PDA

View Full Version : Will you play alot of video games when you're old?

WRETCHES
10-01-2008, 01:44 AM
I've always told myself that there must be more to life than video games. But I haven't really found it. There are three reasons why I will probably keep playing them...

1. Even if I spend my whole life playing video games...it wasn't wasted because nothing is more fun.

2. I'm addicted.

3. When your old and tired, isn't that the best time to play games?

YoungFate
10-01-2008, 01:57 AM
I was playing video games before I could walk...

I still be playing after I wont be able to walk

Im a gamer for life...Nothing will ever change that

Jae Brav
10-01-2008, 02:09 AM
I'm going to be a gamer for life.

I tried to give it up for a while. After I got my Dreamcast I didn't buy another console until about 2004 with the Xbox. Up until the Dreamcast I had almost every system you could think of.

Part of the reason was because my fiance thought it was "childish" to play video games. Well....as you can imagine that bitch got the boot and I welcomed gaming back with loving arms and I enjoy even more than I did before I stopped.

Blackjaw x
10-01-2008, 02:15 AM
Hell no.

I only ever play them because I have nothing else to do.

Now that I have a car and a job I don't play them anymore, just like I expected. When I'm older and have more freedom, I won't play at all. I'll be an outdoorsman. Or something.

o0 TommyGuns 0o
10-01-2008, 02:29 AM
well im pretty addicted right now i doubt i will probably play games when im older but not near as much as i do now

Deadly Moves
10-01-2008, 02:35 AM
Life is for living in my opinion.
So do what makes you happy. Unless what makes you happy is illegal... lol

I've been gaming ever since i could hold a controller.. Late 80's
I'm 27 now and can't ever imagine not playing video games..!!!
But i suppose they'll be a day when i have to stop. I'll only stop when i cant physically play anymore though.. lol

she haunts me
10-01-2008, 02:45 AM
"Will you play a lot of video games when you're old?"

Hell yes...

Can't imagine not playing video games. There are times where I won't play for about a month, but I'll never stop.

xI C0uch P0tat0
10-01-2008, 02:45 AM
I definitely will but I don't want to be surrounded by them. I want to have a nice job, house, wife, etc.

Missis Beki
10-01-2008, 03:06 AM
Simple answer: YEAH!
Ive always gamed but never seriously even if it was back when i was 4 years old playing "oh mummy" for the spectrum (super old) so i will always game when im older, even if its "mega loads more omg guess what more brain training" for the ds super slim or something like that.
games will always be around and whilever they are i'll play them.
I wont just play all my life i mean there are other things i wana do but yeah i will

CyanideBreathMint
10-01-2008, 03:11 AM
At least define old! I just turned 36 in September and if that's classified as old, then my posting here should be answer enough (and hopefully encouragement?). Raising an 11 yr. old that's into gaming (but still loves to read...thank God!) and his younger 7 yr. old brother is starting to get in on the action.

Thankfully we have all 3 systems to split up around the house too. How old are you yourself by the way...you never did state that and I'm curious to know.

Peace
10-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Yes, I do!

Assassin 10k
10-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Well since Fallout 3 is almost here and it will probably be the end of my life then hell yes i will! Either way I'll play games till the day I die.

EnterTheFray
10-01-2008, 07:47 AM
im guessing this willbe me in like 70 years!!....(opersite sex tho)

YouTube - Grandma Plays Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (XBox 360)

TatteredRagDoll
10-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Define "old."

I'm 23, and that is considered by some to be old in gaming terms.

I've been gaming since I was a kid, and hope to be gaming for many years to come. Though if the gaming industry keeps going in the direction it is, I may have to rely on older games to quench my gaming thirst. Games today are expensive. They're too expensive for the amount of sub-par games soiling the market.

As long as they continue to make good quality games, I'll keep gaming.

v_thorne
10-01-2008, 09:19 AM
I will be a gamer from the cradle to the grave.

I played Mario first when I was 3 years old. And then MK2 when I was 5. And I haven't stopped since, and unless I lose my eyesight I don't see why I would stop.

im guessing this willbe me in like 70 years!!....(opersite sex tho)

Hahaha, that was great! I love how she curses just because she forgot to put away her sword.

