achievements offline before I got live, and because I've got a password on my live account I sometimes forget to sign in and end up getting achievements offline. Im not too bothered though, cant exactly be accused of being a cheater if I dates next to every single online acheivement i've got.

gatorbait
09-29-2008, 06:04 PM
I personally don't care. It is nice to have the date to go with the achievements but just because Live is down today doesn't mean I'll stop playing. Most of my achievements are dated but even if I did have a higher percentage of offline achievements I wouldn't care what some other person thought about if I cheated or not. Gamercard is for your personal accomplishments and if you know you achieved everything legitimately then it doesn't matter one bit.

CovertDog
09-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Just having achievements offline doesn't make you a cheater. For someone who knows what to look for doesn't even consider it. I myself just prefer not to have offline achievements. It's just personal preference.

Evo Kazz
09-29-2008, 06:59 PM
I dont like offline ones because people often say you can lose them during gamertag recovery. Most people need not worry about tag recovery, but with all this RROD out there and silly things it would still suck to have to do achievements again cos they werent crossed over to new or recovered accounts.

The only achievements I have offline are the first few on GOW which I got before going Live

A Satyr
09-29-2008, 07:01 PM
I just dont like having 1 out of the whole group with no date, and i got 1 5 seconds after live went down...

RaidenX49
09-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Some of my achievements are offline, thats because I used to have connection problems and I was too lazy to keep logging back in so I just kept playing. Also most of my Sonic 2 achievements are offline except the first 2 and the last 2 because I never had live much over the summer so when I didnt have live I played Sonic. Also one game people are going to think I cheated on when I didn't, it glitched on me is skate. I already explained in one topic I was going for the last trick in the trick book and once I landed it like 20 achievements unlocked even online ones, and I didn't know why it happened. But to sum it up I like to have the dates beside them just so they seem legit, I'll still get offline achievements though.

SuperNova X2X
09-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Well I've been playing The Force Unleashed today and earning achievements so I'm not bothered. I'm not worried about being accused of cheating either because I know that I got them legit, but I'll usually save an easy achievement and get it timestamped too, so at least 1 is unlocked online.

Shorty x360a
09-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Personally I like them to have timestamps on, so it's the reason I haven't been on RSV2 today, will start tomorrow. :D

xGWx NiiNJA
09-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Achievements offline or online im not really bothered
But tbh i think my friend was when he first got his Xbox he made an acc then he had no internet connection for like 3 months and by then he had gained like 4k GS.
He came over to my house recovered his GT and he lost it all. =D
That's the reason my friend don't like it =D

Deadly Moves
09-29-2008, 07:53 PM
I would rather i get an achievement while connected to XBL for pretty much the same reasons as the above posters...

But i've got many achievements while playing on my bros 360 when he couldnt get his 360 to connect to the internet.
I know i got them legit so i dont really care.. If they arnt date stamped

Infact i got an achievement about 20 mins ago...
100g for completing Star Wars TFU on Sith Lord

Tiberian
09-29-2008, 08:01 PM
I don't think it matters, its just something i've got into the habit of, like a lot of people. My 360 is normally always connected to Live, so almost all my achievements will have time stamps.

Missis Beki
09-29-2008, 08:09 PM
I dont liek it as it looks bad when you have a random achievement offline, my internet goes down a lot and I have a few not dated and I hated it, like when I was doing Viva Pinata 2. One of the achievements I got just after my net went down and now I am not allowed on the leaderboards here for that game so maybe that is a reason why people from x360a dont liek unlocking them offline

kentarulez
09-29-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm not too bothered, but I prefer to get them online if i can, just so people can see that I got it straight away.

wstussyb
09-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Really does not bother me, since I get some games early, I'm forced to play them offline, per the agreement. Before guessing, my wife is a manager at a video store, and was told that if she pre-rent's any games, they cannot be played online, TBH I rather play some games early then care if I get a achievement online or offline.

mikeh88
09-29-2008, 10:07 PM
I don't care if I have offline achievements. The only reason why I would want time stamps on my achievement is to see how long it took for me to complete the game. Other than that it's all good

Steelhead
09-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Doesn't matter to me at all. Not a bit. I enjoy playing WAY too much to stop just because of a time stamp.

hoernchen
09-29-2008, 10:22 PM
I like having Dates besides my Achievements, but for about 4-5 Months per Year, i cannot access the internet (not at home, but with my 360). So yeah, what else could i do, than get those Achievements offline? ;)

And i don't really think it's a problem at all. I'm at about 64k right now and only had to deal with someone who accused me of 'cheating' once. And that was because he was not skilled enough to complete Pac Man C.E. (not even a hard game).

