PDA

View Full Version : Hardware problem: need advice.

Typogrammer
10-03-2008, 04:43 PM
This is turning out to be one of the worst birthdays I've ever had. *sigh*

I'm from Nintendoland, and we've only had our 360 for a month now. Technically, it's my little bro's 360, so I can't kill him at this point. (Keep reading; it all makes sense.)

Over the last week, our 360 has died a few times with a red light on the power supply. After reading support articles online, I've unplugged everything for an hour or so and then everything works fine again.

Well, yesterday everything changed. My little brother and brother-in-law were playing Gears of War when it cut out again. We unplugged it for a couple of hours and all seemed well. We plugged it back in again and that's when hell happened. I saw the infamous Red Ring of Death. Quad's 1, 3, and 4. I told him I'd take care of it today after I got back from work. After getting back this morning I realized that my (very impatient) brother popped open the case and voided the warranty.

At this point, I'm totally panicking. I'm honestly not sure what to do anymore. After a LOT of research, I think it's the power supply that's the problem, and not the Xbox itself. I'm going to go to a local game shop later and test my idea.

If it is the power supply, it should be a simple issue of contacting MS and shipping back the old brick. But what if they want the Xbox too?

Or worse, what if it's not the brick, and the 360 is screwed? I can't send it back because Mr. Genius decided to break it open. I guess I'm just stuck buying a new one. One that I own this time around.

But I still have that game stuck in the Xbox. How can I get it out if I can't power it up? I don't see a pinhole to stick a paper clip in.

Now that I'm reading over this, there's really not too much advice that can be given. I'm just totally stressed out with this and a major family issue...and on my birthday, no less! :(

SuperNova X2X
10-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Do you know anyone else with a 360?

If you do, I suggest you borrow their power pack and try that out. That's the only advice I can offer.

Typogrammer
10-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Do you know anyone else with a 360?

If you do, I suggest you borrow their power pack and try that out. That's the only advice I can offer.
I know a few people at work who have one, but I have no way to get in touch with them and I am off tonight. That's why I originally planned to go to the local game shop. The guys there are really helpful when it comes to borrowing cords to try stuff out.

SuperNova X2X
10-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Well, your best bet is to go to them then. If they are helpful, then there should be no problems.