Deathblow23
10-01-2008, 02:40 PM
At least define old! I just turned 36 in September and if that's classified as old, then my posting here should be answer enough (and hopefully encouragement?). Raising an 11 yr. old that's into gaming (but still loves to read...thank God!) and his younger 7 yr. old brother is starting to get in on the action.

Thankfully we have all 3 systems to split up around the house too. How old are you yourself by the way...you never did state that and I'm curious to know.

This is an easy one. I'll be 33 in December and I can't see me putting them down, EVER! Here's what I think is the issue. People, even those who play games now,...have this perception that they are something that are somewhat childish...or that it's at least something that people do when they are young, and that they will eventually outgrow them. My question is why do you think they are something you outgrow? Most people don't see that there has been huge shift. Games are a form of media, just like music, tv, movies, magazines, etc. That being said...why would you not think of this new form of media as something that you can and would engage in past as certain age? Do you outgrow the newspaper? Better yet...why read the newspaper at all if you're NOT 70 years old, retired, and willing to hang out down at the local mom and pop coffee shop every Monday morning with ol' Fred and all the geriatrics who wanna talk about the mayor's new proposal to the city council on the court house restoration project? Because of perception.

The same can be said for comic books. Those who read them faithfully will be happy to tell you that there is subject matter in many series that is in NO WAY intended for children under 18. It is the perception of comic books that keeps people who never read them...from STARTING to read them.

The same can be said for games. Sooooooooo many people think that they are for kids, it is that same old stereotypical perception that they are something people do when they are young, or relatively young. What people don't realize is that games are the evolution of the tv. No longer do you have to sit there and watch someone act...or watch someone else do something. I don't have to watch the History channel and see how the American soldiers handled the Nazis...I can play COD 2 and friggin' BE THAT SOLDIER...I CAN PARTICIPATE!!! I don't have to watch the Sci Fi Channel for a cool story...I can play Mass Effect and impact a whole galaxy's worth of lives. Once you realize that...and experience it a few times,...why would you ever look at tv as the best source for entertainment again? Better yet...why would you ever think of games as something that is just keeping you occupied for the time being...while you're young? Do you honestly think that games aren't going to get any better? I am blown away by the possibilities in the future with games. They will only get better with time. There are stories to be told and universes to be expanded upon that will trump anything that could be brought to the tv...or the movies for that matter.

There is an article that was in Official XBOX Mag 2 months ago. It was on the last page and it was written by Todd Howard...who works for Bethesda Software...they make Oblivion and the upcoming Fallout 3. He argued this very point. I would highly recommend it.

Keytta
10-01-2008, 02:50 PM
I am 41 and game more now than ever. I have the resources to buy the games I want and have done my share of school and crawling up the proverbial ladder. I have met more nice people through this site and online than I do in the general public. Walk into a room full of strangers and strike up a conversation compare the response to that of signing into a game lobby. I am in no way advocating for total vertual submersion, just pointing out the positive nature of the online world.

VeNGeD
10-01-2008, 03:00 PM
I can't see myself not gaming, I think I will be gameing for the rest of my life.

Female Ninja
10-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't think I could ever stop! It's too much fun. :D

I will play games till I die. Maybe even more.

xXI A ROD IXx
10-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Im not sure if I will play games when Im old. It all depends on how God has laid out my life ahead of me. Only time will tell.

chefnegative
10-01-2008, 06:40 PM
i will skool my kid and his friends

Raven1709
10-01-2008, 06:54 PM
I love to play, but will I do this when I'm old and retired? Who knows, maybe in 30 years this doesn't excised anymore, and we will all do the best thing then.

CovertDog
10-01-2008, 07:33 PM
From USAToday.com in 2004,

In fact, the average age of game players was 29 and the average age of buyers was 36, with men making up 59% of the playing audience.

From Newmedia Journalism in 2006,

Close to 40 percent of gameplayers last year were female and nearly 19 percent of those women were 45 or older.
25 percent of gamers in homes with an interactive entertainment device were over the age of 50 in 2005.
The average age of gameplayers is 33.

From Calgary Harold in 2007,

Parr says the average age and gender of a gamer hasn't changed all that much, with a 38-62 per cent female-male gender split, and an average age of 33.

