PDA

View Full Version : Study Shows Gamers Exercise More...

Keytta
09-30-2008, 01:37 PM
I found this article this morning, of course this is not a topic that will be wide spread as it may show something positive about gamers.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26947992/wid/11915829?GT1=40006

gkokonas
09-30-2008, 02:07 PM
It's a good article and I hope it is true, but IMHO it isn't a very reliable study. I mean it is based off of an online survey that rewarded gamers for taking the survey, So they take the survey, answer quickly, and get their prize. Also, they could answer any way they wanted to with no way to prove the truthfulness of their answers besides the honor system.

Promise me 10,000 additional gamerscore to take a survey and I'll take it. Will the answers be fully truthful? Maybe. Will I answer some of the questions to make myself look better (like how often I exercise.) Probably.

Asian47
09-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Intresting enough, but that's only one gaming community. Still though, it's nice to see something somewhat positive about games every once in awhile.

Deathblow23
09-30-2008, 02:54 PM
It's a good article and I hope it is true, but IMHO it isn't a very reliable study. I mean it is based off of an online survey that rewarded gamers for taking the survey, So they take the survey, answer quickly, and get their prize. Also, they could answer any way they wanted to with no way to prove the truthfulness of their answers besides the honor system.

Promise me 10,000 additional gamerscore to take a survey and I'll take it. Will the answers be fully truthful? Maybe. Will I answer some of the questions to make myself look better (like how often I exercise.) Probably.

You are absolutely correct on this one. I am glad to see some postivie light shed on gamers as a community though. That being said,...there isn't enough money currently in circulation in the world that you could give me to make me believe that gamers are a "healthy" group as whole. Almost every single person I know my age is a gamer...ranging from casual all the way to hardcore and not a single one of them is remotely intereted in health...OR wellness for that matter. I'm not saying they have to work out,...and I'm sure the study wasn't aiming to prove that either.

As I look at this, I think it probably quantified healthy as whether or not they had obvious, glaring medical issues...like say, obesity, HBP, or high cholesterol, etc. I could be wrong...but most of these types of studies aren't looking to see if the subject group are in the high end of the spectrum...but rather to see just how far in the low end they are. That is why the article used the term..."suprising". I read this article as well.

No matter how you view the situation, or what your thoughts might be...as a gamer it's so pleasing to finally, FINALLY...see somebody say something that is at least a little bit positive about us gamers!!!
:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::p:p:p:p:p:woop::woo p::woop::woop::woop:

Falcongale
09-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Doesn't take much to be fitter than the average American. I can walk to the shop across the road to buy a fresh pack of smokes and become fitter than an average American in the process.

Heck, I'd be considered anorexic to an average American. I weigh very little but hell, they're huge _.

Deathblow23
09-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Doesn't take much to be fitter than the average American. I can walk to the shop across the road to buy a fresh pack of smokes and become fitter than an average American in the process.

Heck, I'd be considered anorexic to an average American. I weigh very little but hell, they're huge _.

Again...3,245% correct on this one too. The average American is ridiculously BELOW average when it comes to what they ought to be in terms of physical fitness. It is very said...but this is the land of excess...Super-Size Fries, and extra mayo...with a little sugar on top. Most Americans are out of breath stepping out to the mailbox and getting the day's mail. It's so sad.

I read a report not long ago that the generation that are in elementary school will be the first generation in RECORDED history that will not out live their parents!!! Think about that...

Adam Miller
09-30-2008, 03:45 PM
I call BS. Gaming its just a hobby that some people have and isnt physical it doesn't mean everyone who plays a game is overweight or unfit but games have no positive effect on health.

Ryot Control
09-30-2008, 03:49 PM
...there isn't enough money currently in circulation in the world that you could give me to make me believe that gamers are a "healthy" group as whole.

Dude, if someone gave me money to agree with them, I'd tell you the world was square for 20 bucks. (That's gas money!)

But I guess I'm weird. I feel guilty if I'm parked in front of the TV all day so I gotta do something productive.

