PDA

View Full Version : 10 Xbox 360 "Tricks"

FlyBoy120586
09-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Found this today, but its a couple weeks old... (Sept 11)
I've heard of many of these but maybe some people don't know about them.

The wireless network one (#6) would have saved me about $100:mad:

10 Xbox 360 tricks Microsoft won't tell you

Essential hacks, tricks and secrets

September 11th

1. Connect your Xbox 360 to two screens at once
If you've got one of the component/composite dual video cables the one that comes in the box with most 360s you can have your console display its gamey goodness on two TVs simultaneously. The trick is to flick the cable's switch to Standard Definition but hook up the composite (yellow) cable to one screen and the component (the red, green, blue) cables to another. It won't be high-def, but it could be handy if you're staging a mini LAN party and want to set up a display for bored spectators to point their eyes at.
2. Play your own music in original Xbox games
That you can fire up your own MP3s during a 360 game is common knowledge (and re-soundtracking moody horror games with the Benny Hill theme tune never stops being funny), but it doesn't work if you're playing a title from the original Xbox. There's a way around it start playing your album or playlist before you load the game, and it'll keep on playing once you do fire the title up. The game's own music won't be muted, however, so if you can't do that in its settings you'll go mad from the weird cacophony.
3. It can write its own blog
Ah, the internet founded upon crazy men making crazy things for free. Such as a blog supposedly written by your 360, based on what you've been using it for. It monitors your Live account and automatically generates entries about what it's been up to that day (or what it hasn't been up to expect many posts about neglect if you don't turn it on for a while). The tone is very much American geek, but it's a fun record of your own gaming habits, and of keeping an eye on what your chums are up to. Get set up at www.360voice.com (http://www.360voice.com/).
4. Play Xbox 360 games online for free without a Live account
That you have to pay a subscription for online gaming, something that's free on other consoles and on the PC, is perhaps the 360's greatest bugbear. Stage your own form of peaceful process by playing online without paying a penny. You'll need XLink Kai (http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/), a free app you run from a PC on the same network as the console that tricks the 360 into thinking the internet is a LAN.
So it'll treat remote opponents as though they're in the same room as you and you don't have to pay for local multiplayer. Clever! One snag Microsoft has set the 360 to boot out anyone with a ping higher than 30ms, so you'll have to be selective about who you play with. Local chums are best, not your Chinese penpal.
5. Interact with your Xbox 360 music
Hit X whilst playing a music CD or file (whether from the 360's hard drive, an MP3 player you've plugged in, or streamed from a PC) and you'll enter Psychedelic Wonderland. Well, some artful visualisations, anyway. Grab a controller or two (or up to four, as it happens) and start moving thumbpads and pressing buttons to interact with the crazed shifting colours. There are actually some fairly elaborate controls read the full manual at http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/x360manual.php. Good at parties, this.
6. Connect your Xbox 360 to a wireless network without an official adaptor
The good news is you don't have to drop 50 on Microsoft's offensively overpriced Wi-Fi adaptor. The bad news is you'll need a laptop with W-Fi to do it. Head to Control Panel Network Connections (In Windows XP) or Network & Sharing Center Manage Network Connections (in Vista). Select the Local Area Connection and the Wireless Network Connection at once, then right-click and hit 'bridge connections'.
Disconnect then reconnect to your wireless network, run a network cable from the laptop's Ethernet port to the 360's, and you should be good to go. Unfortunately, you may have to remove the bridge (repeat the above process and you'll see the option) whenever you want to browse the net with the laptop.
7. Play music from your iPod
Not a secret as such, but Microsoft doesn't exactly shout about the fact it plays nice with a device made by uber-rival Apple. Hidden in the depths of the Marketplace, you'll find a teeny download called 'optional iPod support'. Once you've grabbed that, plug in your iPod (iPhones aren't supported yet, sadly) and head to the Media Blade. You'll see your pod appear there, and can now browse its music by album, artist, genre or whatever. It'll also charge via the USB port, usefully.
8. Reset your Xbox 360 video settings
Remember this one if you're in the habit of carrying your console to chum's houses and hooking it up to different displays. It can end up trying to output the wrong signal, so you can't see anything or get a flickering screen. Fortunately, there's a fairly simple fix if this happens. Remove any discs from the tray and turn the thing off. Then turn it on using a gamepad. As it boots, hold down the Y button, then hit and hold the right trigger. The video settings will reset to default, and you'll stop your sobbing.
9. Play any media file, plus online videos on your Xbox 360
Free app Tversity (http://tversity.com/)neatly sidesteps the pointless video/audio restrictions Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo alike slap on their consoles, making them able to play any format. Again, you'll need a PC on the same network, but it's a simple matter of installing the program and having it scan the folders you keep your media in. It'll replace the standard network file-sharing system Windows uses, but behaves pretty much the same way at the 360's end. As well as that, it'll convert unsupported files on the fly though you'll need a pretty beefy PC to do this with large video files, otherwise you'll be waiting ages. You can also add online video URLs on the PC's end including Youtube and then access those from the console.
10. Use any HDMI cable and still get digital surround sound
Though the newer 360s have an HDMI output for optimal video quality, they've built the ports in such a way that you can't have the standard component/composite video cable, with its crucial optical audio output, plugged in at the same time as HDMI. Instead, you're supposed to drop a frightening amount of money on the official HDMI cable with audio adapter. Balls to that. See the big plastic box at the end of the standard video cable that connects to the console? Wedge a knife or screwdriver into the join and twist to pop it off. The result looks messy, but is small enough to plug in alongside a standard, cheapo HDMI cable.