The whole preception that gamers are all teenagers is completely wrong. They are just the ones screaming in your ear on live so they get noticed more. The question will soon be, "Did you play video games when you were young?":p

Mr Deftino
10-01-2008, 07:39 PM
1. I grew up on them so definately
2. I don't think the human race will be here by the time 2070 comes
3. How can you not play games? lol

Lucent Beam
10-01-2008, 08:48 PM
I am 23 and still play games.
Which may seem young... but I was a middle school teacher in a public school when I was 21 (now I'm a Pre-K through 12 teacher at a private school), and I guess I feel older because I'm surrounded by co-workers that are all 35+. Until I have kids, this is as "adult" as my life is going to get obviously, and I still make time to play games.

It's funny... yesterday my principal was talking to me about how my classes were going and I told him good but I'm really busy and he said "Well, just make sure you make time for Guitar Hero... or what was it?" And I said "Guitar Hero or Rock Band". I had to laugh... my students know I play a lot of RB so it's kind of the "talk of the school" apparently enough for the principal to tell me to make sure I maintain free time to play it!

OzzieDreamer
10-01-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm old already, lol! I love games more than ever as the graphics have improved and most games are playable online, where they weren't before. My goal is to be Old Grandma Hardcore in a couple of decades!

Mr Arrow
10-01-2008, 09:46 PM
1. Even if I spend my whole life playing video games...it wasn't wasted because nothing is more fun.

Spoken like someone who hasn't discovered the opposite sex yet. :eek:

Im a gamer for life...Nothing will ever change that

Never say never.

As one of the oldest gamers here I'm going to chime in.
I love video games just as much as anyone here and enjoy them so much more than movies or TV. With a wife of 21 years, 2 awesome kids (12 & 14) and my own business to run, I have to keep my life in balance.

I am looking forward to what the video game industry will come up with in the future, but not at the expense of my family.

Keano
10-01-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm 14 so i really can't say if I will play video games when I'm old. It all depends on how the future pans out. At some point I will stop because I will have a life and be too busy for video games.

Keytta
10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
As one of the oldest gamers here I'm going to chime in.
I love video games just as much as anyone here and enjoy them so much more than movies or TV. With a wife of 21 years, 2 awesome kids (12 & 14) and my own business to run, I have to keep my life in balance.

I am looking forward to what the video game industry will come up with in the future, but not at the expense of my family.

Gaming is like any other hobbie, it is an activity not a way of life. Excess in anything can become addictive or obsessive. Mr. Arrow has expressed what is know as a truism in the addiction world, when something is being done to the point that it negatively affects a persons life and yet they do not stop, than is becoming an addicition. My gaming hours are directly proportionate to the needs of my family and job. Maybe once my kids leave the next I can join GSL again!

Keytta
10-01-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm old already, lol! I love games more than ever as the graphics have improved and most games are playable online, where they weren't before. My goal is to be Old Grandma Hardcore in a couple of decades!

Where were you when I started the "Over 40" thread, only Mr. Arrow joined in to support me!

wstussyb
10-02-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm 33 and been gaming since 1982.
I'm married, have my own house, blah blah blah, at the end of the day video games are a escape, you don't worry about Bills, or what pissing your wife off this time, people who say they will drop games, I highly doubt it, I did drop games for a while after the ps1-ps2 era, I would say 98-2001 (major clubbing days) even then I was playing the NCAA-Madden tournament's with friends at some parties for who pays for beer.
Now days after work, before the wife comes homes, or when she works on weekends (I have weekends off, while she works Saturday, since she has Wed off) there is really not much to do, and video games are a great way to pass time, lots of my co-workers and friends enjoy games as well.

RaidenX49
10-02-2008, 12:50 AM
I will still play them, but not nearly as much as I do now. Once I get a car and am old enough to drive I doubt I'll touch much games. Once I get alot older and settle down my life I'll probably come back to playing them again.

ITD Soldierboy
10-02-2008, 01:19 AM
I love to game. Life is getting a little more busier, so I won't be on all day everyday, but at least I'll know it'll always be there, for when I feel like playing, or relaxing. Shit when I hang out with friends, we game. Sure, we do go outside and play sports, like just last Saturday, I went to my bud's house, and we played football with his brother for about two-three hours, and then we went inside, watched Mallrats, and then played Madden 08 on his PS2.

I will always game.