Keytta
10-01-2008, 02:03 PM
The validity of the article is definitely in question, but unfortunately most posters are correct in the state of affairs for american fitness. When a survey shows that gamers get more excercise than the average citizen, we are in big trouble. Of course I can feel the energy growing on a rebutal to squash anything positive about gamers.

Xterm1n8or
10-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I call BS. Gaming its just a hobby that some people have and isnt physical it doesn't mean everyone who plays a game is overweight or unfit but games have no positive effect on health.

That may be the case for standard controller based games, but play games like DDR or expert RB drums for a prolonged period and go crazy, then that can only be beneficial for your health.

Agreed though, if you just sit in a chair and play with a standard controller all the time, that is going to be detrimental to your physical and mental health in the long run.

Female Ninja
10-01-2008, 02:28 PM

What, so your saying that it is BS that gamers exercise more? I am kind of confused, since I thought the article about exercising more. I could be wrong though, English is my second language.

Deathblow23
10-01-2008, 02:45 PM
What, so your saying that it is BS that gamers exercise more? I am kind of confused, since I thought the article about exercising more. I could be wrong though, English is my second language.

I truly feel that the article was coming from the stance of..."hey we're researching gamers,...and boy were we suprised to find out they aren't as unhealthy we thought".

I think the comparison is gamers v. perception of gamers.

Not, gamers v. non-gamers...but I could be wrong.

Female Ninja
10-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I truly feel that the article was coming from the stance of..."hey we're researching gamers,...and boy were we suprised to find out they aren't as unhealthy we thought".

I think the comparison is gamers v. perception of gamers.

Not, gamers v. non-gamers...but I could be wrong.

Ok, I think I understand it a bit more, thanks.

Genesis x360a
10-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Kool article, Im pretty healthy and a game qiute alot. MyThumbs are like Bodybuilders :p

xXI A ROD IXx
10-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I found this article this morning, of course this is not a topic that will be wide spread as it may show something positive about gamers.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26947992/wid/11915829?GT1=40006 Very interesting. good find.

xXI A ROD IXx
10-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Kool article, Im pretty healthy and a game qiute alot. MyThumbs are like Bodybuilders :p Im extremly healthy and I game a lot. All my friends I know are healthy and they game alot. Not everyone is overwieght that plays games.

SKIBADABOMSKI
10-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I was just boosting on sega ( helping someone get 10 wins ) and he was breathing really heavy, i didn't want to say anything in case he was asthmatic or something until he quipped " am doing my morning pedal routine on my work out bike and getting achievements before breakfast " he was training whilst playing on-line. Thought that was a great idea !!

Keytta
10-01-2008, 07:18 PM
I am in agreement with Deathblow. The initial stigma was that gamers are lumpy couch potatoes, but now they are seeing that we actually do move more than our thumbs (Toxic, I think my thumbs can take yours!). This does not show how healthy gamers are, but more importantly show that we are not as singularly dimensional as the stigma puts us.

Prior to moving to GA I was the IA and NE state Judo champ and worked out all the time. I would still be competing if there was Dojo in the north GA mountains.

Pheonix_Assassin
10-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Yes i play football and do press ups so yep im exceriser lol

800th Post!!

Falcongale
10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Whoever is saying that games aren't good for your mental health etc is wrong.

Videogames are the ultimate in hand-eye-coordination training. Gamers are mentally fit as they are constantly challenging their brains, using them and excercising them. When we hit 90 you will be able to tell which gamers were hardcore and which werent... if the hardcore gamers reach 90.

If they do, they will be the least likely to have dementia etc

ITD Soldierboy
10-02-2008, 01:28 AM
I know people who game, who are 5 times the size of a regular teenager, but I also know someone who games, who is 5 times faster and stronger than the average teenager.

Besides if it was just a poll, like lets say the poll on the front of this board, where it says "if you could pick one game this year, what would it be?" of course people will lie. I did, as I picked Left 4 Dead, when I really wanted the most is to get Fallout 3.

And of course people will lie, if they're rewarded.