PDA

View Full Version : Free Rental's Tip to ALL

Tailz
10-03-2008, 02:25 PM
I was in my local library today and i noticed that they had a Video Game section. I browsed the titles and noticed it had some GREAT titles.

Madden 09
NBA 2K8
Viva Pinata
Viva Pinata Party Animals
Viva Pinata TiP
Halo 3
MLB2K8
Sega Superstars Tennis

Now all these are free rentals for 7 days (At my library). Every little bit of money helps these days towards hefty gas prices.

-Craig

Daywalker-san
10-03-2008, 02:34 PM
UK or US? i may have to go check out the selection

Chaosflare
10-03-2008, 02:39 PM
I gotta go to the library?!

Dammit. I was hoping to never have to walk into that evil place. T_T

Slarak
10-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Was this a university library or a down the street city library? I haven't stepped foot in one in years so I'd like to know before burning my eyes upon entry.

Tailz
10-03-2008, 02:53 PM
It was a public city library! i was shocked as well! I expected it to have some crap, but it had some great games!

Smithaveli
10-03-2008, 02:59 PM
rent games for free.. at a library..

I just cant believe that. Do you know how many books I've ripped off from Libraries? keep sending those late fee bills, I aint givin the books back.. >.>

Glowin Smurff
10-03-2008, 03:15 PM
eventually they can send it to a claims agent for collections....and guy whose saying the library is rent games, where are you from USA, UK, AU? and state would be helpful i know my library here doesn't rent games, but some people might be able to take advantage if u could give a little more info.

i rent my dvd's from the library though :)

Chaosflare
10-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Guess I gotta go figure out where the libraries are in Staten Island.

Maybe I should check the library when I get out of PSY 100 today.

Tailz
10-03-2008, 03:34 PM
eventually they can send it to a claims agent for collections....and guy whose saying the library is rent games, where are you from USA, UK, AU? and state would be helpful i know my library here doesn't rent games, but some people might be able to take advantage if u could give a little more info.

i rent my dvd's from the library though :)

US, i live in West Palm Beach. You don't keep the game silly, but they are free rentals that will save you money.

Smithaveli
10-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I know you don't get to KEEP the game.. but there are pletny fo Books I've kept.. mainly because I keep putting it off and putting it off.. and then eventually forgetting. I have about 4 books that are roughly 8 months overdue from a library in a differnt state cuz I moved.. lol

But I spos a library would take more action against a consistantly overdue 60$ game than a overdue 10$ book..

Tailz
10-03-2008, 03:48 PM
They are donated items. They probably don't do that.

Smithaveli
10-03-2008, 03:51 PM
West Palm beach is close.. hopefulyl my library does the same.. I've wanted to rent NFL 09 for a while, but im a bit sketchy. Mainly because I've only been able to get into NBA games.. NFL games seem to make it so you must know the ins and outs of everything football related to play.. while NBA.. i can just run around and shoot withotu knowing all the special plays and such.

OzzieDreamer
10-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I'll have to check this out... I live in Mass and use the library all the time. Most of them are online. If you have a card, all you have to do is log on online, request what you want and they will call or e-mail you when they come in. Good stuff! If you don't like to read, they have DVD's and CD's too.

punker
10-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Hmm, I know for a fact that my local library only carries movies. Maybe I'll have to check out some other libraries in the immediate area.

And on the subject of the overdue books: A lot of cities around the nation are cracking down on unpaid fees, and will absolutely turn your fines over to debt collectors... negatively impacting your attempts to buy a car, rent an apartment, etc.

SkaKid25
10-03-2008, 05:58 PM
My doesn't rent video games for 360 but you can rent Wii console with the Wii Sports. It's always out so unless you request to have it on hold for you it's hard to get.

Ryot Control
10-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Hmm, I know for a fact that my local library only carries movies. Maybe I'll have to check out some other libraries in the immediate area.

And on the subject of the overdue books: A lot of cities around the nation are cracking down on unpaid fees, and will absolutely turn your fines over to debt collectors... negatively impacting your attempts to buy a car, rent an apartment, etc.

There was this guy in San Diego who actually got arrested for an over night stay due to 6 months of non-payment of library dues. He owed something around 13 bucks... I wish I had the article handy.

