PDA

View Full Version : Inverted Or Default

XlTwistedFatelx
10-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Im really curious about this topic...in FPS games I play inverted. Every single one of my friends are like how can you play like this. So answer Here :)

P.S. What could be the cause of me playing like this?

MyAbsolution
10-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Default, I cannot for the life of me stand to even play Inverted.

Most of my friends swear by default, but there are a couple die-hard inverted freaks who we all raise our eyebrows at... (but still love nonetheless)

All comes down to personal preference. OR for some reason your brain works faster/efficient in inverted play....

OR you are really an alien from the horse-head nebula.

XlTwistedFatelx
10-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Default, I cannot for the life of me stand to even play Inverted.

Most of my friends swear by default, but there are a couple die-hard inverted freaks who we all raise our eyebrows at... (but still love nonetheless)

All comes down to personal preference. OR for some reason your brain works faster/efficient in inverted play....

OR you are really an alien from the horse-head nebula.
hehe you caught me im the last one :) and congratz on the Lost Odyssey

Soap of Death
10-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Default, I don't mind inverted, I'll get used to it over time but I much prefer playing with the default setting.

o0 TommyGuns 0o
10-07-2008, 12:45 AM
i play inverted ive played like this for many years now

Strongbad107
10-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Ever since I first played the demo of Halo on the original Xbox at EB games, before it became Gamestop, I've just played inverted. I'm not sure if it's just because the it was preset as inverted, or if I changed it to inverted.

Everybody I know plays default, and I could easily change, but I prefer inverted.

Lancer Evolution
10-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Default, Inverted screws me up so bad. My friend plays with X default and Y inverted (for some games, that allows him.). I can't imagine playing like that.

XlTwistedFatelx
10-07-2008, 01:03 AM
lol geez, any reason behind why some one would play inverted? i remember i went to a halo 2 party like 4-5 years ago...they had me play default and i was terrible...then at the next i did inverted cause my friend said to just try...i was much better. but i dont know why

TatteredRagDoll
10-07-2008, 01:43 AM
Default, Inverted screws me up so bad. My friend plays with X default and Y inverted (for some games, that allows him.). I can't imagine playing like that.

Which is just "normal" inverted... X axis is horizontal, Y axis is vertical. Most people don't invert the X axis.

I play inverted on most any game, whether it be FPS or Platformer, and have as long as I can remember. I think it has to do with playing Top Gun or something a lot as a kid. LoL Most flying controls are inverted, so that just became the norm for me I suppose. I dunno, I've been gaming since the late 80's, so it is kinda hard to remember back that far. LoL

Most everyone I know plays default though, my husband included. I've tried doing it, but I just can't. It sucks if one of us ever needs to help the other one out. LoL

Tubson57
10-07-2008, 01:49 AM
I am always normal, with the exception of flight sim games like Ace Combat where I prefer inverted. I guess my brain feels like pulling back on a flight stick to increase altitude in an airplane rather than pointing up to go up.

Chaosflare
10-07-2008, 01:50 AM
I prefer to play invert to a point where it bugs out my friend and cousin. Every time I go to my friend's house to play anything, he literally goes "GRAAH! Inverted! WTF?"

xD

XlTwistedFatelx
10-07-2008, 01:56 AM
thats exactly what happened today, i had two friends over and the both are default...so i let them play cod on my account, there like how the hell can you play inverted...and i have no idea why :):drunk

phatRizzo
10-07-2008, 02:25 AM
I have to play default... I can play inverted if i had to and play fine, but Default is the way to go for me

Maka
10-07-2008, 02:42 AM
Inverted. Don't know why, but works best for me.

Skillet
10-07-2008, 02:45 AM
FPS: Regular
Anything where I can see the character... Inverted.

So basically, Halo 3 would be regular. GoW is inverted.

It just feels right.

CyanideBreathMint
10-07-2008, 02:49 AM
Default. Anything else would be a genetic defect. JK. ;)

jukkakhan
10-07-2008, 03:04 AM
Default for pretty much everything but flying or underwater navigation.

Tussell
10-07-2008, 03:14 AM
Default. Inverted is just crazy!

Up is up, down is down, that's how it should always be!

CLAPSTER
10-07-2008, 03:54 AM
I think it's how your used to I mean if people play inverted after awhile they get used to it, I used to play inverted and when I got the 360 I would get confused. Over time I got used to default and yeah that's what I use. :)

RaidenX49
10-07-2008, 04:00 AM
I could play as Inverted, but I don't like it. Default just seems like the normal way to do it, and it's what I'm used to now.

exo-apollo
10-07-2008, 04:34 AM
I play inverted because it's the way I used to play with a Joystick to play flight simulators when i was younger. It makes more sense to me, if you wanted to look down, and there was a stick in your head, you would get someone to push up on that stick right???The stick is in your head, geddit?

