PDA

View Full Version : RRoD & Circuit City...

Slarak
10-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Ok before I go on a rampage at Circuit City I wanted to see if anyone has gone through this situation. I purchased a 2 year warranty for my elite 14 months ago, so obviously I'm still covered. I received the RRoD last night while trying to play GoW and it has not been able to start up no matter what.

After skimming the the protection plan info off of the Circuit City website it says it recommends I send it to Microsoft so that they can repair it. Okay if this is their solution then why the hell did I spend an extra $100 on a 2 year plan that serves no purpose? So what my question is if anyone else has gone through this problem what did CC do for you? Did they allow you to replace your system at the store, give you a gift card for the amount purchased, or just tell you to send it to Microsoft?

Keeping in mind that I do still have the original box and reciept. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Daywalker-san
10-03-2008, 03:01 PM
How do you know what the hell a red ring is? Play them and just say its broke and you dont know why, if you kick up a big enough fuss im sure something will get done

Glowin Smurff
10-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Ok before I go on a rampage at Circuit City I wanted to see if anyone has gone through this situation. I purchased a 2 year warranty for my elite 14 months ago, so obviously I'm still covered. I received the RRoD last night while trying to play GoW and it has not been able to start up no matter what.

After skimming the the protection plan info off of the Circuit City website it says it recommends I send it to Microsoft so that they can repair it. Okay if this is their solution then why the hell did I spend an extra $100 on a 2 year plan that serves no purpose? So what my question is if anyone else has gone through this problem what did CC do for you? Did they allow you to replace your system at the store, give you a gift card for the amount purchased, or just tell you to send it to Microsoft?

Keeping in mind that I do still have the original box and reciept. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

more then likely this is what will happen, they will send it to either there service department, or to a 3rd party service or perhaps even to M$. this is something you need to read about in the brochure they should haven given you at time of purchase of this 'extended' warranty...they might do an in-store exchange, they will not do a gift-card though.

After 30 Days from Product Purchase Date: You may go to www.circuitcity.com/protectionplan (http://www.circuitcity.com/protectionplan) to initiate Your claim for service electronically or if You do not have Internet access, You may call the Administrator at 1-800-871-2761.
You will be required to return ship the defective Product, along with the owner’s manual/instructions, all accessories and parts, as a condition of receiving a replacement. If available, please use the original box and packing materials to ship Your defective Product. You can either download and print a pre-paid shipping label online at www.circuitcity.com/protectionplan (http://www.circuitcity.com/protectionplan) or if You do not have internet access, You will be mailed a pre-paid shipping label when You call the Administrator. Defective Product for which a claim is properly initiated must be received by the Administrator within thirty (30) days after expiration of the contract term stated on the Sales Receipt or your claim shall be deemed withdrawn by You.
Products found to be non-defective or excluded from coverage will be automatically returned to You at Your expense. If your claim for service cannot be processed due to missing accessories, parts or the owner’s manual, the Administrator will notify You in writing via U.S. mail or via email if Your email address was provided. If You do not ship the missing accessories, parts or owner’s manual, at your expense, within 30 days of notification by the Administrator We shall have the option, at Our sole discretion, to (1) deduct the cost of the missing accessories, parts or owner’s manual, or (2) cancel the claim and return the Product to You at Your expense.
You will receive updates on Your claim via e-mail if You have provided Us with Your e-mail address. You may check the status of Your claim at any time by going to www.circuitcity.com/protection (http://www.circuitcity.com/protection) plan and typing in Your ticket number. For other questions about the Contract or coverage offered under this plan, or to check the status of Your claim if You do not have Internet access, please call 1-800-871-2761 if You are issued a Circuit City Gift Card, or provided with a replacement product, the Contract is deemed fully satisfied. The Contract shall not be transferable to any replacement product, unless otherwise required by state law.
unless you were given a different type of information from a pamphlet. but basically you got scammed out of your 100 bucks, and no they won't refund it. but yeah, the info on that site is scattered and sucks, but you might as well just send it to M$ your self. and just cut your loss you might be able to get like a $5 or $10 for bitching about the ext. warranty deal, but maybe not.

**ATTENTION Xbox 360 console customers**
If you are experiencing three red lights flashing on the main console, rather than entitling your product and ending your Circuit City Advantage Protection Plan coverage, you may contact Microsoft directly. By going through Microsoft, you will be allowed you to keep your hard drive and take advantage of their extended 3 year guarantee as it relates to the Ring of Light.

To view information regarding this issue please visit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907534 or call 1-800-4MY-XBOX

just send yourself, sorry you got ripped, if it was in store exchange it might be okay. but i doubt you'll be able to play them as they'd just send it to service anyway.

Smithaveli
10-03-2008, 03:48 PM
This is why i never buy warrantys anyways, lol. I hope you never count on warrantys that come with items for free, because they only count if something mechanically is wrong with it. If you break it the day after you buy it, that 1 year free warranty will say tough titties, bitch.

Thus, warranties = waste of money in my eyes.

But, why sit here and ask us? Go into CC and throw a tantrum. The customer is always right, damnit! Pretend you never read that info, go in there, and say " Fix this, I bought your warranty."