Asian47
10-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I remember seeing a library in Orlando with a few games to rent, I only wish my library rented games as well.

o0 TommyGuns 0o
10-03-2008, 08:42 PM
thats awsome but i doubt they will have games at the libraries in my city but i will definately be checking thanks for posting this

Parkerktm
10-08-2008, 12:03 AM
It was a public city library! i was shocked as well! I expected it to have some crap, but it had some great games!

Well i have to go up to the HS and Post office, and the library is in between so i'll stop in and see what i can find. Driving a truck that gets 6MPG, every penny counts :(.

Great Idea Btw!

Keytta
10-08-2008, 01:10 AM
They just showed a girl on the news that was arrested and convicted for not returnig a book after 8 months. They showed multiple attempts to get it from her and she kept blowing them off so they prosecuted and one.

Just a reminder for the few above that this applies to...taking and keeping something that is not yours is STEALING. Justify it all you want, in the end it is still wrong.

The Phat Todd
10-08-2008, 01:14 AM
Thanks very helpful

wubb
10-08-2008, 02:23 AM
You have a great library!

gatorbait
10-08-2008, 03:58 AM
Man, I haven't been to a public library in quite some time. I don't even know where to look for where the video games might be and I bet I'd look dumb if I asked the librarian there where they were only to find out that they don't rent out video games.

SeiferA
10-08-2008, 04:09 AM
You found this deal at a LIBRARY?

This... is kinda odd. I mean, I found it odd when I saw they offered VHS tapes long ago, but video game rentals?

I'm going to check either way at our local library for the heck of it, but... wow...

XgreybearX
10-08-2008, 04:12 AM
Yeah I just found this out a couple months ago when I moved. It's nice for short games, but I hate to rent rpg's for only a week. Too little time.

[Waggly Bean]
10-08-2008, 09:47 AM

I just cant believe that. Do you know how many books I've ripped off from Libraries? keep sending those late fee bills, I aint givin the books back.. >.>
That's a real shitty thing to do....

UK or US? i may have to go check out the selection
I used to get CDs from the library many years ago, so I suppose it could happen. But that was Birmingham Central Library, and that place is massive! :)

I doubt it would happen in many places though, certain people would probably just steal them.... ruining it for everyone! :(

wubb
10-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Did a check (online anyway) and mine doesn't have any video games. Does have DVDs but mostly documentaries.

Peace
10-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Damn! I wish I hadn't burned down my local library! I thought they just had books...

MinPinz
10-09-2008, 02:23 AM
must be nice...our library system doesn't have games, although I've probably burned about half of their CD's onto my laptop.

scarface
10-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Awww...you have cool libraries. Kind of surprising that a library would have videogames though.

Strongbad107
10-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah I just found this out a couple months ago when I moved. It's nice for short games, but I hate to rent rpg's for only a week. Too little time.

I would assume that you could just renew the games, just as any book or movie that you got. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Closed Gate
10-10-2008, 04:01 AM
Wow, that's an awesome library. Your lucky to get the newly released books at my library.

Dodgekfc
10-10-2008, 04:48 AM
sweet have to check this out

los carnales
10-10-2008, 07:27 PM
US, i live in West Palm Beach. You don't keep the game silly, but they are free rentals that will save you money.

I checked The West Palm Beach Public Library Catalog and you are right. They do have a 125 video game collection. Most of them are old but they do have some recent releases. This is good information and good to know. I'll stop by some time to see what I can get my hands on for a week or so.

Pond cat
10-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Wow a library discussion thread! :p

If there were games in my local library then I've of obviously walked into the wrong building as thats never going to happen!

Keano
10-10-2008, 11:42 PM
I remember my library used to rent game. Most of them were pretty old though and you had to pay something like 3 for one night which is crap. They updated the libraary a few years ago and I think they stopped renting games.

Also, it's much easier to get free trials from LOVEFiLM.

CyanideBreathMint
10-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Do you know how many books I've ripped off from Libraries? keep sending those late fee bills, I aint givin the books back.. >.>
X360A should award an Asshat Award just for knobs gobblers like you.

IMAMEX
10-11-2008, 12:00 AM
X360A should award an Asshat Award just for knobs gobblers like you.

c'mon! Are you telling me that you don't think bragging about stealing books from a library is cool? Cause if so, then I agree.

IMAMEX
10-11-2008, 12:03 AM
and I just checked my library and all they have are prima video game strategy guides.