TatteredRagDoll
10-07-2008, 05:01 AM
FPS: Regular
Anything where I can see the character... Inverted.

So basically, Halo 3 would be regular. GoW is inverted.

It just feels right.

I think I actually used to be the opposite. FPS was inverted, while third person was normal. Now they're both inverted

I used to think that inverted was "normal" for FPS. It just came more naturally for me.

If you notice, there seems to be a pattern though. Most of us who played any sort of flight sim when we were younger, tend to play inverted in other games as well.

A Satyr
10-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Up is down, down is up

Eternal
10-07-2008, 05:18 AM
I don't see how people can bear to play inverted o.O

TatteredRagDoll
10-07-2008, 05:25 AM
...and some of us can't understand how some can play otherwise. LoL

Parkerktm
10-07-2008, 05:59 AM
I can only play default.

I honestly don't understand how people can play while having their joysticks inverted, but then again you inverted fans are probably saying the same thing about us :p. For me it just seems so unnatural and akward to play games that way, Would you eat inverted? Make love inverted? Sleep inverted? I think not......

agentplatypus
10-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Default for me.

gatorbait
10-07-2008, 07:31 AM
I think this is like the third time I've seen this type of topic and it wasn't until I saw these that I realized that most people prefer Default. I understand why most people enjoy it and it does make sense when playing but inverted feels more natural. Not just for FPSs but for any game I try and invert the y-axis for the camera. Crackdown is the only game I can think of that I played that didn't have this option and it drove me crazy.

Ephajim
10-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Default for me, inverted makes me die

AllThePenguins
10-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Also default for me, about half my friends play with inverted and we always get into a heated debate about which is better when we get together for a gaming session, especially if we have to share controllers around and then we have to got through the hassle of changing it around every time

ITS OVER 9000
10-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Im really curious about this topic...in FPS games I play inverted. Every single one of my friends are like how can you play like this. So answer Here :)

P.S. What could be the cause of me playing like this?

Maybe you were born upside down...nah im joking
i hate inverted it just gets confusing, halo had this option and i tried it completely sucked when you have to fight hoards of covenants and you forget how to aim down. guess it is personal preference which ever you feel comfortable with

XlTwistedFatelx
10-07-2008, 11:17 AM
hehe thanks im glad i was born upside down :)
i think the fact that i play with the controller as up is down, down is up...it doesnt make actual sense...

TatteredRagDoll
10-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Crackdown is the only game I can think of that I played that didn't have this option and it drove me crazy.

You can't change the camera? Well, found a game I'm definitely not getting.

exo-apollo
10-07-2008, 11:43 AM
i think the fact that i play with the controller as up is down, down is up...it doesnt make actual sense...

Well if you were a controller stick and you wanted to look down, you would push yourself forwards. Makes sense to me.

VeNGeD
10-07-2008, 12:12 PM
i can't play Inverted to save myself, I've always played Default.

Steelhead
10-07-2008, 12:22 PM
lol geez, any reason behind why some one would play inverted?
Perfect explanation..

http://gamepeople.wordpress.com/2006/11/07/down-is-up/

spankyNspronkle
10-07-2008, 12:37 PM
I always go default...

M85A21
10-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Everyone I know plays normal.
Although I always (since I was about 9) used invert.
But at the start of September I think I can't use Inverted and now use normal. It's really really wierd. Like my body forgot lol.

radar616
10-07-2008, 01:15 PM
inverted Y axis = win.
I'm the only one out of my friends that can play inverted. They get really annoyed when they have to change it back after ive been playing.

InkedUp
10-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Default for sure. Anything else and your a real weirdo, lol

garbfink
10-07-2008, 01:56 PM
I played inverted for years, and loved it, but then I played Metal Gear Solid 2 which did not have the option to invert so I had to get used to default, I then tried to go back to FPS with inverted and I just could not get used to it

So now I'm default but I'm a bit gutted about it though

exo-apollo
10-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Perfect explanation..

Kind of, but the author leaves out any mention of the flight simulator syndrome, which a few people on this thread have mentioned and is also the reason behind why I use an inverted control setup.

Royle
10-07-2008, 02:08 PM
I play default, I used to play inverted on the PS2 on games like James Bond etc. But now I can only play default.

Segnius
10-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Perfect explanation..

Doesn't make sense. In the first example, moving the joystick left would cause the character to look to his right, and vice versa. So if that theory was correct, the inverted players would opt for a control scheme that's fully inverted, not one that only changes the y-axis.

SuperNova X2X
10-07-2008, 09:03 PM
I always use default, but I have no trouble using inverted either. I just can't be bothered to cahnge the setting. My friends always ask me how I can play in inverted, but I guess it just comes natuarally.