As long as you haven't got all your Online Achievements offline, nobody will care. :)

BlamelessSoul
09-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Doesnt bother me i spent today finishing the rest of the regional achievements for the new Viva and i finished the rest of the game. I just posted for a spot on the finished board and dont expect to have any problems. I could understand if an entire 1000 was done offline that looks more strange but if you have 4 or 5 achievement offline and the last online achievement you had was they day before they shut down it should be obvious

Bobtroid
09-29-2008, 11:27 PM
I got 1000 Fight Night, Madden 06, and NBA 2k6 and most of Madden and NCAA 07 offline before I got live, must mean I gamesaved.

SabreOscar
09-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the responses. I love to play games. I know I got all of my score legit and will continue to. The offline will not bother me, but I could see where people could take advantage of it.

For the Record though...I will not be playing my 360 tonight. Its TV night with the wifey, so I have to watch Heroes and Life and make sure she gets her quality time for the week.

CyanideBreathMint
09-30-2008, 12:24 AM
I chuckle every time I read someone state they won't play offline in fear that others will think they gamesaved. Who really cares if you did or didn't gamesave? I certainly don't.

Best of both worlds because if someone did gamesave, you know they don't give a shit but if they didn't gamesave but got the achievement offline then they shouldn't give a shit what anyone else thinks too, right? Too...many...words...

phatRizzo
09-30-2008, 12:26 AM
I have so many thats offline and online, didn't even realize about time and date stamp till this site.....

I had to return Lego Batman today (played through it all with my wife) (and i love the lego games), and i wanted to get it to at least 800 points before i returned it, so i got the last 200 to hit 800 offline.... woulda preferred it online, but alls well

scarface
09-30-2008, 01:16 AM
Most of my achievements have been unlocked offline. Thats because I haven't always had live or the router stopped working, so I couldn't be bothered fixing it. Except for the online achievements...those do have timestamps.

fonzycore
09-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Why are people so crazy about this?

The only people that could possibly be accused of cheating have already been mentioned - people who DO cheat. It should be very obvious who does and does not do it. Anyone near the 100K mark should be looked at closely whether they cheat or not, a number that high is always suspicious. As long as you're not actually cheating you'll be fine. If you are, you get whats coming to you, a ban. I've got time stamps here and there because sometimes my cable goes down and thats usually when I play the 360 most (no computer or TV). I'm not the least bit worried about someone accusing me or not, anyone that paranoid most likely already gamesaves or whatever.

MythosEngineer
09-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Interesting to read through this thread at all the people who need to have a time stamp next to their achievements. Not bad per say, just interesting. I personally don't care if mine do or don't as I know I earned them legit and don't care about leader boards or whatever. I play to have fun, unlock some achievements and enjoy relaxing while playing a game. Was rather annoyed that I could not multi player today, but ah well. I also do not see no time stamp as a sign of cheating; how ridiculous is that. O_o

ImmortalLeoman
09-30-2008, 04:12 AM
I just like to see when I got it, but I dont really care if I get them on or offline.

YoungFate
09-30-2008, 04:23 AM
Im not a fan of being on my Xbox without Live

I had the day off work today...Usualy when I have a day off ill sit there for 12 hours

I played for 45mins today..Max

Once you have been on live for a year..Its kinda boring without it

This is also comming from a Gears of War addict

v SnOwMaN v
09-30-2008, 05:04 AM
Nope I don't think the are bad I have plenty of offline achievements from where my internet has lost connection. I'm not going to shut my system off just so I can have a time stamp. Right now I am playing Bully(gamefly) and I have been playing it all day and all of my achievements are offline so far since we can't get on live. I'm not going to wait a whole day just to play a game so I can get a time stamp.

Asariel
09-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Couldn't care less here either, I finished some of the hardest DMC4 achievements offline yesterday and felt nothing of it, not going to stop having fun because live is down! I can understand people wanting the date stamps though (I'm the same way with 1000s). With regard to gamesaving, having offline achievements offline is never going to be a solid indicator of that anyway.

ITS OVER 9000
09-30-2008, 07:41 PM
well i still went ahead and got a couple more achievements offline deosnt instantly brand you as a cheater. online achievments done offline your a cheat. also i did get a lot of dmc achievments too offline sure poeple will call you a cheater but if they cant prove it it shouldnt matter.

Ephajim
09-30-2008, 08:17 PM
It shouldn't matter, ofcourse what has been said above about impossible achievements offline is a whole different deal..