By Alec Meer

[[/URL][URL]http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/10-things-microsoft-doesn-t-tell-you-your-xbox-360-can-do-464200 (http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/10-things-microsoft-doesn-t-tell-you-your-xbox-360-can-do-464200%5D)]

InkedUp
09-30-2008, 06:23 PM
This is some good stuff. I knew about a couple, but not all 10. I bet a lot of people will find this interesting

Genesis x360a
09-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Nice list, I knew about a few because i have laptop hooked up to my 360 but not all of them :) *copys onto desktop for future reference*.

RFT 123
09-30-2008, 06:29 PM
I didn't know 8 out of those. Gotta remember them!

J.Waddo
09-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Wow! Never knew about the Ipod one, will be using mine on it from now on, thanks for posting this:woop:

Jamie Solo
09-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Now they can come in useful...

RXRob
09-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Nice guide. I'm getting a laptop soon so I'll have to remember this.

Phil709
09-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Weeks old? Not reading. Plain and simple. Just kidding. Useful list.

Royle
09-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Oh I was wondering why music wouldn't play while I was playing original Xbox games. Cheers for posting these. They will come in handy :)

Leb23ron
09-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Where do you go to get the ipod download?

Pheonix_Assassin
09-30-2008, 07:39 PM
I might do a video about these!

Skillet
09-30-2008, 10:11 PM
I knew you could drive the visualiser... but I don't know it was an actual program and that hooking up three more controllers let you control so much.

Nice find.

Tussell
09-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Too bad they link you to X Link Kai rather than XBConnect.

XBConnect is a much better Tunneling program. Hell, I can still get Halo 1 games goin', it's beautiful!

edd__
09-30-2008, 10:40 PM
ugh. ipod!
If only they had better support for other mp3 players. I plug mine in and can play all the files from it fine, and i normally just select Play All, but as soon as i load up a game, it just picks 100 and lumps me with them. And i can only sort them alphabetically, and as all my mp3s are listed with "Artist - Track", i always get lumped with solely one or two bands :|

o0 TommyGuns 0o
09-30-2008, 11:22 PM
some of those r pretty cool ideas ill definately be using the first one when friends comeover to play

Y0UNGERKILLER
09-30-2008, 11:29 PM
thanks for these are very useful

Female Ninja
09-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Wow thats cool, I only knew a few of those, thanks!

Eternal
09-30-2008, 11:57 PM
The wireless one is especially useful :)

Falcongale
10-01-2008, 03:29 AM
My 360 has been plug-and-play with my iPod from the get go. Handy for playing music over games and it charges it :)

Pheonix_Assassin
10-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Well if you like im doing a video series now about these trick and if u like u can sponsor it for free so really its free publicity what do u think

FlyBoy120586
10-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Well if you like im doing a video series now about these trick and if u like u can sponsor it for free so really its free publicity what do u think

Publicity for the site? cause I don't really need publicity myself

Asian47
10-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Connecting my 360 to my laptop is the only way I can get internet. To think, I almost bought a wireless adapter.

xBoricua Killax
10-01-2008, 04:23 PM
ONe thing i would like to know... the first one with the 2 TV's will i be able to do that and like play a split screen and have our own screen... I hate only seeing half of the screen...