Tuber Man 4
10-02-2008, 01:29 AM
i am 25 and loveing playing video games. I will be playing them for the rest of my life

Tubson57
10-02-2008, 01:34 AM
I have been playing video games since I was 5 and I still am playing now that I am 18. I thought that when my life got busy with a job and college that I would put down video games and focus on more important matters. What I found out was that I am never going to be too busy to not have any down time to blow on these new and well designed games. Unless my life does a complete 180 on me (knock on wood) I am going to continue to play for pleasure.

Jim Ignatowski
10-02-2008, 05:16 AM
I can remember playing Lazer Blast for the Atari 2600 on Christmas Day back in 1980 (might be off by a year or two) for 6 hours straight. Now I play with my 6 year old son who constantly begs me to go play 'Cassel Cwashers' with him. I think the crazy little nugget wants to beat the insane mode. Anyhoo, once a gamer always a gamer.

master_shake_350
10-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Yer I will probably play games when im older.

v SnOwMaN v
10-02-2008, 08:29 AM
I probably will be playing till I am old. Not sure about age though.

onimod13
10-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Ill still be gaming no doubt even with the arthritis in my hands that prevents me from doing most other things ill still try hold a gamepad, the glucoma that probably gonna take my sight in later years may be an issue though.

That being said who knows i may be classed as old now and be hit by a bus tomorrow so....

hoernchen
10-02-2008, 12:08 PM
So the question would be, what do you mean by old? ;)

I'm in my mid 20's and i'm gaming way more than most people my age. Can't see stopping with gaming in the next 10-15 years, because i've been playing PC and Consoles since i was 4 or so and that got me hooked badly.

Dunno what will be when i'm 50-60 (if i get that old), but i guess once a real gamer, always a gamer, even if it only will be Digital Crossword Puzzle or something...

checkahh
10-02-2008, 12:54 PM
I dont think ill be playing games when, im like 25 or so, im 18 now and i enjoy playing games, i played them for 10 years now, but when im older, ill have enough to do with my job and family etc.

Steelhead
10-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I'll be 37 in a few months and I still play every day.

InkedUp
10-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Hell yes I will. I love gaming. Every once in a while I'll get tired of it, but I take a small break, maybe a week or two, and then I'm back at it again

gamergirl11
10-02-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm playing on playing games as long as there are good games to play! My boyfriend and I have always said we will play games with our children inbetween school, homework, and extra-curriculars. A lot of games are becoming much more family orientated, which is good, but also a lot of games are geared towards the 'older' gamer (18+ or so). I plan on never stopping :)

Da CRU Mughhh
10-02-2008, 03:07 PM
LOL i have been playing Video games since my parents put NES in my hands. when i was 4 i think... since then i have own so many consoles, and games. I can't see that I'll stop playing. I might slow down once i hit 100k. And I'll be 24 in January, and that is getting old:(

FSK BigHurt
10-02-2008, 07:58 PM
I've been playing videogames since I was 8 years old, now 20 years later I still play 'em. Of course, not as much as I would like to, as work and other commitments needs my attention now. But I try to sneak away and play as much as I can. When I was 18 I got a job as a videogame journalist, and since then I've worked in many different positions in the Norwegian gamingindustry.

I also collect videogames, from when I was a kid and of course next-gen games as well. I can't see myself in the future with no connection to videogames, it's a big part of my life, and I would never give it up.

Peace
10-03-2008, 01:03 AM
I don't think I could ever stop! It's too much fun. :D

I will play games till I die. Maybe even more.

That would be a neat trick... even for a ninja!

AK47Ra1der
10-03-2008, 03:23 AM
No I won't be playing as much, when I get a job and car I will be gone all the time.

sinista12
10-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Of course I will be old and playing games...r u crazy. I still have my nes and snes from when I was little. I am 23 and married. My husband loves games and we love playing together. What else am I gonna have to do when I get old and can't get around much. The only thing that will stop me is arthritis in my hands. I've slowed down playing due to the kids and responabilities, but I will NEVER stop.

Y0UNGERKILLER
10-03-2008, 05:28 PM
dam right i will be playing games even when im in my coffin its being buried with me lol

wammy71
10-03-2008, 09:31 PM
I definitely will still be playing games when I'm older. I'm excited to see how technology changes and what games will become. :p

The Showdown13
10-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm 37 now and hell yeah, I will be playing the newest game system by whoever when I'm in the freaking nursing home.