Slarak
10-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Well I just got off the phone with about 3 different reps and raising hell I got somewhere. Let me first tell you what option they gave me. I could send the dead system to them and they would send me a REFURBISHED replacement or I send it to Microsoft.

After a bit of ranting the rep said that I could request a gift card for the price of the system at time of purchase. Of course I was like HELL YEAH. This means I'm going to be getting a gift card for $520 since I bought the system when it first came out. This is probably the best warranty I've ever had. Even BestBuy doesn't offer that option. Also they are sending me a pre paid mailer and said it will take 14 business from the time I mail the system to the time I get my gift card.

I can honestly say I've learned a valuable lesson. The next generation console that comes out I'm going to buy at Circuit City and when it gets close to the 2 year warranty I'm gonna send it back and buy a brand new one plus a few games for damn near FREE!!!!

Jim Ignatowski
10-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Yeah, its generally not a good idea to buy the 'stores' extended warranty. Most companies make about 75%-85% profit margin from the extended warranties whereas the item itself typically generates a very low profit margin (5-15% maybe). They certainly don't get that high profit margin from because a lot of people get to use the warranty.

Trust me, anyone who swears up and down by the extended warranty is the 1 out of 100 that got lucky and it paid off for them.

Slarak
10-03-2008, 07:05 PM
I guess now the only thing I can do is buy a memory card off of ebay and save as much data as possible. Unless there is some other way.

Smithaveli
10-04-2008, 02:10 AM
I'm confused.. you are getting your console fixed, AND getting a 520 gift card?

So rpetty much they just gave you 520 bucks for buying their system 14 months ago.

wtf i hate you.

MadMartign
10-04-2008, 02:21 AM
I'm confused.. you are getting your console fixed, AND getting a 520 gift card?

So rpetty much they just gave you 520 bucks for buying their system 14 months ago.

wtf i hate you.

no no, he's sending his console in and instead of getting it fixed they are sending him a 520$ gift card. so then he can just go and buy a brand new console at a cheaper price than he originally payed... so he will have extra money to get a game or something.. which is cool since he said if they fixed it he'd get a Refurbished console, which sucks.

well, how much is the new elite now, 419.99 or something right? too bad you lose all your saved games and stuff... unless you're able to get them all saved to a memory card. good luck

Smithaveli
10-04-2008, 02:24 AM
Just buy 2 cheap Memory cards from gamestop, used even.. gamesaves aren't that huge, plus it'll hardly make a dent in the 100+ profit your making, lol

TatteredRagDoll
10-04-2008, 03:23 AM
...if this is their solution then why the hell did I spend an extra $100 on a 2 year plan that serves no purpose?

Because you're an idiot. No, really, I'm serious. They offer it because those who don't know anything about consoles and whatnot will spend the extra money for it, because they think it actually has a purpose.

By the time you realize that you spent $100 for nothing, it is too late. They got their extra cash, and you feel like a dumbass.

Welcome to shady business practices. Hell, our GameStop doesn't recommend getting their warranty when you buy a 360 since theirs isn't as long as Microsoft's.

Slarak
10-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Because you're an idiot. No, really, I'm serious. They offer it because those who don't know anything about consoles and whatnot will spend the extra money for it, because they think it actually has a purpose.

By the time you realize that you spent $100 for nothing, it is too late. They got their extra cash, and you feel like a dumbass.

Welcome to shady business practices. Hell, our GameStop doesn't recommend getting their warranty when you buy a 360 since theirs isn't as long as Microsoft's.

Well seeing how I'm basically getting a full refund and I can buy an up to date model of the Elite PLUS i'll have an extra $120 to spend on games such as Fable or GoW2 I'd say I made out pretty well.

TatteredRagDoll
10-04-2008, 04:07 AM
...because no one in the retail industry has a spine anymore.

After a bit of ranting the rep said that I could request a gift card for the price of the system at time of purchase.

Keyword: request. Though it doesn't mean you'll actually get it. I'm assuming you have still have all the original receipts and whatnot?

Slarak
10-04-2008, 05:36 AM
Yea, box and all.

AOS Puck
10-04-2008, 06:27 AM
No need for memory cards, just buy a busted hard drive off ebay and throw in the box. That's what I did when my first console died on me and Circuit City had no idea. I also went the route of sending it in and receiving a gift card. It took about ten business days for the system to get to them and for them to send out the gift card. It then took about a week to get the card.

Slarak
10-04-2008, 06:58 PM
No need for memory cards, just buy a busted hard drive off ebay and throw in the box. That's what I did when my first console died on me and Circuit City had no idea. I also went the route of sending it in and receiving a gift card. It took about ten business days for the system to get to them and for them to send out the gift card. It then took about a week to get the card.

Well I just bought a HDD off of ebay that was broke for about $20, so thanks a bunch for the idea. One question though, did you send just the system itself back or the controller, cords, etc back also?

laundryman
10-04-2008, 07:02 PM
No offense, but I think you should have gone to Best Buy. Circuit City has never been good for me and their prices are jacked up (for me at least).

I got a 2 year protection plan at Best Buy for much less than $100 (I forget the actual price right now).

My guess is that since you have a warranty and don't have to pay to get it replaced, they don't want anything to do with it if it's coverd by the warranty.