Pheonix_Assassin
10-01-2008, 04:31 PM
right i did the first video here it is
YouTube - Xbox 360 Tricks: Episode 1 *Custom Game Invite*

xBoricua Killax
10-01-2008, 04:38 PM
PRICELESS ^^^ i am going to start doing that to people...

Lucent Beam
10-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Surprised I didn't know about the iPod support.

And I'll have to tell my sister about getting all videos to work.. she gets so frustrated sometimes streaming to her 360.

edd__
10-01-2008, 05:20 PM
@Pheonix Assassin - why the hell would you ruin a video like that with god awful music?

A mash-up of two already shit songs, amalgamated to make the singular yet even shitter song. My ears, they bleed.

Da CRU Mughhh
10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Nice list i knew about them all except 2.. I might have to try the 2 TV thing though..

Pheonix_Assassin
10-01-2008, 07:37 PM
well dont listen to it mate its called mute and put one of ur songs on its easy lol

Falcongale
10-01-2008, 09:12 PM
ONe thing i would like to know... the first one with the 2 TV's will i be able to do that and like play a split screen and have our own screen... I hate only seeing half of the screen...

It's literal daisy chaining, its what they use in TV shops to play the same image over more than TV such as a DVD etc.

Find the TV with the best picture quality and follow the tv's one by one and you will see they are all connected to each other and the further away you get from the master tv the worse the picture quality gets!

so the 2nd screen would look poop

billabong1484
12-14-2008, 07:05 PM
If I used my laptop as the wireless for my Xbox, would I still be able to plug an ethernet cable in my laptop for internet?

safc15
12-14-2008, 08:14 PM
right i did the first video here it is
YouTube - Xbox 360 Tricks: Episode 1 *Custom Game Invite* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-i1FYCT60A)

cool ill have to try this:woop:

DakidJose
12-14-2008, 08:46 PM
I download it the "optional media update" like a few days ago before this thread,I saw it on xbox.com but it never made my Ipod play songs.My Ipod use to played songs before the NXE but they don't play any more.I tried my Ipod Video and Ipod Touch and neither of them work.Anybody know why??

HacksawDoomx187
12-14-2008, 08:53 PM
neat tricks. Thanks for posting. I'll have to try a few out one of these days:).

Malikkr
12-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Nice, I will definitley use the first one and am going to go download that iPod thing now. Thanks

wammy71
12-15-2008, 04:19 AM
I've heard of about 1/2 of these. Some good on there none the less.

Ypuh
12-15-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm definatly going to try the 2 screen option on my next XBox party, sounds cool :).

MrMario2011
12-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Nice! Thanks, I already knew how to do some of these.

FlyBoy120586
12-16-2008, 02:31 AM
I downloaded the optional media update a long time ago but every time I try to play some songs (protected songs to be exact) through my Zune it says that "an update is required to play the selected song." So, I have to go in an download the update again for it to work. If I turn my 360 off and then turn it back on and try to play music, it says that I need to download the update again to play protected songs. Even then, in the midst of a playlist, it will skip tracks (even ones are aren't protected content) and refuse to play them until I download the update again. This gets really annoying so I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and/or how to fix it...

Bababoof
12-16-2008, 02:52 AM
I've known about some of these and I've seen this list before. Some cool secrets

Closed Gate
12-16-2008, 04:14 AM
a little thing from microsoft came with my 360, in it's box there was a thing saying i could dload a plugin to play ipod music

SynysterMonkey
12-16-2008, 04:21 AM
7 of these were very helpful. Thanks for the tips. Sticky?

FourChan
12-16-2008, 07:06 AM
I love hooking my Zune up to it, for me iPods are too Cliche' but yeah it's great for gaming and music instead of having a stereo going like I used to have.

Gilian85
12-24-2008, 05:03 AM
Nicely done m8

Martin237
12-24-2008, 06:15 PM
thanks for this im getting a laptop soon and this will be super helpfull

Dysitis
01-06-2009, 06:04 AM
So where do you find the ipod download?

FonduYouLoveMe
01-06-2009, 06:15 AM
Read the original post, if you go to game downloads, find Optional Ipod Download or something along those lines and download, but it does not work all the time for myself either

dakisbac
01-06-2009, 12:59 PM
I had a link to that article a long time ago :)

TVersity doesn't work for me anymore though :(