PDA

View Full Version : Desperate NAT help.

Smithaveli
10-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Alright, I am quite tech savvy. Yet, no matter what solution I attempt, my NAT remains STRICT. Which is a very BAD thing. A lot of times I am excluded from games in CoD4, because 5/6 people in our party can connect ot the host. Myself being the 6th person who gets the error "Cannot Connect to Host"

it actually happens alot. It even stops me from even attempting to JOIN THE PARTY, before they even launch the matchmaking. These people are on my friends list, mid you, but for some reason, our connections don't want to meet, unless theres a go between. For example, ABC play together, but if B makes the party isntead of A, C cannot join, and if C makes the party, B cannot join. Get it?

Anyways, I have assigned a static IP to my Xbox, and have opened the suggested ports; 88 UDP, 3074 UDP/TCP. No worky.

I have assigned my Xbox a static IP and used the DMZ option on my router to make the Xbox my DMZ. No worky.

I have turned on the UPnP setting on my router. No worky.

Yes, I tried all of these individually, because I AM aware that complications occur if I try to port forward while theres a DMZ active, or if I try to port Forward while UPnP is active and all that good stuff.

The thing is, my problem continues to persist, no matter what solution I try. So my only solution is that im not veyr tech savvy, and im missing a very key step here. I've been to Portforward.com, so please do not direct me there, as whatever they are telling me to do, I am following to an exact T.

So if anyone here can be generous enough to give me a step by step exact detail on how they got their NAT open, I would HUGELY appreciate it.

Tubson57
10-03-2008, 01:48 PM
I had the NAT problem a while back, and I solved it with port forwarding quickly. I'm no tech guy so I can't help much, but do you think it has something to do with the router you are using, whether it is old or not very compatible?

Smithaveli
10-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Actually I've been wanting to invest in a new router for quite a while now, but just don't have the cashpile to do so. I'm living with 2 other roomates, and my girlfriend, so we have 4 computers running, and my 360 off a WRT54GS Lynksis router.

I'm really not quite sure what I'm do wrong, because back in the day when I was living alone, all I had was my xbox and computer, and I was able to open ports up perfectly for torrenting and XBL.

The only difference I see from past and present, besides router type, is that my computer and 360 are now wireless and the fact that there are now 5 items instead of 2, but I don't really think that has anything to do with it..

EnterTheFray
10-03-2008, 01:54 PM
try to open the ports in the firewall?

Control Panel -> Windows Firewall ->Exceptions-> Add Port

could be as simple as that.

Edit: ahh wireless...any chance you have it set up so the ethernet cable goes in the back of the computer then your computer sends out the wireless single?

Smithaveli
10-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I've completely shut off all my firewalls, actually; Windows and Mcafree.

Nope, PCI-E card for the wireless.

EnterTheFray
10-03-2008, 02:01 PM
how is the 360 set up? like how does it get internet?

Smithaveli
10-03-2008, 02:03 PM
I used to have it wired to the router, but just recently got the wireless adapter for my birthday.

EnterTheFray
10-03-2008, 02:11 PM
:( werid, the wireless adapter isnt really ment to have trouble.. only thing i can think of is set the xbox's ip address outside the DHCP

Smithaveli
10-03-2008, 02:13 PM
I guess I'm not fullly understanding DMZ then. Fro what i read, I thought I was supos to set the DMZ to one of the static IPs i have set up. Like right now my computer ip ends in 185, so I'd go to the DMZ tab and enter 185 in the last slot, right?

but then what are you suggesting I change the last number in my 360s ip to?

EnterTheFray
10-03-2008, 02:21 PM
some xbox's nats need to be outside the dmz .. so try 186. only thing i can think of .. then im out of ideas .. not the best at porting

edit: sorry, mean DHCP not dmz

Smithaveli
10-03-2008, 02:23 PM
oh yeah, I already made suer its out of the DCHP :)

EnterTheFray
10-03-2008, 02:25 PM
im out of ideas then dude :( sorry, hope someone can help you.

Smithaveli
10-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Wow the absolute simplest of solutions just worked. I restored my router to facotry defaults, negating any and all tinkering I've done.. enabled UPnP.. and bam.. open nat..

sigh. Curse me for trying the difficult strategies first.

Strongly appreciate your help though. It helped bouncing ideas back and forth.

EnterTheFray
10-03-2008, 02:33 PM
haha...just serched the net and read that someone just reset the nat and it work .. i was about to post it :p hahaha...lmao .. ahh well atleast your got it :)