DanTheManGum
10-07-2008, 09:10 PM
In all games but fighting I use the default controls (unless their just that bad). The only ones where I didnt use default controls is Tekken probably.

Wanstall99
10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
it neva used to bother which i played with but now its default all the time

ickygod
10-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Inverted! I'm surprised that so many people play default, I didn't know I was so out of the ordinary. I've always preferred inverted (Y-axis only though). I think of it like a joystick, tilting forward or back thus looking down or up.

master_shake_350
10-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Default.

If I want to go inverted I will learn to fly a plane :).

Dodgekfc
10-14-2008, 07:20 PM
i use to play on inverted but i play on default to its weird

Keano
10-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Default. Like most people who use default I cannot understand how you can use inverted. I suppose you just get used to a certain way of playing but I don't know why you would start using inverted in the first place.

Even on games such as warhawk I cannot stand to use inverted. It's just the wrong way around. I try to put it on but I always end up going in the wrong direction.

Ketchup Killer
10-14-2008, 07:54 PM
I play on default. My one buddy plays inverted and he is left handed. Maybe there is some connection between inverted and left handed people? I dont know.

dm master
10-14-2008, 08:18 PM
I play default i have never been able to play inverted it just feels wrong for me :)

TatteredRagDoll
10-15-2008, 03:04 AM
I play on default. My one buddy plays inverted and he is left handed. Maybe there is some connection between inverted and left handed people? I dont know.

I'm right-handed and play inverted... So I seriously doubt it.

Steve50013
10-15-2008, 03:10 AM
Default... If I have it on Invert I get confused when I first start playing...

Ketchup Killer
10-15-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm right-handed and play inverted... So I seriously doubt it.

Maybe you are just the exception to the rule. :confused:

Z3R0 S1X
10-15-2008, 02:28 PM
I have to play using default, my mind just doesn't work right using inverted unless I'm flying something in the game.

knockton55
10-15-2008, 02:41 PM
I just hate inverted, simple as that, never been able to play inverted since I've been little

Kwyjibo3637
10-15-2008, 06:49 PM
I played inverted on N64 with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, but now I can't play that way..Default feels so natural now.

Tenacious
10-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Default. I can't stand inverted.

Phil the Bear
10-15-2008, 07:01 PM
I used to play everything inverted and never understood why anyone would play default.....then for some reason I got my Xbox 360 a year and a bit ago and started playing default.

I'm not sure what happened? After years and years of inverted my brain swapped sides. Everyone I know plays inverted and think I am weird for playing default.

danteraines452
10-16-2008, 02:00 AM
I can play ether inverted or default it doesn't bother me. I think this is mainly bceause a couple of my friends play inverted, and i was to lazy to keep switching the settings, so i learnt to play both. My brain just knows know who ever passes me the contoller / whoevers house im at, wether it will be default or inverted.

The only games that i have to used inverted on is flight sims, i just can't do it with default it just does feel right for some reason.

sinista12
10-16-2008, 03:47 PM
I could play inverted, but I prefer Default. Default is what I play all my games on. If I had to play inverted it would take 10-20 mins to get use to then it would be on.

Wehttam
10-16-2008, 04:06 PM
I use inverted in console fps games, but whenever i play CS i use default and i think thats cos of the mouse. I also use the default with gears of war because its a 3ps. I dont know why i use inverted i just always have done, i think its because my settings were inverted in goldeneye on the n64 and i have adapted it to newer games. But for me its very easy to switch between the two - it takes about 5 mins, at first its really annoying but you get used to it.

rrapp00
10-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I play Inverted and can not for the life of me play with default it drives me crazy. I only know of about 5 people that play inverted. I have played like this since N64 Goldeneye haha and have no explantion why.

nekobun
10-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Personally, I use default for FPSes, but inverted seems to be a better option for people more used to air/space combat gaming. No direct advantage to one or the other, really.

reddragon6288
10-17-2008, 01:42 PM
I definitely go with Y-axis Invert. I just can't do it any other way, and yes I played through Crackdown wishing I could tweak it just so I could play a little better (but I survived, and beat the sh*t out of the game).

Now as to why I do it, I only had two explanations.

1) I played a few flight sims when I was younger, but I don't think I played that many to were it was burned into my psyche.

2) I would actually write out what I think is the second one, but SteelHand's linked article explains it better:

http://gamepeople.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/inverse.thumbnail.gif (http://gamepeople.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/inverse.gif)Behind: If the player feels they are controlling movement from behind their head with joypad , they are likely to find an inverted control scheme works best for them. Pulling back on their stick therefore tilts their head up and should move the play field up.