BillyBobJoe7478
10-03-2008, 09:58 PM
hell no music is way better than video games since i got my guitar i play my xbox wayyyy less and when i get better at guitar xbox will be a thing of the past u nerds shouldd really get outside

EvilestBean
10-03-2008, 10:05 PM
I will never give up, I love gameing enough said lol.

Shadownage
10-03-2008, 10:10 PM
For sure, I will pwn the young ones.

MythosEngineer
10-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Me mum and dad played video games when I were wee, and I played before I could walk, as did me sisters and brothers. Parents still play video games and I am well sure I will die with a controller (or VR device) stuck to me =) Gamer for life~

MyAbsolution
10-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Lets just say I will be buried with an xbox 360 inside my casket with me...

Wanstall99
10-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Lets just say I will be buried with an xbox 360 inside my casket with me...
me 2 lol ..

Luke19
10-14-2008, 04:51 PM
I'll still play games when i get older but not as much as i do now. I've been playing games since i was 5 and have been hooked on them ever since, but there will come a time when other things in my life become more important than gaming.

Dodgekfc
10-14-2008, 06:18 PM
ya i will keep playing but when i get a job i can get more games but i will
kinda slow down on playing but will never put the controller down

Skillet
10-14-2008, 06:34 PM
I think it mostly depends on if we ever actually grow out of them or not. Some people remain kids for ages... mentally speaking.

Sometimes, I think I'll never stop playing games. Other times, I never want to touch a controller again.

J.Waddo
10-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Hell Yeah!!!! Probaly not as much as I do now, but Ill never stop!!!!:p

PatrickTheKing
10-15-2008, 03:55 AM
I really don't think I will to be honest.
I enjoy gaming now, but not as much as I did when I was younger and I can only see myself getting distant from gaming as the years roll on.
Who knows though... I might find something that keeps me entertained for many years to come.

Kwyjibo3637
10-15-2008, 05:13 AM
Hard to say. I certainly hope not..I'd like to be the cool dad who plays games with his kids.

aussie_warrior117
10-15-2008, 05:57 AM
I will keep going yes but recently I have limited my playing to abaout 5 hours per week for last couple of months. After I'm 24 that's when my partying will have recahed my peak probably and then it's a bit downhill because your brain starts to decline at that age lol
But I'll also be buried with a Gears Of War 1, 2 and 3 case :D

newbsicle
10-15-2008, 06:59 AM
I dunno, girls do a pretty good job of changing me. When I'm married and with kids it won't seem possible. I wanna give everything in a relationship, and playing video games during my limited private time is not high on my list.

jakekh1983
10-15-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm 25 and gaming more than before. I have a wife and a three year old. She doesn't mind it as long as I still do things with her, and in a couple more years my son and I will game it up together. I really hope there isn't a time where video games aren't fun anymore.

Ketchup Killer
10-15-2008, 01:25 PM
I am 23 and don't plan on stopping gaming anytime soon. Me and my fiance play together and when we have kids I am sure they will play right along with us.

knockton55
10-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Im sure I dont want to stop gaming :D! I actually played Oblvion with my Girlfreind abit a few weeks ago, and I let her play on Viva Pinata, she enjoyed that :)

So yeah, I never plan on stopping, im just getting started!

Dr. twinkletits
10-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Describe old?
If im 40 probably not cuz i'll be busy with working and stuff.
If im 60 though... thats another story :).
If i don't forget what im doing i'll probably game all day after i retire. Nothing else to do, old people don't have anything else to do but annoy other people.

gatorbait
10-15-2008, 05:27 PM
I always plan on at least playing. There are certain things in life that I don't think it matters what age you are, it is still fun and video games will never go away. There will certainly be the ups and the downs but I plan on keeping up with video games even after I get married and have a family. It almost seems like some people just played them because they had nothing better to do and now that they have a job and whatnot they don't 'need' video games. With all of the choices and decisions we have in life it will always be nice to know that video games will still be there to bring out the kid in us again.

FoxRacing1234
10-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Depends on what I end up doing. If I end up really getting into touring full time then I don't think I'll have the time or be able to even play on the road, unless I'm touring with a large headlining band where they have a nice tour bus. :)

Royle
10-15-2008, 07:49 PM
I will casual game only play on weekends soon but I will always be up for a game on CoD4 when I am like 80 :p