I myself haven't got Live (shame on me, i don't have the money for it) - so all my achievements are offline, i don't really care if some no-lifer thinks i've cheated, i know i haven't and i'm proud of the achievements i got offline

Bishop24
10-21-2008, 02:03 AM
This thread is about a month old but I don't want to make a whole new thread so I'll just respond here instead.

I have a few achievements offline in Madden 08, but that's because when I got my 360 back in August of '07 I did not have Live or High Speed internet so almost half of those achievements are offline. But once I did get High Speed internet the rest of them are online. I also got a few achievements in Scene It! LCA offline because last Christmas I went to my Grandma's house and we played the game a few tiems and she does not have internet at her house.

But as long as you know you did not cheat/gamesave/glitch any of your achievements then you are alright. I'm pretty sure it's easy for people to tell whether you gamesaved or not, just because you have a few achievements offline is not gonna make people accuse you of doing it.

FooDustX
10-21-2008, 02:42 AM
I don't really care, but I guess some people like to know exactly when they got the achievements .

CoachCO62
10-21-2008, 02:52 AM
I have alot of achievements offline especially lately, the reason being for me is that My wife wants me to stay in the bedroom with her (She's usually sleeping when I get home from work) since shes pregnant and I dont have wireless set up for my 360. If it was built in like it should be than it wouldnt be a problem but I am not paying 100 dollars just to have a time stamp next to my achievements. Some games im all offline, like SPiderman: friend or foe ( I think) and Avatar. Some games are all online, doesnt matter. I dont care if someone thinks I cheated, I didnt. I get frustrated with games beyond belief and wish I cheated but really how does that make me a better gamer (Im looking at you fifa 06-stupid beat brazil with sweeden in under 20 minutes). After I finally beat that game Ill feel better since that acheivement is one of the hardest on the planet and truely takes a combination of skill/luck and persistance. Now if I do it offline it doesnt mean I cheated. I prefer offline achievements so than when you play online you can play for fun rather than score.

MasterToker
10-21-2008, 06:23 AM
[quote=Missis Beki;1190554]I dont liek it as it looks bad when you have a random achievement offline, my internet goes down a lot and I have a few not dated and I hated it, like when I was doing Viva Pinata 2. One of the achievements I got just after my net went down and now I am not allowed on the leaderboards here for that game so maybe that is a reason why people from x360a dont liek unlocking them offline[/q

I dont understand why wont they let you on the leaderboard?

FiReStOrM^
01-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Some of the posts on this thread absolutely amaze me.. I absolutely couldn't care less whether they are stamped or not. I only got live a month ago so the majority of my achievements are not stamped, but I've got a whole lot in that time that are.

To think somebody could have cheated just because there isn't a stamp is crazy to me. Also I've seen some people saying TIME stamped, I don't see time.. only date. Is time recorded?

cobratodd
01-02-2009, 11:20 AM
i dont care i only get achievement offline is when i cant conncet to xlv

Selections
01-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Some of the posts on this thread absolutely amaze me.. I absolutely couldn't care less whether they are stamped or not. I only got live a month ago so the majority of my achievements are not stamped, but I've got a whole lot in that time that are.

To think somebody could have cheated just because there isn't a stamp is crazy to me. Also I've seen some people saying TIME stamped, I don't see time.. only date. Is time recorded?

i dont care i only get achievement offline is when i cant conncet to xlv

You guys do realize this thread was created in September when LIVE went through an update lasting 24 hours?
You shouldn't bring up threads created 3 months ago.

NoMaD DiSTuRBeD
01-02-2009, 05:09 PM
I don't have a wireless connection so I can only use 1 or the other. Sometimes I like to use a guide while searching for treasures and such or sometimes other people are using the PC. I don't care too much about a time stamp but wish they all had them.

kornfan2007
01-02-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't have a wireless connection so I can only use 1 or the other. Sometimes I like to use a guide while searching for treasures and such or sometimes other people are using the PC. I don't care too much about a time stamp but wish they all had them.

Get a router or switch and you can use both the PC and Xbox at the same time

Bababoof
01-02-2009, 08:57 PM
I don't mind but I like having time stamps next to all my achieves

Nerdz0r
01-03-2009, 01:58 AM
I can't get on live much due to my router only been 1 use and having 1 family computer, so I have to get achievements offline generally. I don't do achievements much but Idc if someone went on my page and relised that they're offline, I know personally, and so do my friends, that I got them.

CovertDog
01-03-2009, 02:07 AM
Also I've seen some people saying TIME stamped, I don't see time.. only date. Is time recorded?

With Firefox Greasemonkey add on you can see the times. Without it you can still see the dates on the post though. Please don't be dragging up old threads.