I've actually told this to one of my friends (maybe not the same wording though). He thought I was over-analyzing it, but turns out I wasn't the only one who believes this to be true.

onemorechanc
10-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Default for me. I have friends that use the inverted option, but I can't stand it.

ComplexEnigma
12-04-2008, 08:56 AM
I play with inverted y axis, which some people find wierd. i also play with inverted x axis when i can which most people abuse me for when they use my controller......serve them right for using my profile;)

Lordvader178
12-04-2008, 08:57 AM
I usually just play in default because it makes sense. If the right stick goes up, you look up. It's pretty simple really.

CloudStr1f3
12-04-2008, 04:28 PM
I play inverted, I can't function on default settings. It's probably because I'm a die-hard Ace Combat fan, so I just think like a pilot I guess.

Pwnd1337
12-04-2008, 04:35 PM
I used to play both, I'd just play whatever the game normally came in.

But, now since most games come in "default", I just use that.

I used to play Halo: Combat Evolved on PC inverted :).

Vyper666
12-04-2008, 04:53 PM
I've been playing inverted the very day I picked up my first PS1 controller

Peace
12-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I think it's conditioning more than brain function. I play inverted because that's what I'm used to, but it also seems more intuitive to me. A pilot pushes the stick forward to dive and back to climb. A puppeteer pulls back on the control rod to make the marionette look up and vice versa. I think we inverted people think more in terms of 3d space/forward and backward whereas the default people see the game space as x/y coordinates on a flat zone. Of course, when I'm using a mouse to navigate the 2d plane of my desktop or image editor, up is up and down is down, but when I play fps with a keyboard and mouse or I am using a lathe in a 3d modeler then it feels more natural to use push/pull or forward/backward inverted scheme in the 3d space. In any event, when people say that my controls make no sense or that they are backwards, well, I guess I feel the same way about their controls...

Ry Fryy
12-04-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm pretty sure anyone can play default or inverted, it just depends on what you learned first. I use default but give me an hour or two with an FPS with inverted on and I'll be fine with it. It's just difficult to go back and forth between them quickly. Although some people can probably adapt quicker than others. It's like people who can do things with both hands (ie writing, masturbate, etc.).

Gumby™
12-04-2008, 10:11 PM
I played with inverted in the Halo 1 days but eventually switched over from the dark side to default.

Milk
12-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm a default type of guy.

cincychaos
12-05-2008, 03:31 AM
Star Fox on SNES got me hooked on to Invert and I haven't looked back since then

Closed Gate
12-05-2008, 03:40 AM
Default I could probably play inverted though It'd just take some getting used to.

DarkApollo
12-05-2008, 03:41 AM
I can get used to playing inverted after a while, but I much rather prefer to play default. I remember my old Xbox (got the RRoD) automatically put some games on the inverted setting. I didn't know why, I thought it was normal. After a while you get used to it.

Darkness zora
12-05-2008, 04:10 AM
i use to play inverted on the n64 but now i play default

Blue Radium
12-05-2008, 04:25 AM
For flying games I have to play inverted, thanks to Star Fox 64. For FPS games, I can only play them on default. It's strange, but that is how I play games for some reason. My friend plays inverted for shooting games, and he always switches my controls around.

Ho5tiLe D
12-05-2008, 06:49 AM
i play default. but on the old computer flight sims i play inverted.

Simzo
12-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Default, Inverted is verging on impossible for me.

sbm
12-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Default only.... Im not used to Inverted.... Its a bit strange for me....

shadaik
12-05-2008, 11:20 AM
I defaulted inverted in the player preferences. And for a reason - the main reason why I never finished Yaris (besides it being just plain bad) is that there is no inversion option.
I just can't play un-inverted, two decades of flight simulators and such be thanked.

eXyle
12-05-2008, 01:37 PM
I definitely go with Y-axis Invert. I just can't do it any other way, and yes I played through Crackdown wishing I could tweak it just so I could play a little better (but I survived, and beat the sh*t out of the game).

Now as to why I do it, I only had two explanations.

1) I played a few flight sims when I was younger, but I don't think I played that many to were it was burned into my psyche.

2) I would actually write out what I think is the second one, but SteelHand's linked article explains it better:

I've actually told this to one of my friends (maybe not the same wording though). He thought I was over-analyzing it, but turns out I wasn't the only one who believes this to be true.

So according to that quote you gave moving left or right should make your whole head move left or right, not turn.

Anyways I use default, only when flying a plane I prefer inverted

SuperGaz
12-05-2008, 01:51 PM
haha i love it, what a thread. INVERTED FTW BABY! Everyone knows up is down

only the y axis tho. otherwise. Not the x axis, that would be stupid.....

Malikkr
12-05-2008, 05:58 PM
I can play inverted, but default is more comfortable. So I use default